File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
BTW i wasn't aware that as a protected person i wasn't allowed to travel back after all this time.
The laws apply to you regardless. Right now you should focus your efforts on obtaining the PRTD.

Once you have returned to Canada, I would recommend you dedicate time to reading through the cessation thread in the citizenship section of the forum: https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/refugee-status-cessation-and-prs-applying-for-citizenship.333455/page-55

Reactions: ManSosa

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I do not have a US visitor visa ( It was in the passport that was lost in México and expired for a few months, US government requires that to be renewed in the country of origin) i am not very savy on computers, internet or paperwork, in fact what you mentioned are all issues that i have considered before, so then and there i've decided that i was going to stay and find a way to renew my PR ( maybe moving to a province where i could get ID's with picture) but like i said my mental health wasn't right during the days when i left and one day out of the sudden i forgot all about this i called work for a leave of absence and booked a cheap flight . I didn't contacted IRCC in 2016/17 because i was traveling for work and i let It pass and i know that was irresponsible. First when i read about PRTD i thought It was a way to renew my PR and the idea got stuck in my head then i realized It was not, so i started looking for other avenues ( like moving to another province and getting ID's with pics, applying for citizenship) but during my mental crisis in May this idea got into my head again and until today i can't explain to myself how and why i took this travel decision and not even at the airport i turned this around . I lived more than half of my life there and i consider Canada my home, i was happy and had a Full Time job and a good life, i didn't owned any property but all my goods and friends are there and i can't understand how all this happened.
Would crossing the US border change anything without my ID? I don't even think i qualify for US visa again because i don't have a job .
But you have Canadian PR, so you can renew the US visitor visa in Canada.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
So i imagine that i will be questioned about why i traveled without the originals and my answers would be on the record and taken into account for when i apply for a PRTD, Is that right?
Obviously your priority, for now, is obtaining the means to travel back to Canada, including necessary documentation. This could be tricky in your situation. It looks like you have quite enough going on, problems enough navigating your way through your current situation and getting back to Canada, without wrestling with the possibility you could also be subject to cessation of refugee status proceedings leading to the loss of your PR status.

So, it appears your current focus should be on navigating your way back to Canada.

And as best I can discern, the cessation issue itself should not interfere or preclude obtaining a PRTD (as long as you otherwise have or obtain travel documents and ID sufficient for the visa office to issue a PRTD), and will not preclude your entry into Canada upon your arrival at a PoE here.

Since the risk of cessation has been noted by others, I am hesitant to add to your worries. I wish to avoid dumping additional hardship into the current situation, especially if at this stage that is unnecessary, if the risk of cessation is an issue that can be deferred until AFTER your return to Canada. But it is probably important for you to be be prepared to answer questions related to this issue.

I do not know for sure, but in the circumstances you describe it seems there is a significant likelihood of being examined in Secondary at the Port-of-Entry when you return to Canada (assuming you are able to do this), and that the questions likely to be asked will include some directly related to potential cessation, including questions about the details of your trip, its purpose, its nature, its duration, and so on.

BTW i wasn't aware that as a protected person i wasn't allowed to travel back after all this time.
Ignorance of the law, or the rules, is rarely a defense. Since the PR-refugee's *intentions* are a key element in regards to reavailment of home country protection, however, a lack of knowledge or understanding of what it means to travel to the home country can be relevant. That said, this typically is not enough to save the day.

Unfortunately, there is a real risk of cessation inquiries being triggered by ANY application to IRCC, including an application for a PRTD, application for VOS, or an application for a new PR card. The outcome of such inquiries, if there are such inquiries, will determine if CBSA initiates cessation proceedings. At this juncture, and given rather limited information (key information is whether this particular trip is your only trip to the home country, or whether there have been others), it is very difficult to forecast how much risk there is. That said, the fact of traveling to the home country with a home country passport ALONE constitutes a presumption of reavailment sufficient to establish grounds for cessation . . . and cessation of protected person status would automatically terminate your PR status and result in the issuance of a Removal Order.

Unfortunately H&C considerations, at least currently, offer no relief from cessation, no relief from how severely harsh this can be for an individual like you. Likewise, there is also a real risk that upon arrival at a Port-of-Entry, in returning to Canada, CBSA will ask questions about your travel, your reasons for the travel, previous international travel, circumstances attendant entering and staying in your home country, among other questions that will be relevant to a determination, by CBSA and subsequently by the RPD, whether your status as a refugee should be ceased. Your responses to such questions could have a big impact on the outcome.

I cannot offer much to help you get together what you need to apply for and obtain a PRTD and other necessary documents that will enable you to return to Canada. Hope that works out. But, in any event, when you do return to Canada be prepared to be questioned about your passport, previous passports, your international travel, especially any travel to your home country, your reasons for the travel, details about the trips, including duration and places stayed, and so on. Good luck.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
So i imagine that i will be questioned about why i traveled without the originals and my answers would be on the record and taken into account for when i apply for a PRTD, Is that right?
The bigger issue is that you travelled with your Colombian passport and not with a refugee travel document (replaces passport fir protected people) along with your PR card. You don’t need a valid PR card to leave Canada but you need one to fly back into Canada. If not you need a PRTD (the one exception is if you are a U.S. citizen). If you had a US visa you could enter via a land border without a valid PR card.