+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

MARRIAGE AND ADDING SPOUSE AFTER COPR ISSUED BUT YET TO TRAVEL

ezzylee

Apr 5, 2024
Hello everyone,

I'm aware that adding your spouse after receiving the COPR will result in the cancellation of the existing COPR, and the profile (including your spouse's) will be reviewed again.

Could anyone who has recently gone through this process share their timeline and how long it took for a new COPR to be issued?

Had to repost this as it seems I posted in the wrong thread.

Thanks.

Bolanle21

Jun 28, 2024
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney
Hello ,
Please , have you been able to get the necessary information on this ?

Hello everyone,

I'm aware that adding your spouse after receiving the COPR will result in the cancellation of the existing COPR, and the profile (including your spouse's) will be reviewed again.

Could anyone who has recently gone through this process share their timeline and how long it took for a new COPR to be issued?

Had to repost this as it seems I posted in the wrong thread.

Thanks.

ezzylee

Apr 5, 2024
Hello ,
Please , have you been able to get the necessary information on this ?
Hi Bolanle,

I’ve not gotten a lot of information on this. So far I’ve only been able to talk to one person and she said there’s been a lot of delay. I think she started the process of adding her spouse mid January this year and as at early May, she got a mail that the additional docs to add spouse had just been forwarded to the responsible office.

So she’s been in the process of adding her spouse for over 4 months post PPR. I’ve not texted her recently sha, so I don’t know if there’s been any new updates.

ezzylee

Apr 5, 2024
Hi Bolanle,

I’ve not gotten a lot of information on this. So far I’ve only been able to talk to one person and she said there’s been a lot of delay. I think she started the process of adding her spouse mid January this year and as at early May, she got a mail that the additional docs to add spouse had just been forwarded to the responsible office.

So she’s been in the process of adding her spouse for over 4 months post PPR. I’ve not texted her recently sha, so I don’t know if there’s been any new updates.
Just texted her and she said they’ve sent biometric request for her spouse (no medical request yet). Also it’s actually going to 7 months post PPR.

I hope I’ve provided you with enough info. For me, I just got married last month and I’ve started my own process this month, so fingers crossed.

Bolanle21

Jun 28, 2024
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney
Thank you very much
This is very informative.
My situation is a bit dicey. My COPR is expiring ending of next month and ircc has not gotten back to me since I notified them about my change in marital status(2 weeks ago).

I can’t land with the old COPR as it carries “single”.
Will I have to start over If my COPR expires?
Any info will be appreciated .
Thank you .

Just texted her and she said they’ve sent biometric request for her spouse (no medical request yet). Also it’s actually going to 7 months post PPR.

I hope I’ve provided you with enough info. For me, I just got married last month and I’ve started my own process this month, so fingers crossed.

ezzylee

Apr 5, 2024
Thank you very much
This is very informative.
My situation is a bit dicey. My COPR is expiring ending of next month and ircc has not gotten back to me since I notified them about my change in marital status(2 weeks ago).

I can’t land with the old COPR as it carries “single”.
Will I have to start over If my COPR expires?
Any info will be appreciated .
Thank you .
The situation is indeed a bit tricky. You’re right that you cannot use your current COPR since your status has changed from single to married, and you’ve appropriately notified IRCC.

I don’t believe you’ll need to start the application process over, as your application is complete; they now just need to process your spouse’s background check, medical exams, and biometrics.

My advice is to call IRCC to get their guidance on the next steps. Typically, when a family member is added after a COPR is issued, the original COPR is canceled, and a new one is issued. If your medical exams expire during this process, you (the primary applicant) may be required to undergo a new medical exam. Remember, the expiration of your COPR is tied to the expiration date of your medical exams, so it’s likely this is what will happen.

Again, please call IRCC for more information. Additionally, consider posting your question on the Canada Express Entry thread on Nairaland for more advice.

Reactions: Lord_Tony

Pattiiluvz

Jun 2, 2020
I’m in the same position. I added my spouse in January and I am still waiting. My husband has kids but they are not accompanying. I am freaking out as I am pregnant and I am here alone in Canada. I called and informed IRCC but they just tell me the application is processing. Does anyone have a better idea of what I can do?

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda
I’m in the same position. I added my spouse in January and I am still waiting. My husband has kids but they are not accompanying. I am freaking out as I am pregnant and I am here alone in Canada. I called and informed IRCC but they just tell me the application is processing. Does anyone have a better idea of what I can do?
Unfortunately, nothing you can do except for waiting.

ezzylee

Apr 5, 2024
Hi Pattiiluvz,

I believe your situation is different since you are already in Canada and sponsoring your spouse, correct?

The person I've been talking to is outside of Canada. She has received her COPR but hasn't traveled to Canada yet. She added her spouse in January, and he received a biometrics request last month.

If you are adding your spouse after you have traveled to Canada, the process is called spousal sponsorship, which people say typically takes around one year.

I am in a similar situation as the lady I mentioned earlier; I just started the process of adding my spouse late last month.

As someone mentioned earlier, all you can do now is wait.

Have they asked you to submit documents, or did you only raise a webform?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
There's really nothing you can do but wait. It is normal for this process to take a while and hopefully you are close to an approval. I assume your husband's kids have completed the medical even though they are non accompanying?

Your husband can of course apply for a TRV or eTA to come as a visitor.

Reactions: ezzylee

ezzylee

Apr 5, 2024
Yes I have submitted the documents they requested
When were you asked to submit the documents?

When you informed IRCC about your marriage, did you just raise a webform and attach the marriage certificate, or did you include other documents as well?

I'm asking these questions to understand if I need to do anything differently. When I submitted mine late last month, I only raised a webform and attached my marriage certificate. Another person I spoke to suggested that I should raise another webform and include the marriage certificate along with other documents to add a spouse.

Thanks for your help.