+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Leaving and returning from Canada as a visitor - while applying for PR status

jon_dza

Apr 29, 2011
Calgary, Alberta
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

Me and my common-law partner put in my application for PR status in May 2011. So far we have only gotten confirmation that she has been accepted as a sponsor and that they have received our files and my medical records in the UK (we applied out-land).

I have been in Canada for almost a year on the WHV and it is expiring on the 12th of September. I plan to apply for a change of status to visitor status before that happens.

My question is while in Canada as a visitor will it be possible for me and my partner to visit my family this Christmas and then return to Canada to wait for the PR. Or will there be problems with immigrations when I try to re-enter. For example I have heard that they feel that those who are applying for PR status are a risk to overstay their visas.

I am a 24 year old Danish male if that makes and difference and have been working full time in Canada for the last year.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Maid_Marian

Star Member
May 19, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22/07/2011
Med's Done....
12-07-2011
Passport Req..
17-11-2011
VISA ISSUED...
13-12-2011
LANDED..........
30-12-2011
Hi, I've been here on the working holiday visa too and recently sent off my outland application for PR.

As far as I understand it, the main thing you have to do is to independently maintain your visitor status. So, about a month before your WHV expires, apply online to change your status to visitor. It's an easy form and it costs about $75. I did this 6 weeks before my visa expired and I'm still waiting for my confirmation (I think you get a certificate), but you have implied visitor status while it's being processed. I was advised that the max they would probably give is about 6 months. On the application, be sure to say that this is a temporary thing: CIC want to know that you're returning home - even if you're hoping to receive PR before then!

Travelling while applying Outland is okay, but you still have to maintain your visitor status. Therefore, when you return, you MUST have proof of a return flight. I know, as a UK resident, I can visit Canada for up to 6 months without a visa, and Denmark may be the same? But the return flight is key, as far as I understand it.

jon_dza

Apr 29, 2011
Calgary, Alberta
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ok, ya if you would get a certificate as a visitor that would probably help. I am going to send in my change of status application shortly. Still have about a month left on my WHV.