+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landed PR -- SIN # issue (Please help)

appl3456

Feb 7, 2017
I have a landing paper as proof that I have landed in Canada (though it was 20 years ago and I have been away ever since), went to Service Canada to apply for a SIN # and they didn't reject me but they said the system couldn't recognize the landing paper because it is too old so they had to mail it in for me today.

Does anybody know if the fact that my landing paper is too old will cause any problems? Or if I would be asked to do "an interview" with an officer or something like that (they mentioned something along the lines of that today at the centre)?

I also actually have a job waiting for me in Canada but the application over mail will apparently take at least one month... Sad

Sooo, any advice/feedback will really help! Thanks!!! :)

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
appl3456 said:
I have a landing paper as proof that I have landed in Canada (though it was 20 years ago and I have been away ever since), went to Service Canada to apply for a SIN # and they didn't reject me but they said the system couldn't recognize the landing paper because it is too old so they had to mail it in for me today.

Does anybody know if the fact that my landing paper is too old will cause any problems? Or if I would be asked to do "an interview" with an officer or something like that (they mentioned something along the lines of that today at the centre)?

I also actually have a job waiting for me in Canada but the application over mail will apparently take at least one month... Sad

Sooo, any advice/feedback will really help! Thanks!!! :)
What's your status now in Canada? Citizen or re-applied and re-landed as new immigrant?

appl3456

Feb 7, 2017
thecoolguysam said:
What's your status now in Canada? Citizen or re-applied and re-landed as new immigrant?
I have currently re-landed and will be staying for the two out of five years while I am here!

Thanks!:)

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
appl3456 said:
I have currently re-landed and will be staying for the two out of five years while I am here!

Then you should have new landing document? Didn't you use the new one? Why did you use the old one?

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
appl3456 said:

I think based on what you describe it depends on how thoroughly the person receiving the mail from the service canada office will be in checking your status. If you are lucky, they'll simply check that the landing paper you provided is genuine. If you aren't lucky they will also check border crossings and such.

This is just my personal judgement on this situation. This seems to be a very special case, so I think it's hard to find reliable info on this forum...

Netnet

Jan 16, 2017
I think I have the same situation as you before. I have landed Toronto at the year 1997 but just stay for 1 month and back to my home country.I come back in 2014.When I try to apply my daughter‘s sin .The staff from Service Canada told me that the landing paper is old.!Ask me to contact CIC.
After I go to another Service Canada branch and my daughter got it.
Same as I apply the Health card. I try another branch and got it too.
I suggest you try to apply in different branch.

vjdua

Star Member
Sep 28, 2013
appl3456 said:

Can you please tell how you relanded after so many years and not meeting RO.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
I don't believe that the OP "relanded" as in a formal process. They probably just managed to get past CBSA without being reported for non-compliance with the residency obligation requirements. Maybe CBSA didn't realize that they were permanent residents?

Tubsmagee

Jul 2, 2016
zardoz said:
I don't believe that the OP "relanded" as in a formal process. They probably just managed to get past CBSA without being reported for non-compliance with the residency obligation requirements. Maybe CBSA didn't realize that they were permanent residents?
Agree, unless OP was accompanying a citizen spouse or one other exemption

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
zardoz said:
Or that fact was not disclosed.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Service Canada has new rules for SIN. They are not supposed to issue one unless you have a COPR that is less than one year old or a valid PR card.

If you landed years ago and do not meet the RO (residency obligation) you would not want to contact immigration at this point trying to ask for a new COPR or a new PR card for the simple fact that if you were able to get into the country without CBSA realizing that you don't meet the RO (or turning a blind eye to it), if you then go and contact immigration about it, you will be bringing their attention to that fact. Doing this can cause an investigation causing you to lose your PR. However, without a SIN you can't legally work. So that's a problem.

If you had a SIN at some point, it may have been set to dormant status due to years of not being in use. In that case, it should be enough for you to show your passport proving that the old SIN belongs to you and ask for it to be reactivated.

Panda_Bear

Jan 8, 2017
Netnet said:
I think I have the same situation as you before. I have landed Toronto at the year 1997 but just stay for 1 month and back to my home country.I come back in 2014.When I try to apply my daughter‘s sin .The staff from Service Canada told me that the landing paper is old.!Ask me to contact CIC.
After I go to another Service Canada branch and my daughter got it.
Same as I apply the Health card. I try another branch and got it too.
I suggest you try to apply in different branch.
This seems like straightforward immigration fraud... stories like this put all immigrants in bad light. Very sad that this can happen in Canada.