+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Life in Canada more deadly for immigrants?

murtazaabbasi

Mar 9, 2010
Pakistan
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
19-04-2010
Doc's Request.
12-July-2010
Nomination.....
AOR Received.
12-July-2010
IELTS Request
Done
File Transfer...
20-July-2010
Med's Request
Done on 3 Sep 2014
Med's Done....
Sent by E-medical System
Interview........
No interview
Passport Req..
yes, rcvd PR1
VISA ISSUED...
Got it
LANDED..........
landed 24-May2015, Decision made 22-2-2019. Next Oath
26. October 2008 17:52

Immigrants who come to Canada seeking a better life may in fact be setting themselves up for possible premature death.
A study by Canadian researchers finds that the longer immigrants remain in Canada, the worse their cardiovascular health becomes. "The health of immigrants coming to Canada from China, South Asia, or Europe worsens with each decade they stay in the country," Heart and Stroke Foundation researcher Dr. Scott Lear told the Canadian Cardiovascular Congress 2008, co-hosted by the Heart and Stroke Foundation and the Canadian Cardiovascular Society.

"We don't want people to think 'come to Canada and die,'" says Dr. Lear, a kinesiologist at Simon Fraser University in British Columbia. "But there is something going on. Immigrants are very healthy when they first come to Canada, but as their time here increases, so does their cardiovascular risk." Dr. Lear and his colleagues measured atherosclerosis - or narrowing of an artery - in the carotid artery with ultrasound in more than 600 Chinese, European, and South Asian immigrants. With that as their determinant of health, the researchers found that the longer the immigrant stayed in Canada, the narrower the carotid arteries.

refrence website:

http://www.news-medical.net/news/2008/10/26/42149.aspx

jnathan

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Sheng Chiu
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21st Jan 2010
Doc's Request.
10th March 2010
AOR Received.
10th June 2010
IELTS Request
provided
File Transfer...
IN PROCESS: 12th October, 2010
Med's Request
Withdrawal Request sent....Was waiting for files to return....instead of returning the files, VO sent the MR !!
Med's Done....
28 May 2012
Passport Req..
24 July 2012
Food habit,

vegetables are a bit costly than Meat in canada. Fish is also not much readily available.
Besides, its a Cold country , mostly, so people dont come out that much and walk or exercise.

Any other thoughts ???

SFD

Feb 8, 2010
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Murtazaabassi

Thanks for sharing this Interesting article, BUT will NOT stop any one to give it a SHOT.

I AM NOT.. 8)

SFD

CanadaVisa4me

Star Member
Aug 5, 2009
I can understand them getting unhealthier, but are they getting unhealthier at a higher rate than their counterparts back home.

Perhaps it is a sign of unhealthiness of a general population, part of which is now transferred to Canada.

Another question is, how are the health of the children. I presume the children born to immigrants in canada probably have better health than their counterparts back in the other country.

me2land

Aug 25, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Maybe Dr. Lear is scared the immigrants will take all the jobs

¬m2l

hmisabpk

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
murtazaabbasi said:
26. October 2008 17:52

Immigrants who come to Canada seeking a better life may in fact be setting themselves up for possible premature death.
A study by Canadian researchers finds that the longer immigrants remain in Canada, the worse their cardiovascular health becomes. "The health of immigrants coming to Canada from China, South Asia, or Europe worsens with each decade they stay in the country," Heart and Stroke Foundation researcher Dr. Scott Lear told the Canadian Cardiovascular Congress 2008, co-hosted by the Heart and Stroke Foundation and the Canadian Cardiovascular Society.

"We don't want people to think 'come to Canada and die,'" says Dr. Lear, a kinesiologist at Simon Fraser University in British Columbia. "But there is something going on. Immigrants are very healthy when they first come to Canada, but as their time here increases, so does their cardiovascular risk." Dr. Lear and his colleagues measured atherosclerosis - or narrowing of an artery - in the carotid artery with ultrasound in more than 600 Chinese, European, and South Asian immigrants. With that as their determinant of health, the researchers found that the longer the immigrant stayed in Canada, the narrower the carotid arteries.

refrence website:

http://www.news-medical.net/news/2008/10/26/42149.aspx

Nice article,
Many factors are involved in increasing the stork in immigrants as researcher mentioned in their research few are following.

"Length of stay in Canada remained an independent risk factor for atherosclerosis, even after considering other factors such as age, sex, ethnicity, family history of cardiovascular disease, type 2 diabetes, level of education, income, body mass index, abdominal fat, smoking status, physical activity, lipids, insulin, blood glucose, and blood pressure. Atherosclerosis is a leading contributor to heart disease and stroke, which are the leading cause of death in Canada"

other factors as I feel

Family History:-

• Atherosclerosis,
    Blood Pressure,
    Cardiology,
    Cardiovascular Disease,
    Diabetes,

Lack of medical awareness or Medical Education,

Type 1 & Type 2 Diabetes, use of Insulin,

Smoking habit

Alcohol use or addiction ( Which is missing from his research or not included in the risk factor by researcher)

Life style,

Food habits,

Stress,

Tensions, (job related, or domestic)

Obesity,

Lack of exercises

Lack of proper rest

More uses of meat or meat product (specially pork or pork products which contains heavy fats, Which is missing from his research)

concerned about house expense

Children behavior with parents

economical tight situation or still fulfilling the home back country families responsibility

and

many more other factors are involved

Regards

HMISABPK

BobbyB

Champion Member
Feb 10, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
me2land said:
Maybe Dr. Lear is scared the immigrants will take all the jobs

¬m2l
That's not true.
My 2 cent's worth:
The truth is, immigrants, in fact to any country, especially nowadays, face a lot more stress and stressful situations than the indigenous people. Most of them try to achieve that what others have achieved over a long period of time in just a few years and that is definitely detrimental to their health and to their families.

