+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Lived in Canada for 11 years, just graduated highschool. Need help from here.

immvp

Dec 16, 2016
19 years, old and just graduated from highschool in Canada.
What is the best way for me to get PR?
Eventually I want to become a citizen of Canada, but for now, PR comes first :)

The tricky part is that I have someone who is willing to employ me full time, however I am on a student visa.
Is anyone familiar with how this works?
Thank you again guys, I couldn't think of a better place than to ask for you guys' help here.

rmonroe

Star Member
Nov 4, 2015
Ottawa
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Do this:
1.Graduate first from University
2. get a 3 year open work permit
3 Get a job under a NOC
4. apply for the residency.

Cheers

picklee

Feb 19, 2017
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rmonroe said:
Do this:
3 Get a job under a NOC

Cheers
Yes, you are probably a few years from being able to apply under current economic immigration programs. You said you have a study visa, where do you study? What is your program? How long is your program?

immvp

Dec 16, 2016
picklee said:
Yes, you are probably a few years from being able to apply under current economic immigration programs. You said you have a study visa, where do you study? What is your program? How long is your program?
I am currently undergoing first year forengineering program in Toronto. I however don't have enough funds to be able to afford to pay the tution, I'd much rather go to college. What's the minimum amount of time that I have to study to be eligible? Also, what programs are best for immigration? Does it matter to an extent?

Also, does the fact that I have someone who's offering to employ me like on the spot not have much value? I was thinking getting a work visa and working and getting pr that way, but I guess it doesn't work that simple?

immvp

Dec 16, 2016
rmonroe said:
Do this:
3 Get a job under a NOC

Cheers
I guess the fact that someone is willing to employ me doesn't have much merit... is that right?
Also, I don't think I can afford a university education but instead a college program. What is the minimum amount of time I have to study and work to get work visa and eventually PR? My family is really struggling right now, and I am looking for the cheapest and fastest way to get PR. Also, what is the NOC?

Thank you.

picklee

Feb 19, 2017
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
immvp said:
I am currently undergoing first year forengineering program in Toronto. I however don't have enough funds to be able to afford to pay the tution, I'd much rather go to college. What's the minimum amount of time that I have to study to be eligible? Also, what programs are best for immigration? Does it matter to an extent?

Also, does the fact that I have someone who's offering to employ me like on the spot not have much value? I was thinking getting a work visa and working and getting pr that way, but I guess it doesn't work that simple?

The minimum program length is 8 months, and the post graduation work permit is valid for your length of study up to 3 years. So if you were going that route for PR, you would need to study at least 1 year and graduate with a degree/diploma. The actual field of study is irrelevant, but you need to ensure that your program and university/college qualify.

It is possible to get a work permit without studying. In this case, you would need to get a LMIA which your employer has to be willing to pay for. Then apply for the WP and work one year then apply for PR. However, while this may be the fastest route, you will not gain points for studying in Canada or having a degree, which in most cases can be the limiting factor besides Canadian work experience.

immvp

Dec 16, 2016
picklee said:
The minimum program length is 8 months, and the post graduation work permit is valid for your length of study up to 3 years. So if you were going that route for PR, you would need to study at least 1 year and graduate with a degree/diploma. The actual field of study is irrelevant, but you need to ensure that your program and university/college qualify.

It is possible to get a work permit without studying. In this case, you would need to get a LMIA which your employer has to be willing to pay for. Then apply for the WP and work one year then apply for PR. However, while this may be the fastest route, you will not gain points for studying in Canada or having a degree, which in most cases can be the limiting factor besides Canadian work experience.
Ahh I see, Now I have even more questions... I know some people like who own small restraurents hire people and they get PR that way, did they go through the LMIA proccess as well? I thought that the LMIA process was difficult and coin flippy, but I guess they figured out a way to do it consistently? That's very interesting, correct me if I am wrong, so I guess the LMIA can be done by anyone like a restraurent owner hiring employees.

Alright I think I will be doing a 1 year program, however most one year programs i believe offered in canada are certificates, not diplomas. DOes that impact anything?

Also, I were to take a 1 year program and completing it over a course of 2 years, Would that make me eligible for a 2 year work permit?

Also, I am taking 1 year already in a engineering program in uni, but I will be switching to a college 1 year program, would that count as well as the length of study even if it was for a different program and thus I will be eligible for a 2 year permit?

thank you!

