+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

lost ID to apply for PRTD but i have proof of meeting my PR obligation

ManSosa

Nov 19, 2023
Hi there, pls i need help in this complicated subject:

I arrived in Canada as a reugeein February of 2000 and became a Canadian PR in 2003 my last PR card expired in 2016 so i applied for a renewal and never received any news or resident card until i moved from the address i was living at the time then i kept in touch with my ex landlord and new tenants to see if it was delivered and it seems that i never got a reply from IRCC or delivery; after some time i got busy with work and traveling within Canada and i carelessly left it the situation as it was so i don´t know what happenned with my application or whether i was issued a new card and i had a copy o the expired card.
The year after i tried to renew my drivers licence when it expired in the province of New Brunswick and i wasn´t allowed because i only had a copy of my expired PR card to show as an ID so they asked for 1 more picture ID which i could not provide and it was taken from me at the office, however i kep a photocopy of it as well. The years passed and i left it like that working, having my normal life and using public transit but past July i had to travel out of Canada and i´ve read about the PRTD before so i took the copies of my expired ID´s and without too much research i traveled with a stop in Mexico which was supposed to be for a few days but i lost my passport in Cancun ( wich was recently issued and i had no copies of it yet ) so i had to get a new one at the Colombian embassy in Cancun which took time to be issued and prolonged my stay there until i was able to flight to my country o origin (Colombia) now i´ve been here since mid august with a lot of dificulties to gather more papers succh as records of employment, pay stubs, work and landlord letter that shows i lived at the same place since 2020 and notice of assesment from CRA in the past 5 years and T1´s rom 2010 for my PRTD application but in the process i missplaced the copies of my expired ID´s and i am currently waiting for a VOS certificate as well in order to apply or the PRTD... Note that travel through the land border is not an option in my case.
My questions are:

1. Would they consider my incomplete application even if i have notified IRCC of the lost of my documents?
2. Do the reason of my trip would influence in their decision?
3. I´ve spoken to a certified consultant in Ontario and he says that as long as i meet the RO everything will be fine and he even told me there was no need to notify IRCC because i´ve only been outside for 7 months so i still within the time frame to keep my PR status, should i trust him?

Also i haven´t received any comfirmation after i Applied for my VOS certiicate but it still within the normal processing time frame and i am very weary to apply for PRTD.
I want to clarify that i have some mental health issues story and at the time i jumped into making this trip i was going through a crisis, altought i have examined the possibility or applying for a PRTD months prior i had aborted this plan which i considered unnecessary but after getting evicted from my place in JUne due to a late payment and hearing rom my aunt that my mom´s health was deteriorating and she needed me ( i am her only son) there was a night when i woke up and i booked the ticket without realizing what i was doing and this is how i end up in this mess.

Any help on this subject will be much appreciated. Thanks!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi there, pls i need help in this complicated subject:

I arrived in Canada as a reugeein February of 2000 and became a Canadian PR in 2003 my last PR card expired in 2016 so i applied for a renewal and never received any news or resident card until i moved from the address i was living at the time then i kept in touch with my ex landlord and new tenants to see if it was delivered and it seems that i never got a reply from IRCC or delivery; after some time i got busy with work and traveling within Canada and i carelessly left it the situation as it was so i don´t know what happenned with my application or whether i was issued a new card and i had a copy o the expired card.
The year after i tried to renew my drivers licence when it expired in the province of New Brunswick and i wasn´t allowed because i only had a copy of my expired PR card to show as an ID so they asked for 1 more picture ID which i could not provide and it was taken from me at the office, however i kep a photocopy of it as well. The years passed and i left it like that working, having my normal life and using public transit but past July i had to travel out of Canada and i´ve read about the PRTD before so i took the copies of my expired ID´s and without too much research i traveled with a stop in Mexico which was supposed to be for a few days but i lost my passport in Cancun ( wich was recently issued and i had no copies of it yet ) so i had to get a new one at the Colombian embassy in Cancun which took time to be issued and prolonged my stay there until i was able to flight to my country o origin (Colombia) now i´ve been here since mid august with a lot of dificulties to gather more papers succh as records of employment, pay stubs, work and landlord letter that shows i lived at the same place since 2020 and notice of assesment from CRA in the past 5 years and T1´s rom 2010 for my PRTD application but in the process i missplaced the copies of my expired ID´s and i am currently waiting for a VOS certificate as well in order to apply or the PRTD... Note that travel through the land border is not an option in my case.
My questions are:

1. Would they consider my incomplete application even if i have notified IRCC of the lost of my documents?
2. Do the reason of my trip would influence in their decision?
3. I´ve spoken to a certified consultant in Ontario and he says that as long as i meet the RO everything will be fine and he even told me there was no need to notify IRCC because i´ve only been outside for 7 months so i still within the time frame to keep my PR status, should i trust him?

