+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Kingston,Jamaica

oneandonly

Champion Member
Nov 9, 2012
Nevaeha said:
@ O&O -- I just found a pm from a former forum member and it cost them $1900 JMD to send the passport/return envelope to KG via DHL about nine months ago. I'm sure the cost has gone up somewhat but that is a ballpark figure for you to go by.
Oh thank you darling that's not bad I thought it would be 80cdn. Thank you for looking into that for me.

Nevaeha

Champion Member
Aug 18, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 12, 2012
Doc's Request.
Police certificate re-do: Feb 25, 2013
AOR Received.
June 6, 2012
Med's Done....
January 9, 2012 Medical extension: Feb 25, 2013
Passport Req..
December 6, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
December 12, 2013
LANDED..........
December 25, 2013
oneandonly said:
Oh thank you darling that's not bad I thought it would be 80cdn. Thank you for looking into that for me.
And remind your hubby to get a tracking number so you can track the package when KG returns it.

frankfield

Sep 5, 2011
greengurl said:
My husband thinks like this!! He has never left Jamaica and no matter how many times I try and tell him he just doesn't understand. Last night he asked me how long it would take for him to save a million dollars. Even though I love that he dreams big, realistically he will have to win the lottery to have a million dollars! He told me that was a little bit of money in Canada.
He also doesn't think we should have a mortgage and that we should save up until we can pay for a home. I told him we will be near retirement before that will happen and in the meantime we have paid thousands of dollars in rent!
I am not sure how else I can explain things to him. I suppose until he is here he won't fully understand!
I am laughing my locks off. My husband has vowed he will never buy a home here in Canada that he will never own..claims when you have a mortgage the bank owns your home and when you pay off this loan the government owns it by way of taxes. You are not alone. You will surprise how much they don't understand how things are here until it hits home. Only experience will do it... epistemic privileges will do the job. He hated living in an apartment, could not understand why folks would live this way. He also told the lady at the bank he plans on saving one million dollars which stunned her.. she looked at him like he was a drug dealer. ha ha. We had to move from the apartment.. he hated it. Still trying to save the million but unfortunately when the rent is due he has to withdraw it. oh so sad! I'd say encourage his best intentions, support his dreams, never let him loose sight of the thing that could be.... financial freedom.

frankfield

Sep 5, 2011
frankfield said:
He also told the lady at the bank he plans on saving one million dollars which stunned her.. she looked at him like he was a drug dealer. ha ha.
Any other sweet naive stories about Canada? Share them and the ways you seek to educate your spouses about life in Canada. This is a good time to share these thoughts, take notes and inform the men about the complexities and difference here. You would be surprise how giving accurate depictions of the new life helps the fellows/gals make a smoother transition. When individuals arrive in rose coloured glasses and find that the fantasy is far from the reality they become so disillusioned that they sometimes want to go home.... especially when life there provided them with respect at work, community etc. Even as simple as getting groceries while at the cashier needed explanation that we can't take our sweet time to collect our items when others are waiting. He'd say I am not in any rush.. the laid back atmosphere in Jamaica really gets pushed aside when they arrive, sometimes reluctantly. After 22 months reality set in, now his new favourate thing to say is "me soon gwan a mi yard" waiii, like the million dollar savings, when will this be? Then there is the lottery.

sammystorm19

Champion Member
Jan 20, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-05-13
Doc's Request.
23-09-14
AOR Received.
12-06-13
File Transfer...
27-06-13
Med's Done....
18-01-13
Passport Req..
09-10-14
VISA ISSUED...
17-10-14
LANDED..........
07-11-14
Happy Sunday!!!!

Go Cats Go!!!!!

That's all. Have a good night :)

Nevaeha

Champion Member
Aug 18, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 12, 2012
Doc's Request.
Police certificate re-do: Feb 25, 2013
AOR Received.
June 6, 2012
Med's Done....
January 9, 2012 Medical extension: Feb 25, 2013
Passport Req..
December 6, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
December 12, 2013
LANDED..........
December 25, 2013
sammystorm19 said:
Happy Sunday!!!!

Go Cats RIDERS Go!!!!!

That's all. Have a good night :)
:p

chickie72

VIP Member
Mar 12, 2012
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston, JA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-02-12
Doc's Request.
09-06-13
AOR Received.
20-06-12
File Transfer...
04-10-12
Med's Request
20-06-12
Med's Done....
07-09-12
Passport Req..
March 4, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
March 20, 2014
LANDED..........
March 22, 2014
Nevaeha said:
Sorry I am with Sammy on this one!

GO CATS GO!!!!!!!

CocoVanilla

Apr 21, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07JAN14
AOR Received.
12FEB14 (Sponsorship Approval)
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
03DEC14
VISA ISSUED...
05DEC14 (passport returned 19DEC14)
LANDED..........
20DEC14
I am with Nev..... Prairie Pride!!!

LET'S GO RIDERS !!!

chickie72

VIP Member
Mar 12, 2012
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston, JA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-02-12
Doc's Request.
09-06-13
AOR Received.
20-06-12
File Transfer...
04-10-12
Med's Request
20-06-12
Med's Done....
07-09-12
Passport Req..
March 4, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
March 20, 2014
LANDED..........
March 22, 2014
Well its a whole new week this week......they are calling my hubby tomorrow between 10 & 10:30!

