+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is eTA while Renouncing PR in progress possible?

Markiemarcos

Nov 1, 2017
Good day,

I am a British passport holder who didn’t meet my residency duration requirement to keep my PR as I had to leave for work in the UK.

I applied to renounce my PR a few weeks ago.

Is it possible to apply for a eTA while my PR Renunciation is in progress so I can visit friends in Canada, or do I have to wait until Renunciation is completed to do so?

I applied for eTA and it’s been processing for over 2 weeks, while my friends was approved almost instantly.

If I have to wait before my PR Renunciation is finalized, any idea of how long it will take to finalize the PR Renunciation?

Also, any idea if there will be CRA implications?

Thank you for your help?

forevermore76

May 19, 2024
Good day,

I am a British passport holder who didn’t meet my residency duration requirement to keep my PR as I had to leave for work in the UK.

I applied to renounce my PR a few weeks ago.

Is it possible to apply for a eTA while my PR Renunciation is in progress so I can visit friends in Canada, or do I have to wait until Renunciation is completed to do so?

I applied for eTA and it’s been processing for over 2 weeks, while my friends was approved almost instantly.

If I have to wait before my PR Renunciation is finalized, any idea of how long it will take to finalize the PR Renunciation?

Also, any idea if there will be CRA implications?

Thank you for your help?
Others can comment but PR renunciation is a lengthy process and can take anywhere from a few months to a year or more. Do you still have your PR Card? If so, they won't stop you from boarding the flight. Upon arrival in Canada, let them know your intent to renounce PR. Unless there's an A44, they will process your renunciation at POE.

Markiemarcos

Nov 1, 2017
Others can comment but PR renunciation is a lengthy process and can take anywhere from a few months to a year or more. Do you still have your PR Card? If so, they won't stop you from boarding the flight. Upon arrival in Canada, let them know your intent to renounce PR. Unless there's an A44, they will process your renunciation at POE.
Thank you so much for your advice! Would they allow me to board the flight even though my PR card has expired?

forevermore76

May 19, 2024
Thank you so much for your advice! Would they allow me to board the flight even though my PR card has expired?
Ah the expired card won't work, no. Guess if you really need to travel, your best bet is to fly to the states and enter Canada through a land border crossing.

forevermore76

May 19, 2024
Thank you soooo much for this! Sincerely appreciated!
Yah no sweat. If you do cross from the US, make sure to look up the processing hours at your desired crossing. I think they made some changes and only process immigration requests during certain hours. I know for a fact Quebec crossings actually ask you to book an appointment. Good luck.

Markiemarcos

Nov 1, 2017
Crossing from the US by land would be the last case scenario. Right now my itinerary is flying to Toronto (where I assume I would have to Renounce my PR) and then transferring planes to Vancouver, and my transfer time is limited. Frustrating.
Thank you again for your help!

yvnb1

Jul 11, 2024
I'm in a similar situation, except my PR was revoked in 2015 when I repatriated to Scotland. My issue is I applied for eTA to visit Canada next month but was told by Immigration that to get the eTA I had to renounce my PR (which I haven't had since 2015!). I've submitted the form to renounce the PR but from previous replies that'll take a long time to process. It sounds like renouncing PR is possible at port of entry but it doesn't solve the problem of not having eTA.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Crossing from the US by land would be the last case scenario. Right now my itinerary is flying to Toronto (where I assume I would have to Renounce my PR) and then transferring planes to Vancouver, and my transfer time is limited. Frustrating.
Thank you again for your help!
The trick is that you need the approved eTA to be allowed to board the plane to Canada.

Jul 16, 2024
good afternoon,

I hold a British Citizen passport . I applied for eta on the 10th of July and received an email instantly that I am not considered to hold a valid eta. My husband and daughter was approved immediately. I am so stressed as we are flying on the 23rd which is next week. On eta check status tool it says they have received my application and once reviewed they will contact me within 72 hours . I don't know what to do now , its been 5 working days and I have'nt heard anything back . Please any suggestions

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
good afternoon,

I hold a British Citizen passport . I applied for eta on the 10th of July and received an email instantly that I am not considered to hold a valid eta. My husband and daughter was approved immediately. I am so stressed as we are flying on the 23rd which is next week. On eta check status tool it says they have received my application and once reviewed they will contact me within 72 hours . I don't know what to do now , its been 5 working days and I have'nt heard anything back . Please any suggestions
Are your PR since posting under renouncing PR? So you received email to say not eligible. You hold UK passport.