+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

iOS App to Check ECAS Status in One Click

dbss

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
NSBoy902 said:
In a nutshell, where does this info stored? Locally or on a database server?
What is the authentication key used?

I would not use an app where the authentication is is based on simply txt file.
agree with you...another question that comes to my mind is if CIC is officially supporting this app..and how is the data transfer handled.. I know the creator of the post mentioned it uses https but that is only to encrypt the connection...does not tell us how the data is being fed to the CIC servers..

I would not want my personal information to be roaming around random servers...

forevercanada

Jul 3, 2013
dbss said:
agree with you...another question that comes to my mind is if CIC is officially supporting this app..and how is the data transfer handled.. I know the creator of the post mentioned it uses https but that is only to encrypt the connection...does not tell us how the data is being fed to the CIC servers..

I would not want my personal information to be roaming around random servers...
Hello dbss,

I have inquired with the publishers yesterday and got response this morning.

The app is not officially supported by CIC, and has no relationship with CIC.

The app pretty much simulates the actions that would otherwise be taken by an applicant to access ECAS status using a web browser. So in essence, the app stores your information locally on the iOS device, and makes the identical requests made by your web browser when you access ECAS. The only server that receives any user personal data is the CIC web server, which is the same server that provides the data when using ECAS. Absolutely no servers other than CIC's web server receive any user personal information. This is the big advantage of the app, the fact that the user's data stays on the iOS device at all times.

To summarize, using the app is identical to using ECAS, except the app remembers the user's information, does all the "filling" and "clicking" (behind the scenes, not visible when using the app) for you through all the pages you would otherwise fill and click on when using ECAS, then obtains the detailed status and displays it all in one step, which takes one click to accomplish.

The publishers are working on creating a video demo of the app, which will make it much easier to understand this process.

Thank you all for your interest and patience.

As a user of the app myself, I highly recommend it if you want to obtain ECAS status safely and securely in a couple of seconds rather than have to enter all the information over and over and spend a good amount of time navigating through several pages to obtain case status.

CanuckForEver

Feb 2, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi forevercanada,
I appreciate your entusiasm and gesture to share info on the new mobile app that enables us to check our citizenship processing status. I think you and many of us wanting to know our status in an easily accessible way is a fair demand. Just like how many service providers heed to those demands and provide services to the mobile communicty, I beleive the government (particularly ours) can also start addressing this section of users. But with this app I have many questions unanswered and really think CIC should step in to fulfill the gaps to provide better value to the paying customer.
forevercanada said:
The app is not officially supported by CIC, and has no relationship with CIC.
Personally that's a red flag for me, and I am sure it would be a concern for many other users too. How come CIC is expecting to step in successfully to the mobile world by having a third party in between. I know its not CIC that published this app and they don't care about the need to satisfy mobile users (like you particularly; if considered safe and secured count me in too, also many other users!), but the very reason they opened their servers for third party vendors to call proves their need to set foot in the mobile world!

forevercanada said:
To summarize, using the app is identical to using ECAS, except the app remembers the user's information, does all the "filling" and "clicking" (behind the scenes, not visible when using the app) for you through all the pages you would otherwise fill and click on when using ECAS, then obtains the detailed status and displays it all in one step, which takes one click to accomplish.
Even if people take this on its face value, it is still hard to believe how the vendors would debug a malfunction in the app reported by a paid user. The vendors would need to know what got passed and what got displayed. They will have to get it either from the user or the CIC, unless they also store it in their servers. CIC and most sensible users would not let it out to a third party vendor (although CIC I kind of doubt :p :D) A savvy software vendor would have the data for knowing what happens with their application that too when its not a freeware!

forevercanada said:
The publishers are working on creating a video demo of the app, which will make it much easier to understand this process.
That would be interesting! wanna see it how they address the security and validity of the product. In my opinion, they need to validate a complaint saying this is what you passed but you need to pass the fields like this blah, blah, blah, when a paid user reports them a bug. They need to do these kinds of support activities. Or on the off-chance they might say for the 2 bucks you pay don't expect support, you use this product at your own risk! There's a trade off between validity and security. In the first case validity takes over security, in the second case security is intact by itself as they don't offer any support.

forevercanada said:
As a user of the app myself, I highly recommend it if you want to obtain ECAS status safely and securely in a couple of seconds rather than have to enter all the information over and over and spend a good amount of time navigating through several pages to obtain case status.
Obtain ECAS info, I accept. Safely, securely not sure yet. Do they or CIC even give an assurance about people totally relying on this app. Now CIC is doing already a ****marvellous job ******* :eek: :eek: :eek: job in notifications sent through Canada post, this app is not even authoritative CIC app, now what happens if the app is caught up in say cache and hasn't changed the message with updated info or it simply would stop working? is it not possible that people might run into a 4 year delay on waiting for a judge's interview?
Im thinking CIC not taking the ownership on this app is bringing up a lot of misgivings!

