Interview........
waived (DM April 19, 2013)
Passport Req..
May 2, 2013 (non visa-exempt)
VISA ISSUED...
June 11, 2013
LANDED..........
June 23, 2013
Taking vacation for the work day before the long weekend and the work day after the long weekend for four of the seven long weekends in the year (from now) is a jerk move. y/n?

which basically means I can't take advantage of any of those four long weekends at all. ever. I'm taking the family day long weekend, but i'm not sandwiching the weekend with my vacation, so the person who covers me could still take off after the weekend.

I said my plans for the year are not solid do I'd work around this person's schedule, but i didn't expect to be railroaded with four long weekends being closed off to me. What's wrong with taking the Thursday Friday off instead of Friday Tuesday??????

JERK MOVE Y/N?

lawd i'm still steaming.

blueboom

Aug 19, 2012
Toronto
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
September 27, 2012
File Transfer...
November 7, 2012
Med's Done....
August 27, 2012
Interview........
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
June 11, 2013
LANDED..........
June 23, 2013
i have three weeks of vacation to go SEE MY HUSBAND. I definitely feel like people don't understand that the extra day in those long weekends add up. they're absolutely gold when it's time to spend with your spouse.

The best part is this is a newlywed and she gets at least two more weeks of vacation than I do!!!!

mameelynn

Oct 22, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo... I mean CPP Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27/02/2012
Doc's Request.
06/06/2012
File Transfer...
03/07/2012
Med's Done....
16/12/2011
Passport Req..
12/12/12
VISA ISSUED...
31/01/2013
LANDED..........
04/2013
blueboom said:
i have three weeks of vacation to go SEE MY HUSBAND. I definitely feel like people don't understand that the extra day in those long weekends add up. they're absolutely gold when it's time to spend with your spouse.

The best part is this is a newlywed and she gets at least two more weeks of vacation than I do!!!!
I don't see it as a jerk move at all! I know what you mean about using the extra day! It for sure add's up! I could understand being told you can't have two long weekends with extra time in a row but only kinda. But I'm curious as to why being a newlywed gets an extra two weeks?

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
blueboom said:
Taking vacation for the work day before the long weekend and the work day after the long weekend for four of the seven long weekends in the year (from now) is a jerk move. y/n?

which basically means I can't take advantage of any of those four long weekends at all. ever. I'm taking the family day long weekend, but i'm not sandwiching the weekend with my vacation, so the person who covers me could still take off after the weekend.

I said my plans for the year are not solid do I'd work around this person's schedule, but i didn't expect to be railroaded with four long weekends being closed off to me. What's wrong with taking the Thursday Friday off instead of Friday Tuesday??????

JERK MOVE Y/N?

lawd i'm still steaming.
My husband has seniority at work, so he gets the pick of time off. He took off Easter, Christmas, and something in the summer. He gets 3 weeks. Because of how he scheduled his time, he gets another full week (bc of paid holidays).

His boss chewed him out and told him it wasn't fair he got 4 weeks. It's like .......whatever. I told him just don't ask for Christmas, then wait until the week before and demand vacation time so you don't lose it. 2 people with lesser seniority did that THIS year and got Christmas off while my husband had to work!

I hate to sound so rude, but other people's problems aren't your problems. I get sick of people whining and crying while expecting me to serve their needs and not giving a crap about mine.

blueboom

Aug 19, 2012
Toronto
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
September 27, 2012
File Transfer...
November 7, 2012
Med's Done....
August 27, 2012
Interview........
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
June 11, 2013
LANDED..........
June 23, 2013
mameelynn said:
I don't see it as a jerk move at all! I know what you mean about using the extra day! It for sure add's up! I could understand being told you can't have two long weekends with extra time in a row but only kinda. But I'm curious as to why being a newlywed gets an extra two weeks?
Oh, no, she's a newlywed too so she's all my husband this, my husband that ::), but she's been there longer than I have, so she has at least two weeks more than I do. For four of the long weekends this year, she's taking off one day before and one day after the long weekends. Meaning I can't take off any vacation time before OR after any of those long weekends. So the jerk move is on her.

mameelynn

Oct 22, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo... I mean CPP Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27/02/2012
Doc's Request.
06/06/2012
File Transfer...
03/07/2012
Med's Done....
16/12/2011
Passport Req..
12/12/12
VISA ISSUED...
31/01/2013
LANDED..........
04/2013
amikety said:
My husband has seniority at work, so he gets the pick of time off. He took off Easter, Christmas, and something in the summer. He gets 3 weeks. Because of how he scheduled his time, he gets another full week (bc of paid holidays).

His boss chewed him out and told him it wasn't fair he got 4 weeks. It's like .......whatever. I told him just don't ask for Christmas, then wait until the week before and demand vacation time so you don't lose it. 2 people with lesser seniority did that THIS year and got Christmas off while my husband had to work!

