+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

INTERNATIONAL STUDENT TAKING SEMESTER OFF FOR FULL TIME WORK HELP HELP HELP HELP

EndeavourTru

Feb 22, 2017
Hi
I am an international student and started my academic study in january 2016.
I took summer 2016 off and started work from june 15 to september 5 full time.. including some overtime.
then i took fall 2016 and now i am doing spring 2017 semester. I Am planning to drop this summer 2017 semester too.. but this would be my last as i will study all semesters continuosly after that..
PLEASE HELP ME TO KNOW IF IT IS LEGAL AND ANY HELPFUL ADVICE WILLBE HIGHLY APPRECIATED.
thanks

Reactions: Shayoran preet

Wonderland_1010

Champion Member
Aug 24, 2015
Regina, SK
Category........
PNP
EndeavourTru said:
Hi
I am an international student and started my academic study in january 2016.
I took summer 2016 off and started work from june 15 to september 5 full time.. including some overtime.
then i took fall 2016 and now i am doing spring 2017 semester. I Am planning to drop this summer 2017 semester too.. but this would be my last as i will study all semesters continuosly after that..
PLEASE HELP ME TO KNOW IF IT IS LEGAL AND ANY HELPFUL ADVICE WILLBE HIGHLY APPRECIATED.
thanks
You have violated your study permit regulations as you're supposed to be a full time student and only work 20 hrs per week and 40 hrs during school break. Are you still in the same school? Also be prepared for CIC to raise questions about your work when you apply for your PGWP.

EndeavourTru

Feb 22, 2017
Yeah i am in the same school but i got visa for 4 years but my study is only 2 years long.
Whats the next thing i should do??

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
There's nothing you can do - the damage is done. You violated the terms of your study permit in 2016 and engaged in illegal work. It's possible CIC may no longer see your study permit as being valid since you failed to attend the 2016 fall semester. You can apply for a PGWP after you complete your studies however you should expect it to be refused. Hopefully you weren't planning on trying to qualify for PR. It's going to be a great deal more difficult now without a PGWP.

varunnarayan

Jun 15, 2015
Chennai
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
27-0
First of all,Your English is all over the place. From what I've understood ,

You've been studying Fall 2016 and Winter 2017 but working Summer 2016 and going to work Summer 2017. If I've got that right , You don't have a problem .

As long as you're a full time student during Fall/Winter terms , CIC will be satisfied with your status. You are then entitled to work full time during summer irrespective of the classes you take during summer .

Reactions: KabirMoho

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
varunnarayan said:
First of all,Your English is all over the place. From what I've understood ,

You've been studying Fall 2016 and Winter 2017 but working Summer 2016 and going to work Summer 2017. If I've got that right , You don't have a problem .

As long as you're a full time student during Fall/Winter terms , CIC will be satisfied with your status. You are then entitled to work full time during summer irrespective of the classes you take during summer .
I agree that the OP has not expressed the situation very well but reading it sounds as though the OP has taken voluntary time off and not planned breaks which would have allowed full time work. Dropping out a for semester is not the same as a scheduled break regardless if returning to the same course so full time work would not be appropriate. Maybe we are all reading the situation incorrectly so is up to the OP to state case in clearer words.

EndeavourTru

Feb 22, 2017
Hi sorry about my english
Clearly stating my situation below
I have student visa of almost 3 and half years whereas my course is only 2 years long.
I started jy course in jan 2016 then dropped summer 2016 for full time work. I took fall 2016 and now i am doing spring 2017. I am planning to drop summer 2016 for full time work and then continue with my studies.
Thanks

Wonderland_1010

Champion Member
Aug 24, 2015
Regina, SK
Category........
PNP
EndeavourTru said:
I have student visa of almost 3 and half years whereas my course is only 2 years long.
I started jy course in jan 2016 then dropped summer 2016 for full time work. I took fall 2016 and now i am doing spring 2017. I am planning to drop summer 2016 for full time work and then continue with my studies.
Thanks
Do you have scheduled breaks for your program during the summer? Because you are only allowed to work full time during scheduled breaks.

J5M

Champion Member
May 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

EndeavourTru said:
Thanks

Don't count upto 3 and 1/2 years. Your study permit will automatically expire the moment you will finish course + 90 days.

MauritiusS

Feb 1, 2017
App. Filed.......
Feb 2020
AOR Received.
Jan 2021
You already dropped 1 summer and it's wrong. So my advise is don't repeat the same mistake again this summer. Complete your programme and if you are in financial difficulties (which am assuming maybe one reason you planning to drop again), try some cash jobs (not saying it's legal or not, but it's common).

varunnarayan

Jun 15, 2015
Chennai
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
27-0
You can drop summer if it is a scheduled break from your university. Most Universities consider summer to be a scheduled break.I'm an undergraduate student and I don't have to study during summer which makes it a scheduled break. Talk to your advisor. I don't think you're in any trouble .

EndeavourTru

Feb 22, 2017
varunnarayan said:
You can drop summer if it is a scheduled break from your university. Most Universities consider summer to be a scheduled break.I'm an undergraduate student and I don't have to study during summer which makes it a scheduled break. Talk to your advisor. I don't think you're in any trouble .
Varun i talked with the intl advisor they said that you can take semester off.....only fall and spring is mandatory abut summer is optional..
Any comments?
Thanks

Reactions: jerrymsigwa

varunnarayan

Jun 15, 2015
Chennai
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
27-0
That is exactly what I said. Most universities consider summer to be a scheduled break

Advice Spring is literally summer here in Canada. It's fall/Winter .

philus

Oct 14, 2016
also note that for phd programs some breaks dont count as break. check your international student office