Also i haven´t received any comfirmation after i Applied for my VOS certiicate but it still within the normal processing time frame and i am very weary to apply for PRTD.
I want to clarify that i have some mental health issues story and at the time i jumped into making this trip i was going through a crisis, altought i have examined the possibility or applying for a PRTD months prior i had aborted this plan which i considered unnecessary but after getting evicted from my place in JUne due to a late payment and hearing rom my aunt that my mom´s health was deteriorating and she needed me ( i am her only son) there was a night when i woke up and i booked the ticket without realizing what i was doing and this is how i end up in this mess.

Any help on this subject will be much appreciated. Thanks!
You need to apply for the PRTD if you want to return to Canada. So you really have no choice but to do that.

Did you visit your home country as part of your trip?

ManSosa

Nov 19, 2023
You need to apply for the PRTD if you want to return to Canada. So you really have no choice but to do that.

Did you visit your home country as part of your trip?
Yes i am currently in my home country.
I defienetly have no choice, what the odds are the odds that of getting refused based on the ID's situation?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yes i am currently in my home country.
I defienetly have no choice, what the odds are the odds that of getting refused based on the ID's situation?
I think it's certainly worth trying to apply now and providing the information about your ID situation. You'll need to make sure you have a new passport before you apply.

One thing you should be aware of is that you are not supposed to visit your home country as a refugee claimant until you have Canadian citizenship. Doing so when you are a PR can result in cessation (having your PR status revoked) when you try to apply for citizenship. It sounds like you visited because of your parent's illness. Please keep a record of this since this may help you if IRCC ever pursues you for cessation.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
To add to @scylla post it also appears that you got at least one new Colombian passport and used the passport to travel. As a protected person you are not supposed to apply for a passport from your home country or travel using your home country passport in addition to not visiting your home country until you are a Canadian citizen. You are supposed to travel using a refugee travel document (RTD) and not your home country passport. How long have you been in Colombia? Can you show that your mother has been seriously ill during this whole time period (hospital records, doctor’s letter, etc.). As already mentioned you should collect as much evidence as possible and any proof of your own recent mental health issues including treatment you have received because your use of your home country passport and your return to Colombia could be an issue in the future. You should return to Canada as soon as possible.

ManSosa

Nov 19, 2023
I think it's certainly worth trying to apply now and providing the information about your ID situation. You'll need to make sure you have a new passport before you apply.

One thing you should be aware of is that you are not supposed to visit your home country as a refugee claimant until you have Canadian citizenship. Doing so when you are a PR can result in cessation (having your PR status revoked) when you try to apply for citizenship. It sounds like you visited because of your parent's illness. Please keep a record of this since this may help you if IRCC ever pursues you for cessation.
Thanks for your insight, i will have further questions about this...

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks for your insight, i will have further questions about this...
The goal should be to return to Canada as possible. The length of time in your home country can be one of the factors in deciding whether the government wants to pursue cessation.

ManSosa

Nov 19, 2023
To add to @scylla post it also appears that you got at least one new Colombian passport and used the passport to travel. As a protected person you are not supposed to apply for a passport from your home country or travel using your home country passport in addition to not visiting your home country until you are a Canadian citizen. You are supposed to travel using a refugee travel document (RTD) and not your home country passport. How long have you been in Colombia? Can you show that your mother has been seriously ill during this whole time period (hospital records, doctor’s letter, etc.). As already mentioned you should collect as much evidence as possible and any proof of your own recent mental health issues including treatment you have received because your use of your home country passport and your return to Colombia could be an issue in the future. You should return to Canada as soon as possible.
Thanks for your insight, the fact Is that my aunt was exagerating the situation and got me very concerned about Mom's health, she wasn't at the hospital but could benefit of some company to her check outs for heart condition, blood pressure and her sight which have deteriotated , also help with daily chores. On the other hand i had a colonoscopy done in november due to very worrying symptoms similar to colon cancer that started around november of last year while i was un Canada and i wouldn't be able to do that there due to the fact if my PR card been expired and not having a family doctor. All these factores were playing in my head and lead me to tak
The goal should be to return to Canada as possible. The length of time in your home country can be one of the factors in deciding whether the government wants to pursue cessation.
I have a question...
I received an e mail from IRCC asking me if had lost only copies of my ID'S, ( meaning not the originals ) would the fact that i traveled with copies instead of originals ( like i salud before they were returned ) would affect any decisión regarding to my application? What should i reply in this case?