I hate to sound so rude, but other people's problems aren't your problems. I get sick of people whining and crying while expecting me to serve their needs and not giving a crap about mine.
the stupid thing is that everyone gets the full 4 weeks off because they are getting those days off too so I don't see how it is wrong or that the boss has any place to say anything!
blueboom said:
Oh, no, she's a newlywed too so she's all my husband this, my husband that ::), but she's been there longer than I have, so she has at least two weeks more than I do. For four of the long weekends this year, she's taking off one day before and one day after the long weekends. Meaning I can't take off any vacation time before OR after any of those long weekends. So the jerk move is on her.
yeah that really is a jerk move!! Companies should do something to stop that kind of crap instead of denying you your time off!!!!

blueboom

Aug 19, 2012
Toronto
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
September 27, 2012
File Transfer...
November 7, 2012
Med's Done....
August 27, 2012
Interview........
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
June 11, 2013
LANDED..........
June 23, 2013
mameelynn said:
yeah that really is a jerk move!! Companies should do something to stop that kind of crap instead of denying you your time off!!!!
It's not really denying me time off, but it means I can't extend my vacation time. If I was able to take time off after each long weekend, I'd be able to have four weeks in the year. What the heck am I supposed to wait until August to be able to take vacation next to a long weekend?

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
blueboom said:
It's not really denying me time off, but it means I can't extend my vacation time. If I was able to take time off after each long weekend, I'd be able to have four weeks in the year. What the heck am I supposed to wait until August to be able to take vacation next to a long weekend?
Personally, I'd go through a bitch fit to HR and ask why she's getting favoritism.

I'm a bitch.

A huge one - because I show as much care for others as they show for me, ounce for ounce.

blueboom

Aug 19, 2012
Toronto
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
September 27, 2012
File Transfer...
November 7, 2012
Med's Done....
August 27, 2012
Interview........
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
June 11, 2013
LANDED..........
June 23, 2013
amikety said:

His boss needs to slow his roll. It's not unfair how your husband booked his time off, especially if that's how his workplace is set up, where he gets first pick with seniority.

How your husband did it, I was hoping to do that this year. At our work, seniority doesn't count for vacation time. This person is actually in a more junior position than I am but she's been there longer. When I take vacation around long weekends, I don't sandwich my time because unlike some people, I recognize the person covering for me has a life and might want to extend their long weekend too. It can work both ways!

tuyen

Oct 19, 2012
Tronna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mameelynn said:
the stupid thing is that everyone gets the full 4 weeks off because they are getting those days off too so I don't see how it is wrong or that the boss has any place to say anything!yeah that really is a jerk move!! Companies should do something to stop that kind of crap instead of denying you your time off!!!!
Send me her name and work number, and I guarantee she'll never want another long weekend off for as long as she lives..

blueboom

Aug 19, 2012
Toronto
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
September 27, 2012
File Transfer...
November 7, 2012
Med's Done....
August 27, 2012
Interview........
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
June 11, 2013
LANDED..........
June 23, 2013
amikety said:
Personally, I'd go through a *censored word* fit to HR and ask why she's getting favoritism.

I'm a *censored word*.

A huge one - because I show as much care for others as they show for me, ounce for ounce.
OH BELIEVE ME. I told her to book her time off, but if I have to leave, I'm leaving and her work won't get done.

And the reason she can get this time off is because I don't have solid plans. I can't put in that I want such and such weekend off because I don't know!!! It's fucking February!!

Halfmoon

Champion Member
Jul 3, 2012
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-03-2012
AOR Received.
26-06-2012
File Transfer...
27-06-2012 - Kingston In Process
Med's Done....
27-01-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
28-01-2013
VISA ISSUED...
11-02-2013
LANDED..........
Valentine's Day

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
blueboom said:
OH BELIEVE ME. I told her to book her time off, but if I have to leave, I'm leaving and her work won't get done.

And the reason she can get this time off is because I don't have solid plans. I can't put in that I want such and such weekend off because I don't know!!! It's *censored word*ing February!!
Oh tell me about it! We had a six week rule at my last place of employment. I made my own schedules as well as my department, so I kept everything in check. Well, until my manager got mad at me for being 'too nice' and took them away...until he screwed it up repeatedly and the Admin made him give it back.... Hehehe. (I was doing evil things like giving my hardest working employee better hours at the agreement of everyone else in the department.)

Be a "B." Book your days, book your flight and tell them to suck it. I highly doubt the world will end or your office will implode because you need time off. ;)

blueboom

Aug 19, 2012
Toronto
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
September 27, 2012
File Transfer...
November 7, 2012
Med's Done....
August 27, 2012
Interview........
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
June 11, 2013
LANDED..........
June 23, 2013
amikety said:
Oh tell me about it! We had a six week rule at my last place of employment. I made my own schedules as well as my department, so I kept everything in check. Well, until my manager got mad at me for being 'too nice' and took them away...until he screwed it up repeatedly and the Admin made him give it back.... Hehehe. (I was doing evil things like giving my hardest working employee better hours at the agreement of everyone else in the department.)

Be a "B." Book your days, book your flight and tell them to suck it. I highly doubt the world will end or your office will implode because you need time off. ;)
She got the idea today. I'm less mad now.

By the way, did we really get pushed off the front page?? TSK TSK