+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is it acceptable to apply to extend a Visitor TRV 1 week before visitor status expires?

Markiemarcos

Nov 1, 2017
Hi,

I am sponsoring my wife for Inland PRV.

My wife is here as a visitor (from South Africa) on her multiple entry TRV and arrived in Canada on October 5, 2018.

Nothing was stamped in her passport on arrival so we are assuming she can be here as a visitor for 6 months which would be until April 5, 2019.

Our Spousal PRV and OPW application package was returned because my wife failed to sign the personal declaration form by hand.

We resent the PRV and OWP application and Canada Post lists it as received by CIC on Feb 8, 2019.

We were initially hoping that we would get our AOR before her 6 months TRV visitor status is up but at this point it will probably be cutting it very close.

My question is:

Is it acceptable to wait for 2 more weeks to extend her visa online and hope we receive the AOR by then and if not apply to extend her stay on March 29, 2019 (1 week before her 6 months in Canada is up) or should we just apply to extend her stay immediately?

I know it says to apply for the extension at least 30 days before but I have read here that this is just a guideline recommendation and not a hard and fast rule. Is this correct?

We live only a 20 minute drive to the USA border but from what I have read Flagpoling is not recommended.

Thank you very much in advance for your advice.

Last edited:

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Hi,

I am sponsoring my wife for Inland PRV.

My wife is here as a visitor (from South Africa) on her multiple entry TRV and arrived in Canada on October 5, 2018.

Nothing was stamped in her passport on arrival so we are assuming she can be here as a visitor for 6 months which would be until April 5, 2019.

Our Spousal PRV and OPW application package was returned because my wife failed to sign the personal declaration form by hand.

We resent the PRV and OWP application and Canada Post lists it as received by CIC on Feb 8, 2019.

We were initially hoping that we would get our AOR before her 6 months TRV visitor status is up but at this point it will probably be cutting it very close.

My question is:

Is it acceptable to wait for 2 more weeks to extended her visa online and hope we receive the AOR by then and if not apply to extend her stay on March 29, 2019 (1 week before her 6 months in Canada is up) or should we just apply to extend her stay immediately?

I know it says to apply for the extension at least 30 days before but I have read here that this is just a guideline recommendation and not a hard and fast rule.

We live only a 20 minute drive to the USA border but from what I have read Flagpoling is not recommended.

Thank you very much in advance for your advice.
1. As you submitted an Inland spousal application with an Open Work Permit application, you don't have to send a request for a visitor's extension, as the submission of the OWP gives her implied status until a decision is made of the OWP.

Reactions: Markiemarcos

Markiemarcos

Nov 1, 2017
Hi

1. As you submitted an Inland spousal application with an Open Work Permit application, you don't have to send a request for a visitor's extension, as the submission of the OWP gives her implied status until a decision is made of the OWP.
Thank you very much for your response!

What I’m worried about is if our application gets returned again, she will then be out of status.

We checked and rechecked our application over so many times but in the end were shocked we miss-read the instructions regarding that one form we failed to sign so it’s a possibility.

Thank you once again!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You can wait until right before your visitor status expires to see if you get AOR. If you have't heard about AOR then you should extend visitor status just in case your application gets returned again.

Reactions: Markiemarcos

Markiemarcos

Nov 1, 2017
You can wait until right before your visitor status expires to see if you get AOR. If you have't heard about AOR then you should extend visitor status just in case your application gets returned again.
Thank you very much for your response! This is a big relief!