ManSosa

Nov 19, 2023
Thanks for your insight, the fact Is that my aunt was exagerating the situation and got me very concerned about Mom's health, she wasn't at the hospital but could benefit of some company to her check outs for heart condition, blood pressure and her sight which have deteriotated , also help with daily chores. On the other hand i had a colonoscopy done in november due to very worrying symptoms similar to colon cancer that started around november of last year while i was un Canada and i wouldn't be able to do that there due to the fact if my PR card been expired and not having a family doctor. All these factores were playing in my head and lead me to tak

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

I have a question...
I received an e mail from IRCC asking me if had lost only copies of my ID'S, ( meaning not the originals ) would the fact that i traveled with copies instead of originals ( like i salud before they were returned ) would affect any decisión regarding to my application? What should i reply in this case?
why didn’t you contact IRCC about your lost PR card? That should have been done a long time ago. You would have been able to get a colonoscopy had you sorted out your PR card issue in 2016/17. That wouldn’t be a reason for needing to go abroad for healthcare. It doesn’t seem like your trip to Colombia was due to your mother being on her deathbed and you have been in your home country 4-5 months which is a very long visit if you claim your life is at risk in Colombia. The biggest issue with the PRTD is that it highlights that you are in your home country as a protected person but you also need to get back to Canada. The RO shouldn’t be an issue. Looks like you are also planning on using your home country passport again which I wouldn‘t suggest but not sure if you can can apply for the RTD while abroad. Do you have a US visitor visa?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

I have a question...
It's always recommended that you answer all questions truthfully.

Reactions: ManSosa and YVR123

ManSosa

Nov 19, 2023
why didn’t you contact IRCC about your lost PR card? That should have been done a long time ago. You would have been able to get a colonoscopy had you sorted out your PR card issue in 2016/17. That wouldn’t be a reason for needing to go abroad for healthcare. It doesn’t seem like your trip to Colombia was due to your mother being on her deathbed and you have been in your home country 4-5 months which is a very long visit if you claim your life is at risk in Colombia. The biggest issue with the PRTD is that it highlights that you are in your home country as a protected person but you also need to get back to Canada. The RO shouldn’t be an issue. Looks like you are also planning on using your home country passport again which I wouldn‘t suggest but not sure if you can can apply for the RTD while abroad. Do you have a US visitor visa?
I do not have a US visitor visa ( It was in the passport that was lost in México and expired for a few months, US government requires that to be renewed in the country of origin) i am not very savy on computers, internet or paperwork, in fact what you mentioned are all issues that i have considered before, so then and there i've decided that i was going to stay and find a way to renew my PR ( maybe moving to a province where i could get ID's with picture) but like i said my mental health wasn't right during the days when i left and one day out of the sudden i forgot all about this i called work for a leave of absence and booked a cheap flight . I didn't contacted IRCC in 2016/17 because i was traveling for work and i let It pass and i know that was irresponsible. First when i read about PRTD i thought It was a way to renew my PR and the idea got stuck in my head then i realized It was not, so i started looking for other avenues ( like moving to another province and getting ID's with pics, applying for citizenship) but during my mental crisis in May this idea got into my head again and until today i can't explain to myself how and why i took this travel decision and not even at the airport i turned this around . I lived more than half of my life there and i consider Canada my home, i was happy and had a Full Time job and a good life, i didn't owned any property but all my goods and friends are there and i can't understand how all this happened.
Would crossing the US border change anything without my ID? I don't even think i qualify for US visa again because i don't have a job .

ManSosa

Nov 19, 2023
It's always recommended that you answer all questions truthfully.
So i imagine that i will be questioned about why i traveled without the originals and my answers would be on the record and taken into account for when i apply for a PRTD, Is that right?

ManSosa

Nov 19, 2023
I do not have a US visitor visa ( It was in the passport that was lost in México and expired for a few months, US government requires that to be renewed in the country of origin) i am not very savy on computers, internet or paperwork, in fact what you mentioned are all issues that i have considered before, so then and there i've decided that i was going to stay and find a way to renew my PR ( maybe moving to a province where i could get ID's with picture) but like i said my mental health wasn't right during the days when i left and one day out of the sudden i forgot all about this i called work for a leave of absence and booked a cheap flight . I didn't contacted IRCC in 2016/17 because i was traveling for work and i let It pass and i know that was irresponsible. First when i read about PRTD i thought It was a way to renew my PR and the idea got stuck in my head then i realized It was not, so i started looking for other avenues ( like moving to another province and getting ID's with pics, applying for citizenship) but during my mental crisis in May this idea got into my head again and until today i can't explain to myself how and why i took this travel decision and not even at the airport i turned this around . I lived more than half of my life there and i consider Canada my home, i was happy and had a Full Time job and a good life, i didn't owned any property but all my goods and friends are there and i can't understand how all this happened.
Would crossing the US border change anything without my ID? I don't even think i qualify for US visa again because i don't have a job .
BTW i wasn't aware that as a protected person i wasn't allowed to travel back after all this time.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
So i imagine that i will be questioned about why i traveled without the originals and my answers would be on the record and taken into account for when i apply for a PRTD, Is that right?
I don't know the answer to this question. However I would again recommend that you answer all questions truthfully.