Most people will not agree with this bitter truth but give it a go yourself. I have always said time and again, not all that glitters is gold, not even in the UK or any other European country. To start and earn a good life in a new country is not easy. Tons of people are in debt, due to one reason or the other, all for the sake of a better life for themselves and their families., but it is always good to follow that old adage which says " cut your coat according to your size".

PS: Note that I am not trying to discourage anyone. In fact moving to Canada from so called third world countries is 100% better.

Good luck and keep exercising (patience as well to get your visa).

BobbyB

mpapdp.1984

Oct 27, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-11-2008
AOR Received.
18-03-2009
File Transfer...
27-10-2009
Med's Request
16-04-2010
Med's Done....
29-04-2010 (Reached Ottawa May 4 2010)
Interview........
waived
BobbyB said:
That's not true.
My 2 cent's worth:
The truth is, immigrants, in fact to any country, especially nowadays, face a lot more stress and stressful situations than the indigenous people. Most of them try to achieve that what others have achieved over a long period of time in just a few years and that is definitely detrimental to their health and to their families.

Most people will not agree with this bitter truth but give it a go yourself. I have always said time and again, not all that glitters is gold, not even in the UK or any other European country. To start and earn a good life in a new country is not easy. Tons of people are in debt, due to one reason or the other, all for the sake of a better life for themselves and their families., but it is always good to follow that old adage which says " cut your coat according to your size".

PS: Note that I am not trying to discourage anyone. In fact moving to Canada from so called third world countries is 100% better.

BobbyB
Agree with BobbyB here. We come to North America from our countries and start by getting educated. Then it's getting a stable job, then getting your greencard, then buying a house, getting your citizenship, getting your kids educated, sending them to top notch schools, getting them settled..........by the time you know it your time, energy and health have been drained.

Everyone dreams of coming to the continent for a better life; but the struggle is intense and the stress can take a toll on your health, your family and your marriage sometimes.

A possible solution to overcome the shortcomings. No matter what happens, you must exercise at least an hour a day, eat more fruits and vegetables to keep the antioxidant levels high, and ENJOY life whatever form/turn it takes.

I know it's easier said than done, but trust me it works!!

me2land

Aug 25, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
BobbyB said:
That's not true.
My 2 cent's worth:

BobbyB
I think this study is a bs. Immigrants in the West are typically more successful than the natural born.This doctor is probably racist and don't like black/brown people move to Canada. Stress is everywhere is the world. Back home I ate the same food everyday seven days a week. Now I moved to the west I have never been healthier in my life.
¬m2l

CanadaVisa4me

Star Member
Aug 5, 2009
me2land said:
I think this study is a bs. Immigrants in the West are typically more successful than the natural born.This doctor is probably racist and don't like black/brown people move to Canada. Stress is everywhere is the world. Back home I ate the same food everyday seven days a week. Now I moved to the west I have never been healthier in my life.
¬m2l
Statistics is not made of one sample point. Your example may not indicate an average immigrant's life. Furthermore, many going to Canada may not get a job of their liking for a long time which creates a lot of stress in the beginning on the body. There are lots of notional evidence about how immigrants struggle in canada at the beginning and that struggle can only make your health go down. So why do it? Perhaps for children, the immigrants health may go down but its worth the opportunities created for their kids!!!!

But i do not disagree with what you are saying. However, i presume the researcher comes from a prestigious institution which might imply a greater chance of rigor than not.

googleman

Star Member
Mar 24, 2010
me2land said:
¬m2l
Ha ha ha...yeah all these statistics are unreliable, but it's frigging cold in winter and fish's expensive and good jobs are hard to come by even for the Canadian-born!

SFD

Feb 8, 2010
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hey Guys:

I agree with Bobby, googleman and the rest:

If you are financially healthy, you might not face all this. I find that after living in the USA and having my children attending School there, this will make it a bit easy pain...
We all have our own story....

YES, WE CAN.. AND I AM NOT DEMOCRAT.....

SFD

hadikinliongs

Apr 19, 2010
Indonesia
Category........
Visa Office......
Nova Scotia
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 OCTOBER 2010
AOR Received.
11 FEBRUARY 2011
Med's Request
23 APRIL 2012
Med's Done....
4 MAY 2012
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
4 MAY 2012
VISA ISSUED...
31 MAY 2012
LANDED..........
31 MARCH 2013
Hi All,

Don't agree with the topic.
I don't think that Life in Canada more deadly for immigrants.
It depends on yourself. What you eat, think, do, if you have a positive thinking more than negative thinking than the positive effect will bounce back more than the negative one.

For example, my uncle has moved to Canada for over 20 years , he managed to settle there, got a better job, and now he is retiring. He encouraged me to immigrate to follow his path.
Why?
Because he thought that Canada is better place to live in.

Plan for the worst, Hope for the best

Hadikin

phdmaker

Jan 11, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mpapdp.1984 said:
Agree with BobbyB here. We come to North America from our countries and start by getting educated. Then it's getting a stable job, then getting your greencard, then buying a house, getting your citizenship, getting your kids educated, sending them to top notch schools, getting them settled..........by the time you know it your time, energy and health have been drained.

Everyone dreams of coming to the continent for a better life; but the struggle is intense and the stress can take a toll on your health, your family and your marriage sometimes.

A possible solution to overcome the shortcomings. No matter what happens, you must exercise at least an hour a day, eat more fruits and vegetables to keep the antioxidant levels high, and ENJOY life whatever form/turn it takes.

I know it's easier said than done, but trust me it works!!
Very nice & a universal truth. :)