+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Maintained Status - Leaving the country concern

JToPrey

Aug 22, 2024
Hello all,

I am reaching out as I need assistance to confirm something; firstly, I am in the country from Ireland through the IEC 2-year working visa, I am applying for PR through my common-law partner. We're legitimately common-law and are just waiting to hear what the result of the application will be. However, my visa expires soon in mid-September, and we only sent the application away this week. Also, I have flights booked to go home for 2 weeks at Christmas. So, that leads me to these questions:
  1. I am wondering, how long should it take for me to get maintained status after my submission, or is this automatically applied?
  2. Once (If) I get maintained status, can I leave the country to see my family and continue to work afterwards? - Research tells me no, but I'm not 100%
    1. Is there a workaround to this is pre-plan to have a visa?
    2. Could my current employer aid me in this? - Even if just insurance if could not work once I returned.
  3. What kind of time frames have people been seeing for PR applications through common-law? - I know the website has estimates, but in my experience, they are not accurate.
Let me know if there is anything else you need for further context or clarifications. Thanks in advance if you're able to shine some light on this for me, it would help with a lot of worry & stress my partner and I are currently having over this.

P.s Apologies if this is in the wrong section, this is my first post here after reading so many!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello all,

I am reaching out as I need assistance to confirm something; firstly, I am in the country from Ireland through the IEC 2-year working visa, I am applying for PR through my common-law partner. We're legitimately common-law and are just waiting to hear what the result of the application will be. However, my visa expires soon in mid-September, and we only sent the application away this week. Also, I have flights booked to go home for 2 weeks at Christmas. So, that leads me to these questions:
  1. I am wondering, how long should it take for me to get maintained status after my submission, or is this automatically applied?
  2. Once (If) I get maintained status, can I leave the country to see my family and continue to work afterwards? - Research tells me no, but I'm not 100%
    2. Could my current employer aid me in this? - Even if just insurance if could not work once I returned.
  3. What kind of time frames have people been seeing for PR applications through common-law? - I know the website has estimates, but in my experience, they are not accurate.
Let me know if there is anything else you need for further context or clarifications. Thanks in advance if you're able to shine some light on this for me, it would help with a lot of worry & stress my partner and I are currently having over this.

P.s Apologies if this is in the wrong section, this is my first post here after reading so many!
You don’t get implied status from an IEC. You can apply for a SOWP once you receive AOR from your spousal sponsorship.

Reactions: JToPrey

forevermore76

May 19, 2024
Hello all,

You can apply for a new IEC while you wait for AOR. I don't think any application will allow you to continue working at the moment though.

JToPrey

Aug 22, 2024
You don’t get implied status from an IEC. You can apply for a SOWP once you receive AOR from your spousal sponsorship.
Perfect, I'll wait for the AOR and continue from there with your plan to apply for SOWP. Looking at the SOWP, it seems to fit my situation perfectly, not sure how I missed this! - Must've went down the wrong rabbit hole.

Really appreciate the prompt and informative response on this.

JToPrey

Aug 22, 2024
You can apply for a new IEC while you wait for AOR. I don't think any application will allow you to continue working at the moment though.
Hmmm, I could be wrong but I thought the IEC was limited to one per person, maybe my information is incorrect? I'm 29 from Ireland if that helps.

Also, the reply above from canuck78 seems to answer my question correctly, I'm going to follow their advice with waiting for AOR and then applying for SOWP. Thanks for you input on this in any case, I appreciate it greatly that people are willing to help here so much, you are doing great work!

forevermore76

May 19, 2024
Hmmm, I could be wrong but I thought the IEC was limited to one per person, maybe my information is incorrect? I'm 29 from Ireland if that helps.

Also, the reply above from canuck78 seems to answer my question correctly, I'm going to follow their advice with waiting for AOR and then applying for SOWP. Thanks for you input on this in any case, I appreciate it greatly that people are willing to help here so much, you are doing great work!
Depends on the category with some exceptions if you can apply twice.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/iec/eligibility.html?selection=ie-yp#selection

Also, AOR can take a few months and so can the work permit. You might have to come back as a visitor to be in Canada and wait.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Perfect, I'll wait for the AOR and continue from there with your plan to apply for SOWP. Looking at the SOWP, it seems to fit my situation perfectly, not sure how I missed this! - Must've went down the wrong rabbit hole.

Really appreciate the prompt and informative response on this.
If your IEC expires before you can apply for SOWP you need to change to visitor status.

JToPrey

Aug 22, 2024
If your IEC expires before you can apply for SOWP you need to change to visitor status.
Okay, thank you. I've seen varying reports for how it takes to get the AOR, but submitting this application for common-law PR online, it can take 1-3 months, and then another 117 days for SOWP, is this accurate do you know? - I understand this is hard for you to accurately determine this, but even word of mouth and personal experience would be appreciated.

JToPrey

Aug 22, 2024
Depends on the category with some exceptions if you can apply twice.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/iec/eligibility.html?selection=ie-yp#selection

Also, AOR can take a few months and so can the work permit. You might have to come back as a visitor to be in Canada and wait.
Ah yes, Ireland means only once unfortunately. Seems that I may have come back as a visitor if it comes to it. Have you ever heard of an employer helping out with this issue?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Okay, thank you. I've seen varying reports for how it takes to get the AOR, but submitting this application for common-law PR online, it can take 1-3 months, and then another 117 days for SOWP, is this accurate do you know? - I understand this is hard for you to accurately determine this, but even word of mouth and personal experience would be appreciated.
Times are extremely variable