+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LMO = LMIA

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Beautiful British Columbia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I even called them and they are assumimg LMO=LMIA,it's just a change of terminology
You are right and wrong.
1. Since Jan 1, 2014 there will be only LMIA (no "LMA" anymore for the new applicants for WP)
2. If you have a job in Canada and LMO for it then to get +600 points in EE you will have to get LMIA (a new name for LMA) AGAIN.

amira_mais

Aug 18, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Regina said:
If it is LMIA, then you do not need to get it again
If it is LMO , for EE LMIA will have to be issued.
This has not been stated anywhere. Going by the notice on CIC's website, even LMOs would be valid for EE as long as the other conditions were met. The change in terminology does not limit the use of LMOs.

MMCanada2014

Feb 20, 2014
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
12-09-2018
Passport Req..
09-03-2016
Regina said:
usually, the list of restrictions is wide and a list of conditions allowing something is narrow.
I really don't know what we are discussing here. I already said this:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/publications/employers/express-entry-sheet.asp

I even called them and they are assumimg LMO=LMIA,it's just a change of terminology

amro375

Star Member
Nov 3, 2014
Well I called CIC too and the agent told me LMO is not valid for EE and I will need LMIA.
So, either there is confusion between agents at CIC or my agent was wrong. I hope my agent was wrong.

But I am confused, as I want to create account on Jan 1, but I don't know if I should choose that I have arranged employment... I dont want to be invited and then to be asked for LMIA and to be turned down or banned because I have LMO and LMIA.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
amro375 said:
Well I called CIC too and the agent told me LMO is not valid for EE and I will need LMIA.
So, either there is confusion between agents at CIC or my agent was wrong. I hope my agent was wrong.

But I am confused, as I want to create account on Jan 1, but I don't know if I should choose that I have arranged employment... I dont want to be invited and then to be asked for LMIA and to be turned down or banned because I have LMO and LMIA.
A) You can submit your Expression of Interest, if accepted into the pool, you can update it any time.
B) I expect you won't be able to claim something that you cannot provide the required documents for. You need the LMIA plus a written offer of permanent, full-time employment (contingent on obtaining permanent residence status) from your employer.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
MMCanada2014 said:
I really don't know what we are discussing here. I already said this:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/publications/employers/express-entry-sheet.asp

Where exactly on the page that you referenced does "LMO" occur? Who exactly did you call? I've just listened to the hour long CIC briefing on EE, and CIC never mentioned LMO, only LMIA.

shail2054

Star Member
Jan 6, 2010
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-07-15
AOR Received.
04-07-15
Med's Done....
xxxx
Interview........
xxxx
Passport Req..
xxxx
VISA ISSUED...
xxxxx
LANDED..........
xxxxx
zardoz said:
Where exactly on the page that you referenced does "LMO" occur? Who exactly did you call? I've just listened to the hour long CIC briefing on EE, and CIC never mentioned LMO, only LMIA.
Scenario 2: You want to offer a permanent job to your current TFW
Employer

Is the worker currently in Canada under a positive LMIA/LMOFootnote 5?

If yes, skip to candidate steps
If no, an LMIA is required. Continue with employer steps

Ref http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/publications/employers/express-entry-presentation-fall2014.asp
Please refer this page n look it's say LMIA or LMO for current TFW...hope it will clear all doubt.
No

Ensure you have considered Canadians and permanent residents

Post your ad on ESDC's Job Bank + 2 additional methods of advertising
Apply for LMIAFootnote 4

If no suitable domestic candidates, apply for an LMIA for the temporary foreign worker through Service Canada
Yes

Candidate

Nebm31

Oct 22, 2014
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
March 12, 2014 (TFW)
shail2054 said:
Employer

Ref http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/publications/employers/express-entry-presentation-fall2014.asp
Please refer this page n look it's say LMIA or LMO for current TFW...hope it will clear all doubt.
No

Apply for LMIAFootnote 4

If no suitable domestic candidates, apply for an LMIA for the temporary foreign worker through Service Canada
Yes

Candidate
This will clear all about discussion about LMO=LMIA. PERIOD!!! No More elaboration about this. CLEARLY STATED in CIC website.

Thanks @ Shail2054

+ 1 for you.

Nebm31

Oct 22, 2014
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
March 12, 2014 (TFW)
MMCanada2014 said:
Non sense:

Agree!!!

+1...

MMCanada2014

Feb 20, 2014
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
12-09-2018
Passport Req..
09-03-2016
amro375 said:

When your current LMO expires?Maybe he told you that because your LMO is expiring soon. Anyway Jan-2015 is only days away

Nebm31

Oct 22, 2014
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
March 12, 2014 (TFW)
I have a friend he is a cook. His contract will expiring soon this coming April 2015. He's been here for 4 years. Will he still eligible in EE.

amro375

Star Member
Nov 3, 2014
MMCanada2014 said:
When your current LMO expires?Maybe he told you that because your LMO is expiring soon. Anyway Jan-2015 is only days away
Well id depends what do you/CIC think by LMO expiration.

q. When you get the initial document you have certain day by which you have to use it i.e while the lmo is valid. Now this is long past as usually once you get TWP and by the time you land in Canada the LMO is expired.

2. No on the LMO you have duration for the NOC for which LMO is ussued, based on this duration they give you TWP i,e mine was 24 months and therefore I got 2 years temp visa. Now I thing that this should be the validity of LMO as if you are TWP with LMO the TWP is given by the period stated on the LMO. My LMO was for 24 moths and my logic tells me that my LMO should be valid still.

If we say that No.1 is the correct assumption, then as far as I know the LMO is valid no more than 5 months of the moment of issuance i.e you have to use it within 5 months.... now as far as I know the last LMO was June 2014 and from July they introduced LMIA.... this will mean that by Jan 1st no LMO will be valid by this criteria -> leading to logical conclusion that the validity of the LMO is assumption No.2.

Any thoughts?

amro375

Star Member
Nov 3, 2014
shail2054 said:
Employer

No

Apply for LMIAFootnote 4

Yes

Candidate
+ 1 for the post

Now this is what I am talking about. Finally somebody to give some facts. Many people here are trying to proof that LMO = LMIA but this is the first mention of this on CIC website that I know of.

Hopefully they will not change their mind.