+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Latest updates for VAC biometrics reopening in India

HopefulLegend

Star Member
May 21, 2021
All VACs across India are closed because of COVID. As such, no one is able to submit biometrics.

Please post any new updates/insight that comes out regarding the reopening of these VACs for biometrics here.

HopefulLegend

Star Member
May 21, 2021
What I saw specifically says students. Check the VFS site, maybe they have more info.
Yeah, it explicitly says students on their website too. The good news is that this means the VACs are opened and working again now. Canada's website where they show the Indian VAC website link for biometric collections now says that they're "Open with limited services" so this is great to hear. Hopefully they announce an opening for spousal biometrics soon too.

Reactions: Canada2020eh

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
@armoured did you have any opinion on this? Best to wait for the VAC to explicitly say that family sponsorship applicants can sign up for biometric enrolment?
Well, if someone wants to try, can't hurt. But I suspect they announced this way for a reason - that for student visas, timing is critical to start of school season. So for now they're probably not taking non-student biometrics. (Probably only for a limited period of time)

Keep in mind though - for spousal apps, they request biometrics (and medicals) at the beginning of the process but as far as I can tell it's not a critical part of the process until much later. In other words, not much sense getting overly freaked out by delays in giving biometrics.

HopefulLegend

Star Member
May 21, 2021
Well, if someone wants to try, can't hurt. But I suspect they announced this way for a reason - that for student visas, timing is critical to start of school season. So for now they're probably not taking non-student biometrics. (Probably only for a limited period of time)

Keep in mind though - for spousal apps, they request biometrics (and medicals) at the beginning of the process but as far as I can tell it's not a critical part of the process until much later. In other words, not much sense getting overly freaked out by delays in giving biometrics.
That makes sense. One thing that was worrying me was how the biometrics being paused effects spousal application processing. But it seems like perhaps it makes no difference if they only use these biometrics at a later stage eh? With that said, it all may go hand in hand too since if they aren't collecting biometrics, staff actually may not even be in the VAC to process any spousal applications. I hope the processing continues.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
That makes sense. One thing that was worrying me was how the biometrics being paused effects spousal application processing. But it seems like perhaps it makes no difference if they only use these biometrics at a later stage eh? With that said, it all may go hand in hand too since if they aren't collecting biometrics, staff actually may not even be in the VAC to process any spousal applications. I hope the processing continues.
Staff in the vac don't process applications. Just logistics and the biometrics collection.

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
Biometrics are not a pass or fail item, it is only collecting the data so having it delayed until things open up more should not impact application processing.

HopefulLegend

Star Member
May 21, 2021
Biometrics are not a pass or fail item, it is only collecting the data so having it delayed until things open up more should not impact application processing.
Makes sense. So even if the biometric collection is closed, the NDVO will continue to process spousal applications you think?