+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Manila Tread for English Speakers - join here!

Steph C

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 30 2012
Doc's Request.
N/A
File Transfer...
Sep 27 2012
Med's Request
April 15 2013 (re-med)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
March 18 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 22 2013
LANDED..........
June 6 2013
scos said:
Also filled a lot of app types in the spreadsheet. I focused on getting the type and not so much on the number of dependents (since people don't always mention them). So if you look up your entry and it is N/A or incorrect, please put in the proper value.
It's so hard to tell by people's posts. Have you noticed Filipinos will call people their husband/wife even if they are actually not.. I mean not just random people, lol :p But I noticed a lot of Common Law and Conjugal applicants will refer to their spouse as husband/wife just for lack of better word.

scos

Champion Member
Jun 11, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2012-08-01
AOR Received.
2012-10-16
Med's Request
2013-05-02
Med's Done....
2013-05-07
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
2013-05-02, In-Process: 2013-06-04, Decision Made: 2013-07-25
VISA ISSUED...
2013-07-30
LANDED..........
2013-08-18
Steph C said:
It's so hard to tell by people's posts. Have you noticed Filipinos will call people their husband/wife even if they are actually not.. I mean not just random people, lol :p But I noticed a lot of Common Law and Conjugal applicants will refer to their spouse as husband/wife just for lack of better word.
Yeah, so it may be a little skewed towards marriage so far. But even with the few conjugal and common-law apps, you can see the trend emerging with married couples processing fastest. And dependents really add time. Hopefully as she data fills in the results will be more reliable.

fabanne12

Apr 30, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
MANILA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Request
October 7, 2013
REPOST>>>
here is my situation, I was married in the Philippines to a Canadian Citizen in 2001, became Naturalized Citizen 2005, marriage broke down and got divorced 2011, and I have a Boyfriend in the Philippines for more than 3 years, during this time in our relationship, I travelled in the Philippines 4 times to see him, and we planned to get married, but since I am still married under Philippine Law, we cannot get married there, the option we are looking into now is having my DIVORCE recgonize in the Philippines which is way too much, I mean very expensive, we have been told by this lawyer about $7,000 and we don't have that much money to spend for the PETITION FOR RECOGNITION OF FOREIGN DIVORCE, so we decided to get married in HongKong, it is cheaper there travel wise and the price for the marriage ceremony itself, but our problem now is, If I sponsor him after we get married in HK, will the Canadian Immigration recognize it, since the Applicant would be from the Philippines which is my BF, I check the Document checklist for the applicant and they are asking for a National Statistic Office copy of the Marriage Licence, which we will not have because we will be having ht HK Marriage Certificate, I want to make sure first on what we should do, so we will not have any problem in filing the sponsrship in the Canadian Immigration, we are just 2 people inlove and wanted so bad to be together, and star a new life as husband and wife in this beautiful country Canada, I want to share my life, experiences and everything here with him, please help

gortandmugs

Star Member
Feb 6, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-08-2012
AOR Received.
04-09-2012
File Transfer...
16-10-2012
Med's Done....
04/07/2012
Passport Req..
29/04/2013
VISA ISSUED...
17/05/2013
LANDED..........
13/06/2013
doljan said:
if they are only asking for a copy then its not a ppr, PPR means passport request of the principal applicant which is your wife so if they want a copy of your passport, maybe they are just asking additional docs.
that's how i see it,.. ;)
they did ask for her passport to courier it to the CEM....and just another copy of mine!!!!

GoonerClank

Apr 14, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-03-2013
File Transfer...
11-04-2013
Med's Done....
24-01-2013 (Expires 24-02-2014)
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
04-09-2013<br />DM: 23-01-2014<br />COPR expires: 20-02-2014
VISA ISSUED...
Visa Issued: 24-01-2014
LANDED..........
15-02-2014
scos said:
Yeah, so it may be a little skewed towards marriage so far. But even with the few conjugal and common-law apps, you can see the trend emerging with married couples processing fastest. And dependents really add time. Hopefully as she data fills in the results will be more reliable.

Impressive amount of work scos... Yours and everyones efforts are very much appreciated

Question: Did anyone here try to get a TRV before going the sponsorship route. If so, did you get it, were you denied?...