Alexios07

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
immvp said:

Try to take some Diploma program with part-time option. This way you can work part time and support yourself or even pay a part of the tuition. One thing to note that getting a Diploma will not give you a high CRS score in the Education factor, so try to get at least CLB 9 on IELTS to get a maximum score of 428 or 453.

rmonroe

Star Member
Nov 4, 2015
Ottawa
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
if you go to college for 2 years, you won't be able to take 2 years work permit..only 1

picklee

Feb 19, 2017
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Alexios07 said:
Try to take some Diploma program with part-time option. This way you can work part time and support yourself or even pay a part of the tuition. One thing to note that getting a Diploma will not give you a high CRS score in the Education factor, so try to get at least CLB 9 on IELTS to get a maximum score of 428 or 453.
That's not entirely true. High school diploma gives you 30 points, one year program gives you 90 points, and a two year program gives you 98 points. That's a significant difference between high school and one year studying in college.

rmonroe said:
if you go to college for 2 years, you won't be able to take 2 years work permit..only 1
Not true. If you study full time in same program, same university and graduate after two years you are eligible for 2 year post graduation work permit.
immvp said:
Ahh I see, Now I have even more questions... I know some people like who own small restraurents hire people and they get PR that way, did they go through the LMIA proccess as well? I thought that the LMIA process was difficult and coin flippy, but I guess they figured out a way to do it consistently? That's very interesting, correct me if I am wrong, so I guess the LMIA can be done by anyone like a restraurent owner hiring employees.

Alright I think I will be doing a 1 year program, however most one year programs i believe offered in canada are certificates, not diplomas. DOes that impact anything?

Also, I were to take a 1 year program and completing it over a course of 2 years, Would that make me eligible for a 2 year work permit?

Also, I am taking 1 year already in a engineering program in uni, but I will be switching to a college 1 year program, would that count as well as the length of study even if it was for a different program and thus I will be eligible for a 2 year permit?

thank you!
LMIA is a pain. Studying is easier.

Certificates are fine.

Two different programs do not count.

immvp

Dec 16, 2016
Alexios07 said:
I am very fluent in english so I hope that I can do that. I am actually not looking for part time right now as I do have enough to pay for the tuition. Is there any diploma program that takes 1 year only? That would be amazing. Also, as for the points, where can I see how I can grade myself on points? Thank you :)

Alexios07

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
picklee said:
That's not entirely true. High school diploma gives you 30 points, one year program gives you 90 points, and a two year program gives you 98 points. That's a significant difference between high school and one year studying in college.
I was talking about high CRS score, like from Bachelor and up, and if you take a 2-year program, you will get a 3-year PGWP.

immvp said:
I am very fluent in english so I hope that I can do that. I am actually not looking for part time right now as I do have enough to pay for the tuition. Is there any diploma program that takes 1 year only? That would be amazing. Also, as for the points, where can I see how I can grade myself on points? Thank you :)
Don't take any 1 year program, as you will only get a 1 year PGWP. That's barely enough time to do anything meaningful.

CRS calculator: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/crs-tool.asp

Btw, are you in BC? if so, BC has a very good PNP you can go with after you graduate.

immvp

Dec 16, 2016
Alexios07 said:
I was talking about high CRS score, like from Bachelor and up, and if you take a 2-year program, you will get a 3-year PGWP.

Don't take any 1 year program, as you will only get a 1 year PGWP. That's barely enough time to do anything meaningful.

CRS calculator:

Btw, are you in BC? if so, BC has a very good PNP you can go with after you graduate.
I am in toronto, but suprisingly, the employer that I speaking of is in BC. Is it okay to study in toronto and then go to BC to work?
Why is their PNP good though?
Also, I have 2 sisters in Manitoba who are applying for PR and we have our own house, does that change anything?

picklee

Feb 19, 2017
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Alexios07 said:
I was talking about high CRS score, like from Bachelor and up,
Yes, well to be fair 90 points is 60 more than 30. ;)

Alexios07 said:
and if you take a 2-year program, you will get a 3-year PGWP.
No, PGWP is only valid for length of program up to three years.

Alexios07 said:
I agree, and OP would be cutting it very close to 12 months full time work experience. However, it is worthwhile to note that you only gain 8 more points for another year of study.

Alexios07 said:
PNP is another possibility, but will add a few months to processing time and cost another $700.

picklee

Feb 19, 2017
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
immvp said:
I am in toronto, but suprisingly, the employer that I speaking of is in BC. Is it okay to study in toronto and then go to BC to work?
Yes.

immvp said:
Why is their PNP good though?
Because you get 600 additional points for PNP, so you are basically guaranteed being selected for PR.

immvp said:
Also, I have 2 sisters in Manitoba who are applying for PR and we have our own house, does that change anything?
Changes nothing.