+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Marriage is falling apart and I am dependent PR holder, will it affect my PR?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
...So luckily I stayed back.

He made me write a consent letter before he left Canada stating that I am responsible for my accommodation, health, groceries and expenditures, included my dad in CC and emailed too.

For instance say, we get divorced in India, can I still fly back to Canada as I am dependent PR ? Can he revoke my PR by any chance once we get divorced in India ?
Is he in Canada now? If not, use this time to get out.

And while I am not Indian and am not an expert: do NOT go there with him and stay with him or his family. You will not be protected there.

I would not return at all if any doubt. If a divorce can be effected without you returning to India, that's fine and should be sufficient.

Reactions: YVR123

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
most of the time it is verbal abuse, twice he abused me physically , sometimes over call but how can I document these things?.

when he physically abused me last time I called the police but he snatched my phone and switched it off, he got scared and immediately he asked me to leave to India and booked our flight tickets , I denied to travel with as he did not give me the right reasons for our immediate travel, once he said we are going for mutual divorce in India , when I said we will take divorce here in Canada, he stared giving other reasons to take me to India and dump with his parents. I explained my issues with his parents but they advised me to tolerate his actions because I am a girl. So I denied travelling with him to India, then he started blackmailing that I am under his PR and I am his responsibility, so I should travel with him. When I disagreed, he made one his friends who is a girl call me , that girl also scared me saying that if I don’t travel with him, he would need to inform police , and police will come, police pick me up and put me in a shelter , also he won’t be able to cross the Canada border if I don’t travel along with him. She scared me with a set of lies. Luckily I had a friend who is married and a PR holder too, when I checked with him, he confirmed that there is no such thing at all . So luckily I stayed back.

He made me write a consent letter before he left Canada stating that I am responsible for my accommodation, health, groceries and expenditures, included my dad in CC and emailed too.

For instance say, we get divorced in India, can I still fly back to Canada as I am dependent PR ? Can he revoke my PR by any chance once we get divorced in India ?
I agree with the other member, DO NOT travel to India with him if you don't feel safe.
It's likely not safe. You can file for a divorce here and start living here on your own. If he is not in Canada currently, it's the best time to leave the home.
Even staying at shelters or temporary with friends would be safer than in an abusive relationship.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
There is no such thing as dependent PR. You either are a PR or not. He is financially responsible for you for 3 years so if you go on social assistance he has to reimburse the money. Would add that welfare payments are very low and difficult to survive on so should be avoided if possible.

Reactions: Anita2205

Anita2205

Jun 3, 2024
There is no such thing as dependent PR. You either are a PR or not. He is financially responsible for you for 3 years so if you go on social assistance he has to reimburse the money. Would add that welfare payments are very low and difficult to survive on so should be avoided if possible.
Can you please explain more on this line ‘Would add that welfare payments are very low and difficult to survive on so should be avoided if possible.’ What do you mean by avoid here? .

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Can you please explain more on this line ‘Would add that welfare payments are very low and difficult to survive on so should be avoided if possible.’ What do you mean by avoid here? .
It is extremely difficult to actually live on what you receive on welfare payments especially if you live in a big city. The payments are especially low for single adults given cost of living. Don’t think most on welfare are able to afford basics without charity.

Anita2205

Jun 3, 2024
It is extremely difficult to actually live on what you receive on welfare payments especially if you live in a big city. The payments are especially low for single adults given cost of living. Don’t think most on welfare are able to afford basics without charity.
For now until I find a job my family is there to support financially. Thanks for the info. Actively looking for part time jobs too. I can’t wait to get out this toxic relationship

Reactions: YVR123 and canuck78