Dan_from_Surrey

Nov 5, 2010
Surrey BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-09-2012
Doc's Request.
Submitted with app
AOR Received.
Sponsorship approval 24-10-12
File Transfer...
24-10-12
Med's Request
Meds received 1-11-12
Med's Done....
15-08-2012 - Meds re-done 24-10-2013
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
04-06-2013 DM 04-11-13
VISA ISSUED...
11-12-2013
LANDED..........
22-11-2013!
fabanne12 said:
REPOST>>>
here is my situation, I was married in the Philippines to a Canadian Citizen in 2001, became Naturalized Citizen 2005, marriage broke down and got divorced 2011, and I have a Boyfriend in the Philippines for more than 3 years, during this time in our relationship, I travelled in the Philippines 4 times to see him, and we planned to get married, but since I am still married under Philippine Law, we cannot get married there, the option we are looking into now is having my DIVORCE recgonize in the Philippines which is way too much, I mean very expensive, we have been told by this lawyer about $7,000 and we don't have that much money to spend for the PETITION FOR RECOGNITION OF FOREIGN DIVORCE, so we decided to get married in HongKong, it is cheaper there travel wise and the price for the marriage ceremony itself, but our problem now is, If I sponsor him after we get married in HK, will the Canadian Immigration recognize it, since the Applicant would be from the Philippines which is my BF, I check the Document checklist for the applicant and they are asking for a National Statistic Office copy of the Marriage Licence, which we will not have because we will be having ht HK Marriage Certificate, I want to make sure first on what we should do, so we will not have any problem in filing the sponsrship in the Canadian Immigration, we are just 2 people inlove and wanted so bad to be together, and star a new life as husband and wife in this beautiful country Canada, I want to share my life, experiences and everything here with him, please help
I would say no, you will be out of luck. Canada does not recognize polygamist marriages. And according to your statement, you where married in the Phils, opted to not have that marriage dissolved properly, and that disillusionment properly recognized for the country it occurred, but instead just went to another country and stacked another marriage on top of it, basically taking two wrongs, and now trying to claim a "right".

To top that off, you committed the second wrong with full knowledge of the offense, with the only defense being the cost. As far as Canada (CIC) should be concerned, that would be akin, to me stealing a 100,000 car, knowing I can only afford a 20,000 dollar car, but justifying it by saying I really wanted the more expensive car though. Then expecting that that reasoning should be enough to exonerate me.

I just don't see it happening. The fact you both are in love, or want to be together, is neither here nor there, you are now in violation of Canadian marriage laws (married twice).

fabanne12

Apr 30, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
MANILA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Request
October 7, 2013
how can I violate the Canadian Marriage LAw if I am divorced??

fabanne12

Apr 30, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
MANILA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Request
October 7, 2013
that is why we opted and planning to get married in in HongKOng where divorce is recognized, and just I am worried, about filing the application and submitting HK Marriage Licence...

Dan_from_Surrey

Nov 5, 2010
Surrey BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-09-2012
Doc's Request.
Submitted with app
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
24-10-12
Med's Request
Meds received 1-11-12
Med's Done....
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
04-06-2013 DM 04-11-13
VISA ISSUED...
11-12-2013
LANDED..........
22-11-2013!
fabanne12 said:
how can I violate the Canadian Marriage LAw if I am divorced??
As far as the Phillipines is concerned you are still married to your first Husband correct? Which would (I guess I should say could) mean that legally, you would be in violation of Marriage laws in the Phils. Without getting that recognition by the NSO. Because their records will show you married twice in the Phils. And it is those records that CIC will be looking for.

So assuming your first marriage was recognized in the Phil's where it happened, when you where married. That one is still on the books. Now you are talking about adding a second one to the books. You don't even have a defense of ignorance here, because you are questioning it yourself.

Your post spells that out quite clearly, you have a serious doubt on the legality of your new union, and are actively trying to circumvent Phil's law for the purposes of immigration of your new husband.

Really the smart thing to of done in this case would of been for you and your past husband to of made sure all the books where cleaned of that first marriage. But that is neither here nor there now. From what you are saying, I take it you are still legally recognized as being married in the Phils. Now you are putting yourself into a situation where you will be legally recognized as married in the Phils, and in HK. Which means you wouldn't be recognized as married at all in Canada (from where I am sitting) because Canada doesn't recognized polygamist (begin married to two people at one time) marriages. Even if you are not with your first husband, and legally divorced from him here in Canada, you are not in a position to be legally wed in your home country.