OKK

Jun 22, 2013
CanuckForEver said:
Hi forevercanada,
I appreciate your entusiasm and gesture to share info on the new mobile app that enables us to check our citizenship processing status. I think you and many of us wanting to know our status in an easily accessible way is a fair demand. Just like how many service providers heed to those demands and provide services to the mobile communicty, I beleive the government (particularly ours) can also start addressing this section of users. But with this app I have many questions unanswered and really think CIC should step in to fulfill the gaps to provide better value to the paying customer.Personally that's a red flag for me, and I am sure it would be a concern for many other users too. How come CIC is expecting to step in successfully to the mobile world by having a third party in between. I know its not CIC that published this app and they don't care about the need to satisfy mobile users (like you particularly; if considered safe and secured count me in too, also many other users!), but the very reason they opened their servers for third party vendors to call proves their need to set foot in the mobile world!

Even if people take this on its face value, it is still hard to believe how the vendors would debug a malfunction in the app reported by a paid user. The vendors would need to know what got passed and what got displayed. They will have to get it either from the user or the CIC, unless they also store it in their servers. CIC and most sensible users would not let it out to a third party vendor (although CIC I kind of doubt :p :D) A savvy software vendor would have the data for knowing what happens with their application that too when its not a freeware!
That would be interesting! wanna see it how they address the security and validity of the product. In my opinion, they need to validate a complaint saying this is what you passed but you need to pass the fields like this blah, blah, blah, when a paid user reports them a bug. They need to do these kinds of support activities. Or on the off-chance they might say for the 2 bucks you pay don't expect support, you use this product at your own risk! There's a trade off between validity and security. In the first case validity takes over security, in the second case security is intact by itself as they don't offer any support.
Obtain ECAS info, I accept. Safely, securely not sure yet. Do they or CIC even give an assurance about people totally relying on this app. Now CIC is doing already a ****marvellous job ******* :eek: :eek: :eek: job in notifications sent through Canada post, this app is not even authoritative CIC app, now what happens if the app is caught up in say cache and hasn't changed the message with updated info or it simply would stop working? is it not possible that people might run into a 4 year delay on waiting for a judge's interview?
Im thinking CIC not taking the ownership on this app is bringing up a lot of misgivings!
Dude i am with you on this 100%.

andriy155

Star Member
Mar 3, 2009
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
What would have been nice is if this App were to check your status frequently and notify you via a push-message whenever something got posted to your account. The way it works right now it is pretty useless to me. It only saves me a couple of seconds of typing login info. I'd pay a dollar for a service that would notify me that an update has been posted though.

forevercanada

Jul 3, 2013
Hi CanuckForEver,

I am not sure I am following your post, but I will do my best to clarify based on my understanding of the product while testing it prior to its release.

CIC had no role whatsoever in developing the app, and did not grant the publishers any special access to their servers. The server accessed by the app is the same exact server you access when you go to CIC ECAS.

The app abstracts away some of the steps a user would have to take in order to obtain their status. it's that simple. It literally acts (behind the scenes) as if you were typing in all the data requested on the website (it does need this the first time, but not any time after), clicked on the appropriate links in the page, and got to the status page. The app then reads the status and formats it to fit on your iOS device screen, without all the other irrelevant information around it (images, other links, etc).

The motivation behind this app is that many users check their status frequently, and the app saves the information that you would otherwise enter every time, then bypasses (as in hides) the steps in which you have to click on the application status and other irrelevant pages before you get to the screen with the detailed status. This reduces the length of the process from a couple of minutes (or several minutes, based on each person's speed and typing) to a few seconds.

All is app does is make you more productive. It is not endorsed by CIC, doesn't obtain any additional information than what is shown on ECAS, and does absolutely nothing other than check your status and show it to you with a lot less effort.

