+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Job offer and Closed WP(LMIA exempt, c20)

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi Everyone,

If anyone knows this answer, please reply.

I am also in the similar situation; my employer is willing to apply for a for a C20 closed work permit since my current PGWP is going to expire. What kind of documents do I need to submit for this process (on the EMPLOYEE side)? Anyone who has already got this WP, could you please share your experience?

I appreciate your response well in advance.

Warm regards,

Sahn
How are you eligible for a C20? Are you a post doc researcher, coach, fishing? What exchange programs do they have have with different organizations around the world?

Shan priya S

Jul 16, 2024
How are you eligible for a C20? Are you a post doc researcher, coach, fishing? What exchange programs do they have have with different organizations around the world?
I am into IT, and my company is into manufacturing business. Yes, they have offices all over the world

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I am into IT, and my company is into manufacturing business. Yes, they have offices all over the world
Have you even looked up C20? Being global doesn’t make them eligible for a C20? How are they eligible so they have exchanges with different companies around the world to show that their employees are being seconded to other companies? Or do they have agreements with other governments? Is this through IEC? This is not about inter company transfers. They need to file for a LMIA.

Shan priya S

Jul 16, 2024
I don't know.

When I asked my employer about my current WP expiration, my HR contacted with our Internal Immigration department and she came up with this solution -C20 WP. But, I know, previous Canadian employee is working in US office since 2 years, who is part of the IT.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I don't know.

When I asked my employer about my current WP expiration, my HR contacted with our Internal Immigration department and asked my willingness to C20 WP. But, I know, Canadian employees are working in US office now.
So that is an inter company transfer through CUSMA. Canadian employees working in the US office has nothing to do with C20. Are you a US citizen then? Have you read the C20 requirements. It applies to cultural agreements between country, sports teams and exchanges between companies (not inter company transfers). Company most like needs to file for a LMIA.

Shan priya S

Jul 16, 2024
So that is an inter company transfer through CUSMA. Canadian employees working in the US office has nothing to do with C20. Are you a US citizen then? Have you read the C20 requirements. It applies to cultural agreements between country, sports teams and exchanges between companies (not inter company transfers). Company most like needs to file for a LMIA.

Shan priya S

Jul 16, 2024
I just gave an example that one of my other team member moved to US from Canada office. I am not either Canada or US citizen. The only thing is my current PGWP is going to expire soon, and the answer I got from internal Immigration team is C20 closed work permit. I am not even sure about the requirements, since this suggestion was came from Immigration department

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I just gave an example that one of my other team member moved to US from Canada office. I am not either Canada or US citizen. The only thing is my current PGWP is going to expire soon, and the answer I got from internal Immigration team is C20 closed work permit. I am not even sure about the requirements, since this suggestion was came from Immigration department
So look a C20 and see if your job fits with current exchange program that your company has. What is your citizenship?

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/foreign-workers/exemption-codes/canadian-interests-reciprocal-employment-general-guidelines-r205-b-c20.html

Shan priya S

Jul 16, 2024
I am from India. My current designation is Business Analyst, Finance systems. Thanks for sharing the info, really appreciate that.

Shan priya S

Jul 16, 2024
Your company knows best so if they have done C20 permits in the past then they are the one’s who file. Once approved, you can file for closed work permit.
Sorry, first Employer have to apply for C20 permit, do I need to submit any documents from my end for this step?

and Secondly, once C20 permit is approved, then I have to apply for closed WP myself ? Employer is not responsible for that process right? Sorry if I am dumb here.

Could you please confirm me about these steps, appreciate your response. Thanks

Last edited:

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Sorry, first Employer have to apply for C20 permit, do I need to submit any documents from my end for this step?

and Secondly, once C20 permit is approved, then I have to apply for closed WP myself ? Employer is not responsible for that process right? Sorry if I am dumb here.

Could you please confirm me about these steps, appreciate your response. Thanks
Your employer does all the work for C20 until approved. Then you apply for closed work permit.