+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing and moving next week!!! Questions...

MrsMiller

Aug 24, 2009
Hey All,

I am landing and moving my stuff over to Canada next week, finally! My question is, can I bring stuff that has never been opened? My husband and I got married 10 months ago so we haven't officially set up housekeeping and I have a lot of gifts from people in the U.S. that I still have over there. Is this going to be a problem? Should I open things so they look like they have been used? I know CIBC says: If you get married within three months of coming to Canada or if you plan to marry no later than three months after you arrive here, you may bring your wedding gifts without paying duty. However, you must have owned them before you arrived in Canada. In these items the “use” requirement for the goods does not apply. These same conditions apply to household goods you bring in as wedding gifts.

Please let me know if you have been in this situation and what your experience was landing in Windsor, Ontario. Thanks!

dwthomson

Dec 9, 2009
Can i ask who you are using to move your stuff? We having been looking into companies and they are giving figures like £5000 to move a sofa and a bed from the UK.

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Original:14Mar2007; Reprocess began after appeal:26Apr2010
Doc's Request.
Original:9May'07; Reprocess:7May'10
AOR Received.
Original:28Apr'07; Reprocess:26Apr'10
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Reprocessing:7May2010
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
Considering the fact that you married 10 months ago, and the instructions say within the past three months, I'd say you should not have a bunch of stuff in unopened packaging. You might make a case for those things being wedding gifts you've had in storage, or whatever, but you're probably best not to annoy them. Just my opinion - I'm a bit anal, but I'd have everything opened and packed in boxes like you normally would in a household move.

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dwthomson said:
Can i ask who you are using to move your stuff? We having been looking into companies and they are giving figures like £5000 to move a sofa and a bed from the UK.
Sell them in the UK, Canada does have furniture for sale :)