HK may recognize your new union, but Canada may not, and knowing the Canadian stand on polygamy I would err on the side of not.

Keep in mind, I am in no way a legal marriage attorney or anything, so take the opinion with a grain or two of salt. But just looking at the face presented of what you have posted, you are really setting yourself up for a lot of heartbreak and expended energy with out some proof of disillusionment from the Phils of the first marriage.

When you file for immigration, you would probably be filing from the Phils, and CIC will want the marriage details, Married to Husband two in HK, still legally married to husband 1 in the Phils/divorced from husband 1 in Canada. From where I am sitting it doesn't look good at all.

I just see red flags all over this for anyone examining the file when you submit, as it stands now. I would be looking for some way to get that first marriage wiped off the books before proceeding with anything else. But your mileage may very.

I do get the impression though, you are going to keep questioning this until you get a favorable answer here. And that, although good to your ears, may not be much help to you, I would advise you make an appointment with a immigration attorney for a half hour or so, and just explain your situation to them and get a real opinion and not one from a anonymous internet forum. Opinions are like assh**les everyone has one, and I think you are in need for a decent legal opinion.

Luckyman

Sep 18, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dan...just leave it...it's been answered in 2 other threads, in addition to yours.

At this point I believe fabanne12 is just looking for the answer she wants to hear.

Just trying to save you some time buddy!
Cheers!

fabanne12

Apr 30, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
MANILA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Request
October 7, 2013
no we are planning to get married in Hong KOng as i have metioned earlier where divorce is recognized and honored, i have met someone here and their application is in process and in a PPR stage :)

Luckyman

Sep 18, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Again....

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/hk-marriage-certificate-for-canadian-embassy-manila-t146241.0.html
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/hk-marriage-certificate-for-canadian-embassy-manila-t146241.0.html

AND

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/question-marriage-certificate-in-hk-no-need-for-endorsement-in-nso-t146194.0.html
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/question-marriage-certificate-in-hk-no-need-for-endorsement-in-nso-t146194.0.html

fabanne12

Apr 30, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
MANILA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Request
October 7, 2013
LUCKY man rude but thanks anyway

Dan_from_Surrey

Nov 5, 2010
Surrey BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-09-2012
Doc's Request.
Submitted with app
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
24-10-12
Med's Request
Meds received 1-11-12
Med's Done....
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
04-06-2013 DM 04-11-13
VISA ISSUED...
11-12-2013
LANDED..........
22-11-2013!
fabanne12 said:
LUCKY man rude but thanks anyway
No, actually that wasn't rude, Luckyman perfectly showed what I was saying. You are fishing for a favorable answer on a internet forum, and looking to base your future on that. And if you you do, that is fine and on you.

But it would appear that on first glance you have been enlightened to the need for a ROM and CENOMAR etc. etc. but you don't want to seem to believe that that applies to you as well. And that is fine, you can believe as you are going to believe, I am a huge believer in "if it feels good, do it".

But sticking your head in the sand, and fingers in your ears and singing "lalalalala" while someone tries to give you an honest response, because you don't want to believe it, because someone else, in some other situation, did such and such, so you should do something based on that, is what floats your boat, then go for it. At the end of the day it is your end you husbands life together you are playing with, I have absolutely zero invested in your immigration outcome.

In your situation, the cost of having the divorce is something you don't want to pay, you don't seem to want to do the annulment, you seem more hell bent on circumventing things by going through HK, then hey go for it.

But in so far as this forum is concerned, you asked for an opinion (several times), you got it (several times), you are still fishing for the right answer, and arguing any answer you feel is wrong. The forum, provides a place to vent, sound off, commiserate ask questions and hopefully get some sort of informed opinion based on previous experiences of other members. And while not providing all the answers it at least gives us a nudge in knowing which way to go to find the answers we need.

You have gotten all of that so far, but you still insist on fishing for your answer.

I will end this off by saying if the 7000 for getting the divorce was to dear of a cost, then maybe a hundred bucks or what ever for an attorney, is a good option to at least find out what YOUR options are. If a hundred bucks is to much of an investment or burden in your future life with your new husband, then you probably need to examine your priorities before making any other moves.