+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LMIA application processing time?

Jan 5, 2016
Jonny123 - on the same page you linked to it has the following:

"Since officers must verify the validity date of the LMIA before processing a work permit application, concurrent processing (the processing of a work permit application that is pending receipt of a valid LMIA) cannot be permitted in most circumstances."

i was advised by my employers legal representatives that i should apply for my new WP on the same day that the old one (august 18th) expired to allow the longest possible period of implied status and to give them time to finish the LMIA application process. they also advised that this would be quicker than territorial nominee program but in hindsight that has proven to be false. As have many things they have said and done.

side note: anyone thinking of using McLennon Ross as their legal representation - please don't, for your own good.

In the end they didn't submit then LMIA application until almost a month after i had applied for the WP. i have the letter from CIC stating the WP was declined because there was no LMIA issued (yet). That was December 10th so i have 90 days (March 9th) in which to sort something out before i'm subject to a removal order but frankly i will remove myself before it comes to that !

Another side note: if you're waiting for LMIA why not write to your MP/MLA - they can influence things and make a case on your behalf to ESDC. In the NWT Michael Mcleod's (Liberal MP) office has promised to try and move it along for me.

I've got my fingers crossed for us all and will update as soon as there is anything worth sharing !

johnny123

Aug 18, 2012
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
18-10-2016
Med's Done....
10-12-2016 passed
Passport Req..
25-01-2017
VISA ISSUED...
13-02-2017
LANDED..........
19-04-2017
BritishBulldog said:
Jonny123 - on the same page you linked to it has the following:

"Since officers must verify the validity date of the LMIA before processing a work permit application, concurrent processing (the processing of a work permit application that is pending receipt of a valid LMIA) cannot be permitted in most circumstances."

i was advised by my employers legal representatives that i should apply for my new WP on the same day that the old one (august 18th) expired to allow the longest possible period of implied status and to give them time to finish the LMIA application process. they also advised that this would be quicker than territorial nominee program but in hindsight that has proven to be false. As have many things they have said and done.

side note: anyone thinking of using McLennon Ross as their legal representation - please don't, for your own good.

In the end they didn't submit then LMIA application until almost a month after i had applied for the WP. i have the letter from CIC stating the WP was declined because there was no LMIA issued (yet). That was December 10th so i have 90 days (March 9th) in which to sort something out before i'm subject to a removal order but frankly i will remove myself before it comes to that !

Another side note: if you're waiting for LMIA why not write to your MP/MLA - they can influence things and make a case on your behalf to ESDC. In the NWT Michael Mcleod's (Liberal MP) office has promised to try and move it along for me.

I've got my fingers crossed for us all and will update as soon as there is anything worth sharing !
I am sorry to hear about your representatives, but yes, they were wrong.

The same page has what I pasted just under your quote, starting with "Exception:". At the end of it it's stated "Applications will be held by CIC for 60 days, after which a determination regarding the work permit will be made.". That is why your application was declined. With "most circumstances" they meant on outland applications.

Good luck with everything, don't give up. My LMIA took just a bit less than 5 months to go through. Processing centre was Edmonton. It got approved in July 2015.

SarahNicole

Oct 29, 2015
Calgary, AB
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Funbox said:
So, it seems that there are 4 of us waiting for more than 17-19 weeks approximately.
There is also "me," updating on my boyfriend's wait...Initially sent at the end of June, then found out it "was never received" (lost I think) around October. His application was resent at the end of November, just heard today that SC asked for a correction on his application.

AlanKju

Star Member
Nov 5, 2015
Brazil (for now...)
Category........
NOC Code......
2141 - Industrial Engineer
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-Sep-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Oct-15
Interview........
27-Jan-2016
SarahNicole said:
There is also "me," updating on my boyfriend's wait...Initially sent at the end of June, then found out it "was never received" (lost I think) around October. His application was resent at the end of November, just heard today that SC asked for a correction on his application.
Good to know they are back to work. :)

Funbox

Star Member
Sep 27, 2015
Calgary, Canada
johnny123 said:
I am sorry to hear about your representatives, but yes, they were wrong.

The same page has what I pasted just under your quote, starting with "Exception:". At the end of it it's stated "Applications will be held by CIC for 60 days, after which a determination regarding the work permit will be made.". That is why your application was declined. With "most circumstances" they meant on outland applications.

Good luck with everything, don't give up. My LMIA took just a bit less than 5 months to go through. Processing centre was Edmonton. It got approved in July 2015.
I agreed with you. When I was in Canada, I applied to my work permit at the same time my employer applied to the LMIA.
Then I got a Implied Status (that means I was waiting a response) that had the same rules of my previous visa. However, the LMIA was/is taking more time that we expected so I left the country before my visa was rejected. It was rejected 3 months after the application (reason: no LMIA provided).

LinaD

Star Member
Dec 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
SarahNicole said:
I had almost the same case, send application on September never charged the money, than my employer called them two times they said to update again file, on mid of November charged my commpany and they got file number, good to hear that they start working even thought tomorrow is I think holiday

SarahNicole

Oct 29, 2015
Calgary, AB
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LinaD said:
I had almost the same case, send application on September never charged the money, than my employer called them two times they said to update again file, on mid of November charged my commpany and they got file number, good to hear that they start working even thought tomorrow is I think holiday
I think it is technically a holiday but not a statutory holiday

dbc

Star Member
Feb 4, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23/03/2016
AOR Received.
23-3-2016
Med's Done....
Feb. 2016
Funbox said:
So, it seems that there are 4 of us waiting for more than 17-19 weeks approximately.
Count me in, my LMIA application ( support PR) was sent in August 2015, additional docs request/sent in Sept., Interviewed the employer first week of Dec., plus requested additional docs(about our ads) and was sent in mid of December. We made a follow up but they said it's still on process....

August 2014 ainp

Star Member
Jan 5, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Doc's Request.
03-04-2016
AOR Received.
03-03-2016
dbc said:
Count me in, my LMIA application ( support PR) was sent in August 2015, additional docs request/sent in Sept., Interviewed the employer first week of Dec., plus requested additional docs(about our ads) and was sent in mid of December. We made a follow up but they said it's still on process....
Hi i applied lmia for support pr as well can you tell me from where you applied and what noc code?

dbc

Star Member
Feb 4, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23/03/2016
AOR Received.
23-3-2016
Med's Done....
Feb. 2016
August 2014 ainp said:
Hi i applied lmia for support pr as well can you tell me from where you applied and what noc code?
Ontario, NOC 1231..

ozlis

Oct 20, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ozlis said:
So sent off our second attempt on Wednesday, they received it in the office today. Boss had a phonetcall this morning with the case office saying she would close it out today and it looked very positive.

So a potential one day approval!?
Update on this one, we did indeed get approval on the file within two days of it arriving at the processing office! The credit card declined and we didn't get follow up until early this week, but all done!

LinaD

Star Member
Dec 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ozlis said:
Update on this one, we did indeed get approval on the file within two days of it arriving at the processing office! The credit card declined and we didn't get follow up until early this week, but all done!

Happy to hear that, lucky you.
What noc was your application, was it high wage (second attempt) and which province?

Funbox

Star Member
Sep 27, 2015
Calgary, Canada
dbc said:
I didn't know they could request additional documents twice. What did they ask in the first time? Info about the ads as well?

audrey888

Aug 12, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Inland
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks a lot I found this thread. I'm in AB and my prospective employer applied for Lmia just recently. I have no idea how the process works for dual intent Lmia that I can use as PR support. The employer told me it'll take 2 months the least for processing and he mentioned about the interview process.
I hope to get a some positive updates in the coming weeks Good luck to all!!!