+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Los Angeles Visa Office Applicants Check in here! :)

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY --> Los Angeles, CA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
So glad so many of you are hearing some peeps from LA! Hopefully I can change someone's colour soon ;) :)

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
apstone said:
That is great info computergeek. How did you come into that information? Did you call LA or email? How did you figure out it went to LA in the first place? I assume you were going through Ottawa, saw ECAS updated with "in process" but where did you go from there? Good to see some possibly "identifiable" progress steps! Us March/April applications seem to be progressing...
I originally applied back in June 2009 in the skilled worker category. They ultimately rejected that application (December 2011) on grounds that are not a bar for spousal sponsorship. The rejection was defective and we filed for judicial review of the rejection back in January 2012. CIC is represented by Justice Canada and their arguments against my application were "hey, he can apply in this other category" which isn't responsive (largely because the rejection WAS defective - they didn't even bother to make up reasons, well at least not until after leave was granted.) My theory is that the attorney for CIC knows they've got a loser on their hands, so she's been encouraging CIC to move things along promptly because she'd rather not have a loss on record.

Given that there was a question of admissibility back in January, I completed a TRP application back in February and sent it to Seattle (and updated it every few months). They started processing the TRP application two weeks ago and the officer in Seattle called me, advised she had spoken to the officer in Ottawa who had just finalized my file in Ottawa and would be sending it to LA. She said she would hold off doing anything with my file because she said I'd be hearing from LA within a couple of weeks.

So the Justice Canada attorney representing CIC is the one who made the inquiry directly with LA and they actually answered her. I cannot imagine I'd have heard anything about this otherwise.

My attorney (who is handling the judicial review application) basically said that they want to have my file done prior to the hearing so they can tell the judge that the hearing is now moot. After much discussion back and forth I've agreed to withdraw the JR application - all that a win would do for me is send the original application back for reconsideration. Given my goal was pushing it because I wanted to overturn the rejection so I could withdraw it anyway, the fact that my sponsored application is "done" means there's no point in doing it any longer.

Now I'm hoping I get a PPR before mid-October, so that I can go to LA, get the COPR, and land BEFORE they get around to processing my work permit renewal... LOL

apstone

Star Member
Jul 29, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo/Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-4-2012
File Transfer...
27-7-2012
Med's Done....
10-3-2012
Interesting. Brings up a further question I had. Is it known that all applications routed through Ottawa will be transferred to LA for approval? If so, when us Ottawa cases receive our PPR, are we going to be told to mail them to LA? AND then, can we avoid the 6-8 weeks to receive our PP back by physically bringing the PP to the LA office? That would be great, because my parents live in Oakland, and I could combine a visit to see them with a quick trip down to LA to save myself some wait time.

Hope you guys could understand what I'm asking

manispreet

Jul 9, 2012
San Francisco
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo -> Ottawa -> LA (may be)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-03-2012
AOR Received.
09-07-2012
File Transfer...
25-07-2012
Med's Request
09-07-2012
Med's Done....
20-07-2012
Passport Req..
10-10-2012
VISA ISSUED...
29-10-2012
LANDED..........
Christmas 2012
manispreet said:
Thanks a lot ComputerGeek buddy for your reply and support. This is what I have done so far since my last post.

1. I had only paid $550, not rest of $490, so I made a payment of $490 over the weekend. So now they have total RPRF $1040 fees
2. Sent scan copies of my FBI letter and other police clearance certificates (from India) to MP's office
3. MP's office is going to send the newly made payment's receipt and scan copies to CIC today.

Fingers crossed, I will update you guys here if I hear back from them soon.

Good Luck!
I have some updates now: My online app status says that my application is in process since Sept 14, 2012.

So our local MP's office contacted CIC and they informed:
1. Ottawa confirmed that they made a mistake on the police certificates – My certificates are still good
2. They have confirmed the RPRF payment – they are still waiting for the original receipt that was mailed, but it’s noted on the system that the fee has been paid
3. the file is finalized in Ottawa and sent to the visa office in LA for final review and visa issuance.

Thanks everyone for their valuable support and encouragement. I will keep you guys posted with my updates.

Good Luck

scottandlisag

Star Member
May 16, 2012
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O---> Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-03-2012
File Transfer...
10-07-2012
Med's Request
20-06-2012
Med's Done....
23-06-2012
Passport Req..
19-11-2012
LANDED..........
14-12-2012 <3
apstone said:
Interesting. Brings up a further question I had. Is it known that all applications routed through Ottawa will be transferred to LA for approval? If so, when us Ottawa cases receive our PPR, are we going to be told to mail them to LA? AND then, can we avoid the 6-8 weeks to receive our PP back by physically bringing the PP to the LA office? That would be great, because my parents live in Oakland, and I could combine a visit to see them with a quick trip down to LA to save myself some wait time.

