+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

legally change name, what can i do to update/change name in my PR card?

micah27andrea

Aug 5, 2011
hi, i legally change the name of my daughter and i want to know how to change also the name in her PR card? we did already the health card, and sin, but we dont know how to change the new name in PR card. Please help! thanks!

twiggy

Star Member
Jun 20, 2012
I do not believe you can change that as your PR card, record of landing etc contains your information as is when you were granted that status.
a change is only allowed if CIC made an error at the time and you can prove the errors were from them.

The PR card is still valid so just have any documents with regards to the name change with you when you use the card

good luck !!!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

micah27andrea said:
hi, i legally change the name of my daughter and i want to know how to change also the name in her PR card? we did already the health card, and sin, but we dont know how to change the new name in PR card. Please help! thanks!
Follow the instructions here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/prcard.asp

Legal change of name

If your present name is different from the name printed on your Record of Landing (IMM 1000) or Confirmation of Permanent Residence (IMM 5292 or IMM 5688), you must send in supporting legal documentation as proof of your name change in addition to supporting identity documents as requested in section 3 of Step 1. Supporting legal documentation may include:

a copy of a legal change of name document, court order, adoption order issued by a civil authority in a province or territory of Canada, or a marriage certificate, divorce decree, registration, declaration of union, revocation of declaration or annulment of union issued by a civil authority in a province or territory of Canada, showing your new name, unless you have been married in and are currently a resident of Quebec;
if you are a permanent resident who changed their name outside of Canada, provide a foreign passport or other national authoritative document that has been amended to reflect the new name, and an official document linking the old and new names.

Neelkhan001

Mar 19, 2021
Hi

Follow the instructions here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/prcard.asp

Legal change of name

If your present name is different from the name printed on your Record of Landing (IMM 1000) or Confirmation of Permanent Residence (IMM 5292 or IMM 5688), you must send in supporting legal documentation as proof of your name change in addition to supporting identity documents as requested in section 3 of Step 1. Supporting legal documentation may include:

a copy of a legal change of name document, court order, adoption order issued by a civil authority in a province or territory of Canada, or a marriage certificate, divorce decree, registration, declaration of union, revocation of declaration or annulment of union issued by a civil authority in a province or territory of Canada, showing your new name, unless you have been married in and are currently a resident of Quebec;
if you are a permanent resident who changed their name outside of Canada, provide a foreign passport or other national authoritative document that has been amended to reflect the new name, and an official document linking the old and new names.
What is comprised of an an official document linking the old and new names? What is acceptable here?

Reactions: sp1989