Hope this answers your questions.

Again, the publishers mentioned in their email this morning that they are working on making a video demo so that folks can understand what this app actually does.

forevercanada

Jul 3, 2013
andriy155 said:
What would have been nice is if this App were to check your status frequently and notify you via a push-message whenever something got posted to your account. The way it works right now it is pretty useless to me. It only saves me a couple of seconds of typing login info. I'd pay a dollar for a service that would notify me that an update has been posted though.
Andriy155, you and I are on the same page. That was the first suggestion I made to the publishers when I started using the app. For me, it saves me a couple of minutes (maybe I am a slow typist, and also check more than one application) every time, but I completely agree that the app should check and send notifications if there is a change.

The publishers mentioned at the time I was helping with the testing that they are adding more and more features (including enhancements to the user interface to look more "sexy"), and a configurable interval for when the application should check again for a status change. I have no clue as when these enhancements will be made, but it certainly is on their todo-list.

Your feedback is very valuable, please let me know if you think of other things and I will relay it.

andriy155

Star Member
Mar 3, 2009
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
forevercanada said:
Andriy155, you and I are on the same page. That was the first suggestion I made to the publishers when I started using the app. For me, it saves me a couple of minutes (maybe I am a slow typist, and also check more than one application) every time, but I completely agree that the app should check and send notifications if there is a change.

The publishers mentioned at the time I was helping with the testing that they are adding more and more features (including enhancements to the user interface to look more "sexy"), and a configurable interval for when the application should check again for a status change. I have no clue as when these enhancements will be made, but it certainly is on their todo-list.

Your feedback is very valuable, please let me know if you think of other things and I will relay it.
sounds good!

forevercanada

Jul 3, 2013
Anyone else who has downloaded the app have any feedback? Thanks in advance.

The direct link is https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/cicappstatus/id654435465?ls=1&mt=8

forevercanada

Jul 3, 2013
For those interested in trying the app and providing feedback, I was able to obtain a few redemption codes from the publishers (app will not cost you anything as opposed to $1.99). If you would like to participate in trying the app and providing feedback, please PM me.

You will be able to keep the app after the trial period, but the publisher is relying on the honour system that you will post your feedback and experience.

I only have a few available so won't be able to provide a code to everybody.

Again, the link for the app is https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/cicappstatus/id654435465?ls=1&mt=8

forevercanada

Jul 3, 2013
The app publisher wanted me to give everyone an update about when the app will be updated in the app store to work with the new ECAS.

The app was modified last week to work with the new ECAS. However, Apple has been having some issues with their infrastructure after it was hacked during the 3rd week of July and therefore noone is able to republish updated versions of their apps. As soon as Apple restores their systems the publisher will submit the updated version of the app to the Apple store and the app will be working again.

I will post an update once I get one from the publisher.

YYZguy416

Star Member
Apr 29, 2013
If hackers can hack a prominent company like Apple, then they can also hack this ECAS app, which was probably developed by some person. Yet another reason, why I would not trust this app with my personal information. It is worth to spend a minute or two to enter in my information manually every time I check ecas, rather than risk my personal information.

forevercanada said:
The app publisher wanted me to give everyone an update about when the app will be updated in the app store to work with the new ECAS.

The app was modified last week to work with the new ECAS. However, Apple has been having some issues with their infrastructure after it was hacked during the 3rd week of July and therefore noone is able to republish updated versions of their apps. As soon as Apple restores their systems the publisher will submit the updated version of the app to the Apple store and the app will be working again.

I will post an update once I get one from the publisher.

forevercanada

Jul 3, 2013
Thank you for your comment. The app being hacked means your phone or iPad was hacked (there is nothing in the app that can be hacked as it acts as your browser with saved information on your iPhone or iPad).

With the amount of personal information stored on an iPhone and iPad nowadays (email accounts, banking info, etc), if your device is hacked the last of your concerns would be the information stored in this app. Just saying.

forevercanada

Jul 3, 2013
Hello everyone,

I received an email earlier from the publishers that version 2 of the app is now in the app store. Version 2 of the app works with the latest release of ECAS made in the end of July.

If you have already purchased the app you may update it now and access your ECAS the easy way again.

This would have been in the app store much earlier if Apple hadn't had their systems down for more than two weeks.