Hope you guys could understand what I'm asking
The way I understood it from speaking with CIC, our applications aren't physically sent to LA. The "LA office" that is processing our applications is "down the hall" from where Step 1 was processed. Further to that, I tried to send an enquiry to the LA email on Monday that is on the CIC website and it was bounced back.

So I would guess that we send the PP to the CPP-O address...

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
scottandlisag said:
The way I understood it from speaking with CIC, our applications aren't physically sent to LA. The "LA office" that is processing our applications is "down the hall" from where Step 1 was processed. Further to that, I tried to send an enquiry to the LA email on Monday that is on the CIC website and it was bounced back.

Mine, sadly, is actually in LA. That's what I'm under the impression of since it took a month and a half just to get there. I'm not sure where we would have to send hubby's copy of passport, hopefully Ottawa, it'll be easier for sure!

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
scottandlisag said:

What address was on your sponsor approval letter for further documents or communications? Mine was LA.

But I don't think they physically send anything to the visa office any longer (at least not routinely). The original documents are kept in Canada and copies are then stored in the file. So the folks in Mississauga and Ottawa do all the data entry. This saves huge amounts of money for CIC because now they aren't shipping physical files all over the world (in "diplomatic pouches" no less, although I wouldn't be surprised if they still ship them with DHL or FedEx or TNT or Purolator under contract, they're just sealed in some fashion.)

Even in your case Parker, I'm not convinced they shipped anything physical to LA. I suspect the 6 weeks delay was just normal queue delay, especially at the leading edge of the Buffalo shuffle.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
Just received the PPR from LA (via e-mail to my sponsor).

A couple of interesting things to note:

(1) There is no option to present the passport in person on the letter. It states "You are required to submit your passport(s) and photographs by MAIL within the next sixty (60) days from the date of this letter."

(2) They will send a passport via express mail in the US, but only by regular mail in Canada.

I have to be in the US in mid-October for work anyway, so my hope is that I can manage to wrangle this to get my COPR back by the time I have to return at the end of October.

Surprising what a relief it is to have received this.

Midwest

Star Member
Aug 12, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-26-2012
File Transfer...
09-12-2012
Med's Done....
06-04-2012
Passport Req..
02-05-2013
computergeek, that's awesome! Congrats!

What address was on your sponsor approval letter for further documents or communications? Mine was LA.
Mine was CPP-O. I have no idea where my file will be transfered later.

AW2011

Oct 26, 2011
computergeek said:

(1) There is no option to present the passport in person on the letter. It states "You are required to submit your passport(s) and photographs by MAIL within the next sixty (60) days from the date of this letter."

(2) They will send a passport via express mail in the US, but only by regular mail in Canada.

I have to be in the US in mid-October for work anyway, so my hope is that I can manage to wrangle this to get my COPR back by the time I have to return at the end of October.

There hasn't been a PPR for US applicants for a long long time. Hope there'll be more rolling in.
Congratulations! So happy for you :p.
I hope you'll be still sticking around to give us your advise and expertise.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
AW2011 said:
There hasn't been a PPR for US applicants for a long long time. Hope there'll be more rolling in.
Congratulations! So happy for you :p.
I hope you'll be still sticking around to give us your advise and expertise.
Thanks. I think the fact I did have a big stick with which to beat CIC made my case atypical, but given that I've been trying to get to this stage since June 2009 I'm only feeling slightly guilty.

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
computergeek said:

WHOO HOO!!!

Congrats! Very excited for you!

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
computergeek said:

But I don't think they physically send anything to the visa office any longer (at least not routinely). The original documents are kept in Canada and copies are then stored in the file. So the folks in Mississauga and Ottawa do all the data entry. This saves huge amounts of money for CIC because now they aren't shipping physical files all over the world (in "diplomatic pouches" no less, although I wouldn't be surprised if they still ship them with DHL or FedEx or TNT or Purolator under contract, they're just sealed in some fashion.)

Even in your case Parker, I'm not convinced they shipped anything physical to LA. I suspect the 6 weeks delay was just normal queue delay, especially at the leading edge of the Buffalo shuffle.
That's what I was thinking, but when I got e-mails that said "your application is en route to Los Angeles" That's why I'm thinking mine was one of the last to be shipped. Unless they wanted me to think that and really it went to the next room...

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
parker24 said:
WHOO HOO!!!

Congrats! Very excited for you!
Thanks. I suspect you must be due as well, since you're timeline is very similar. I just think I had the advantage of a big stick with which to beat them.

I am hopeful this is the leading edge of a deluge of March activity.

pixieprincess

Jul 9, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-05-2011
Med's Request
29-03-2012
Med's Done....
20-04-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
10-10-2012
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012...received by mail on 20-11-2012
I checked ecas today and clicked on the in process thingy and.....it said medicals received! OMG! Finally something is moving along, now if only I knew how much longer I have to wait. I'm trying to not get my hopes up but it's hard.