We got 19 people from 2012 still waiting......4 of those are waiting for their PP returns! Turn up the noise this week Kingston! Let's go! I am not saying the 2013's don't need to be called either.....they are waiting too! Thought I would leave my morning message tonight since I still got a trainee this week so will be on and off this week again. But I am saying it loud and clear..........they are calling my hubby TOMORROW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Started shopping this week for the kids but it is hard because I called her mom and she can't even tell me what size her daughter is. Anyone have a clue what size an 11 year old tall and skinny girl would wear because I don't! LMAO Please help me if you can! Thank you!

oneandonly

Champion Member
Nov 9, 2012
Amen to that chickie I would go with a size extra small ladies for tops knowing she's tall maybe a size 1 jeans in ladies maybe others will let you know.

chickie72

VIP Member
Mar 12, 2012
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston, JA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-02-12
Doc's Request.
09-06-13
AOR Received.
20-06-12
File Transfer...
04-10-12
Med's Request
20-06-12
Med's Done....
07-09-12
Passport Req..
March 4, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
March 20, 2014
LANDED..........
March 22, 2014
oneandonly said:
Amen to that chickie I would go with a size extra small ladies for tops knowing she's tall maybe a size 1 jeans in ladies maybe others will let you know.
Thank you!

danielle902

Oct 6, 2011
Barrie Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sept 21st 2012
File Transfer...
Nov 2nd 2012
Med's Request
Nov 9th 2012
Med's Done....
July 24 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Dec 9 2012
LANDED..........
before xmas? maybe?
Happy Sunday everyone. Looking forward to all the calls tomorrow. This forum will be flooded!!!! :)

Saw this and had to share.
Sleep tight.

D

Those tv ads for various Jamaican all-inclusive hotels do a fabulous job of making Jamaica seem like an unspoiled island paradise where life is always slow and easy. Those of us who live here know better. Jamaica is a beautiful and unique corner of the earth but its not always the easiest place in which to live and you’ll need to know the “ins and outs” if you’re going to survive and maybe even prosper. So, if you’re determined to live here, or have no choice but to (because you’ve recently been deported, for example) here are some practical tips for living in Jamaica Land we Love:

1. If you see a line of more than 2 cars forming at a gas station, stop immediately. It means tanker drivers are on strike and if you don’t fill up now, chances are you’ll be walking to work for the next couple days.

2. You cannot survive without "links" – i.e. well placed contacts who can help you out from time to time. At the very least you should have a tax-office link, a bank link, a politician link, a lawyer link, a link dung ah wharf, a policeman link, a bad-man link (if your policeman link doesn’t work out) and a US Embassy link if your other links don’t work out and you need to flee the island. (n.b. sometimes your bad-man link and policeman link can be the same person)

3. Learn to give statements made by politicians the appropriate “believability weighting”:

Statements made by politician in power: 50% believability
Statements made by politician in power and shortly seeking re-election: 25% believability
Statements made by politician out of power for extended period and seeking re-election: 0% believability
Statements made by disgraced politician seeking to avoid imprisonment: -25% believability
4. Your utilities will fail at some point so you must have backup. If you can’t afford a 50 gallon water tank with a pump, you should at least have some big plastic drums on standby. You should also learn how to shower, brush your teeth and shampoo with one 8oz glass of water. Invest in a generator if you can, and if not, always have your flashlight and Home Sweet Home Lamp at the ready.

5. Never disrespect a policeman to his face. Ever.

6. Never race a taxi driver. Your car may be faster but he is definitely crazier.

7. You may want to keep at least a portion of your savings in US$. Over time devaluation may cause your J$ “nest egg” to shrink to the size of a marble.

8. Badmind is real. Learn to rise above it.

9. If a crime happens in front of you then make it known that you’re legally blind and saw nothing. However, if you’re determined to do your civic duty by testifying at the trial make sure you reach out to your bad-man link for protection.

10. Every gate and grill in Jamaica has a trick for opening it. You either have to pull it towards you, push it away from you, lift it up, push it down or jiggle it while pushing it. Experiment till you figure it out.

11. Never have intimate relations with a woman who has a jealous policeman or soldier in her past.

12. Develop a good sense of humor and an appreciation for the absurd.

13. Learn to respect Jamaican banking hours. 2:30pm means 2:30pm, not 2:30pm and 16 seconds. Security at the door has heard every possible story you can invent so saying “MY watch says its 2:29pm” will not get you anywhere. (This illustrates the need for a bank link, but note – a bank link is only good for about 3-5 mins after closing hours. After that, you’re on your own)

14. Everything is cheaper Downtown.

15. In the event of flood rains, random roadblocks/demonstrations and roads being dug up by the NWC please make sure you know at least 3 alternative routes to get from any given location in Kingston to another.

16. Invest in a vehicle with four wheel drive.

17. Develop a nose for trouble. Shots fired in the distance? Smoke rising on the horizon? Half naked man running past you with a crazed mob in hot pursuit? All these are sure signs of trouble. Take immediate action.

18. Other signs of trouble are all-too-frequent visits to the island from IMF representatives, a spiralling exchange rate and Government officials making ominous statements about the “need to make sacrifices". Steps should be taken. Arrangements should be made.

19. Learn to be patient and resilient. Trust in God.