+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Low Grades, Diploma, Degree & Visa

farhadhassan

Nov 18, 2019
Hi guys,

My grades in Classes 11 and 12 were not great (60%) although they were slightly better in Class 10 (80%). My marks in bachelors and LLB (Bachelor of Law) are even more mediocre. Additionally, I am 30 year old Pakistani and, at the heart of it, my eventual target is that if life in Canada suits me, I would want to settle there and obtain permanent residence, yada yada.

More immediately, I am looking to obtain study permit in Canada under SDS and I am willing to start off my post-secondary education again. However, considering that my Grade 12 marks were low and from what I have observed going through university admission requirements, I feel that I will not be able to get admission in most degree programs. Is that so? If not, what universities and programs can I choose?

An alternative that I saw was to obtain admission in a diploma. Then I can transfer onto a degree program. In this case, my question is, what is the best college that will potentially give me admissions for a diploma during which I may be able to transfer to a good degree program?

I know (or at least I have heard) that studying in a diploma program reduces the chances of obtaining a study permit, is that true? If so, kindly advise only programs and colleges where any effects on my visa chances are minimal.

Additionally, how does study permit under SDS work when shifting from a diploma to degree? Would I be able to get an extension? Can we even apply to diploma programs under SDS?

I would be immensely grateful if anyone can answer these questions.

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi guys,

My grades in Classes 11 and 12 were not great (60%) although they were slightly better in Class 10 (80%). My marks in bachelors and LLB (Bachelor of Law) are even more mediocre. Additionally, I am 30 year old Pakistani and, at the heart of it, my eventual target is that if life in Canada suits me, I would want to settle there and obtain permanent residence, yada yada.

More immediately, I am looking to obtain study permit in Canada under SDS and I am willing to start off my post-secondary education again. However, considering that my Grade 12 marks were low and from what I have observed going through university admission requirements, I feel that I will not be able to get admission in most degree programs. Is that so? If not, what universities and programs can I choose?

An alternative that I saw was to obtain admission in a diploma. Then I can transfer onto a degree program. In this case, my question is, what is the best college that will potentially give me admissions for a diploma during which I may be able to transfer to a good degree program?

I know (or at least I have heard) that studying in a diploma program reduces the chances of obtaining a study permit, is that true? If so, kindly advise only programs and colleges where any effects on my visa chances are minimal.

Additionally, how does study permit under SDS work when shifting from a diploma to degree? Would I be able to get an extension? Can we even apply to diploma programs under SDS?

I would be immensely grateful if anyone can answer these questions.
It doesn't make any sense for you to be taking a diploma given you already have an LLB. Study permit will most likely be refused.

You should aim for a post graduate certificate in a field of study that makes sense in terms of your past education and work experience. A Master's would be better but may not be feasible give your grades.

What field were you planning on studying in Canada?

farhadhassan

Nov 18, 2019
It doesn't make any sense for you to be taking a diploma given you already have an LLB. Study permit will most likely be refused.

You should aim for a post graduate certificate in a field of study that makes sense in terms of your past education and work experience. A Master's would be better but may not be feasible give your grades.

What field were you planning on studying in Canada?
While I apprenticed for a year as a lawyer, I left the profession soon afterwards, I have been working as content developer for (one of) the top Pakistani real estate websites for the past 2 and a half years. My law degree help me traverse the complicated property law issues and I can produce quality content based on that -- so, basically, my law education helps me gain an advantage in a job I love and enjoy: writing. Honestly, when I look at my future within Pakistan, I usually imagine myself working in the communications/journalism/legal content/editing sector instead of law. My minor in Bachelors was journalism, btw.

Considering my experience and temperament, I was thinking of degrees/diplomas that will accentuate my experience as a real estate content producer. I was aiming for undergraduate degrees in communications, real estate, urban planning, journalism, urban studies, environmental stability.

Thank you for pointing out that the programs I apply for should be relevant to my education and experience, particularly since I am going for the undergraduate program. How would you judge my study permit application if I explain my experience and go for some of these relevant fields?

sim08

Star Member
Oct 31, 2019
Hi , I have a LLB degree too from India and I think my situation is some what similiar to yours , although my 10th & 12 marks are decent ( 84 & 88%) respectively . I graduated with an LLB degree with 54% . If you have any new information about this situation , please do help out!

sim08

Star Member
Oct 31, 2019
idk how bad your grades are but i think theres no way you can get a permit approved because your grades are terrible, you have two degrees and you want a diploma?

lastly you are from pakistan which is automatically a factor against you but nothing you can do about this. with all these factors they will surely think your true intention is not to study, which is true as stated by you

thus i think no sane vo will approve your request to "study" again. because whats the point of you studying again??
Honestly , I dont think you should discourage him like this
@farhadhassan I suggest you go for a post graduate diploma rather than a diploma since you already have a undergraduate degree , if you want to study , or if your aim is to settle in Canada , why not apply for PR , you have work experience, go to a immigration agent and find out whether thats viable .

farhadhassan

Nov 18, 2019
idk how bad your grades are but i think theres no way you can get a permit approved because your grades are terrible, you have two degrees and you want a diploma?

lastly you are from pakistan which is automatically a factor against you but nothing you can do about this. with all these factors they will surely think your true intention is not to study, which is true as stated by you

thus i think no sane vo will approve your request to "study" again. because whats the point of you studying again??
What with the unwarranted aggression, dude? How is 60% "terrible"? Pakistan was recently included SDS, so chances for students from Pakistan are actually much better than a lot of others.

My true, oh so nefarious, designs are to improve my career chances, I actually am employed in a pretty good job here in Pakistan. So, yes, while part of the reason why I would want to study in Canada is so that I could have better chances of getting a PR, it's not like I cannot or would not want to return to Pakistan after my permit has ended. A relevant diploma, particularly if it branches off into a degree, from Canada would significantly boost my career prospects in here. A "sane" VO will hopefully understand that.

Last edited:

farhadhassan

Nov 18, 2019
Hi , I have a LLB degree too from India and I think my situation is some what similiar to yours , although my 10th & 12 marks are decent ( 84 & 88%) respectively . I graduated with an LLB degree with 54% . If you have any new information about this situation , please do help out!
Yeah, man, I am trying to find out more. I will share whatever I find out. What scylla said gave me new ideas and yes, a post-graduate diploma is equally on the cards. See, the thing is I enjoy the journalistic, writing aspects of my job, and I don't have a particular interest in continuing as a lawyer, as I said above. Does not suit me much, I found out. But if I could find a diploma that will allow me to branch of into something more to my aptitude, I would certainly go for a post graduate diploma relevant to law as well.

sim08

Star Member
Oct 31, 2019
Yeah, man, I am trying to find out more. I will share whatever I find out. What scylla said gave me new ideas and yes, a post-graduate diploma is equally on the cards. See, the thing is I enjoy the journalistic, writing aspects of my job, and I don't have a particular interest in continuing as a lawyer, as I said above. Does not suit me much, I found out. But if I could find a diploma that will allow me to branch of into something more to my aptitude, I would certainly go for a post graduate diploma relevant to law as well.
You should check out the post grad diploma in content strategy from Humber college , I think it will be viable for you , in terms of getting a student visa also

tim20

Sep 17, 2019
GUYS PLZ HELP

im having 65%in btech
03 years of gap after graduation
11 backlogs all cleared
6.5 band
got an active extra curriculum past and foreign uni. online certificates
owner of a startup

am i eligible for masters from canada??

plz help

sim08

Star Member
Oct 31, 2019
GUYS PLZ HELP

im having 65%in btech
03 years of gap after graduation
11 backlogs all cleared
6.5 band
got an active extra curriculum past and foreign uni. online certificates
owner of a startup

am i eligible for masters from canada??

plz help
Hey it depends which university and what masters you want to pursue , you completed your btech in which field and also in what is your startup all about , and what did you do during the gap of 3 years ?