+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

International Student points CIC should scrap FSWP stream

fatani

Nov 15, 2015
I think if they plan to give higher number of points to international students and to those have connections like siblings etc. They should scrap out FSW category from their immigration policy. Because if they give 100 points for canadian education and 100 points additional for french then there will be no chance for FSW candidates. So I think better to scrap it out totally. Or make FSW, FST a seperate stream and have their seperate draws and CEC a seperate stream. Like 1000 ITAs will be given from FST,FSW and 1000 from CEC. Otherwise FSW stream will remain for formality only.

fatani

Nov 15, 2015
I think the bonus points distribution should be like

They give 120 points for bachelors without spouse (foreign country)
So with it 10 bonus points if it was in canada. So make it 130 total if its a canadian bachelors.

And 15 for masters. And if both bachelors and masters are in canada then maximum 20 points.

So there should be maximum 30 bonus points.

10 for canadian bachelors (if only bachelors) have been done.
15 for canadian masters (if only masters) have been done.
20 if both bachelors and masters have been done from canada.
20 if only PHD have been done.
25 max if bachelors masters and PHD all done from canada.
And additional 5 points for siblings in canada.

hi_canada

Star Member
Nov 8, 2016
@Fatani,
I think you have given very less marks to siblings. As per my knowledge, the additional points to siblings meant 600 points which was a mandate by PM to Immigration minister. At that time, there was no mentioning of points to other categories, but slowly and gradually International students and francophone came into picture as the express entry was to be reformed for siblings. You can google "mandate letter by Canadian PM to Immigration minister". And the additional points means 600 as per CRS calculator, and extra point can be anything.

Elrud

Jun 9, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hi_canada said:
@Fatani,
I think you have given very less marks to siblings. As per my knowledge, the additional points to siblings meant 600 points which was a mandate by PM to Immigration minister. At that time, there was no mentioning of points to other categories, but slowly and gradually International students and francophone came into picture as the express entry was to be reformed for siblings. You can google "mandate letter by Canadian PM to Immigration minister". And the additional points means 600 as per CRS calculator, and extra point can be anything.
Totally agreed.

There's no need to separate CEC and FSW and the view that not all international students are hardworking and not deserve PR is irrelevant.

It has been clearly mentioned on Refocusing Express Entry slide that bonus points will be awarded for Canadian education. Obviously you need to get your Canadian qualification, inferring you are hardworking in order to be awarded bonus points and thus PR.

Further getting Canadian education and French does not mean it concerns CEC. Those FSW can have French and those with only Canadian education but foreign work experience will be eligible under FSW straightaway after graduation.

So this means that some who have Canadian education will be eligible under CEC and others under only FSW; the same applies for French. Canadian education does not automatically mean CEC!

Elrud

Jun 9, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It is likely that those with siblings and French will get high bonus points as they want these people to get picked up.

Their mandate was to reform Express Entry in order give bonus points for siblings and they would have attract Francophone anyway as they failed to meet their target.

kryt0n

VIP Member
Sep 30, 2014
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
16-03-2017
Passport Req..
11-07-2017
I'm still confused why international students should get more points.

I could have done my education in Canada if it wasn't for the cost. You're essentially BUYING the extra points.

Elrud

Jun 9, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kryt0n said:

I could have done my education in Canada if it wasn't for the cost. You're essentially BUYING the extra points.
Then you would say why they are presently being given more points for Canadian work experience. In New Zealand, you get bonus points for having studied in the country. In UK, all qualifications around the world are recognized and people get exempted for education and work experience. In Canada, this is not the case; that's why they decided to give bonus points because of credential issue.

Elrud

Jun 9, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Many immigrants with foreign qualifications cannot apply for jobs in their occupation once they landed in Canada. They need to requalify which takes time, especially in regulated profession.

That's why they want those with Canadian qualification who can start applying for jobs/start their initial career once landed/getting PR.

Elrud

Jun 9, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
fatani said:
I think the bonus points distribution should be like

They give 120 points for bachelors without spouse (foreign country)
So with it 10 bonus points if it was in canada. So make it 130 total if its a canadian bachelors.

And 15 for masters. And if both bachelors and masters are in canada then maximum 20 points.

So there should be maximum 30 bonus points.

10 for canadian bachelors (if only bachelors) have been done.
15 for canadian masters (if only masters) have been done.
20 if both bachelors and masters have been done from canada.
20 if only PHD have been done.
25 max if bachelors masters and PHD all done from canada.
And additional 5 points for siblings in canada.
These points will not be enough and the same issue will persist.

It might be the same amount of bonus points applicants presently get for Canadian work experience. It would be fair this way.

fatani

Nov 15, 2015
hi_canada said:
@Fatani,
Are you in your senses or not? 600 points for siblings. I think you should use some logic if they will give this lot of points then all of them who has siblings will immigrate even if he/she is 50-60-70 yrs of age which will burden canadian economy.

fatani

Nov 15, 2015
kryt0n said:

Totally agreed with you Kryt0n I think it does not make sense. International students went there because they needed canadian education not canada invited them. As per the conditions of student visa every student is suppose to leave when his/her study finishes. So how intl student can whine canadian govt dont have any obligations on them. How they can say that only we studied in Canada we should become perminant resident. Giving points for canadian exp is okay because a person has contributed to economy paid taxes but only for studies its not fair.

hi_canada

Star Member
Nov 8, 2016
@Fatani,
Just wait and see. The siblings would be given more than 200 points, I guess, and 30 - 50 points to international students. Still you will have international students 10 times more than siblings.

fatani

Nov 15, 2015
Elrud said:
Then you would say why they are presently being given more points for Canadian work experience. In New Zealand, you get bonus points for having studied in the country. In UK, all qualifications around the world are recognized and people get exempted for education and work experience. In Canada, this is not the case; that's why they decided to give bonus points because of credential issue.
Newzealand is newzealand not canada. If they have this system its their choice and newzealand have this system from the start. If canada is going to change it like nzl then the system now is wrong or the system they will change to will be wrong. Thats why I said scrap the FSW category make only 3 categories PNP, CEC, International students. Because now a person with no canadian connection will not stand a chance.

fatani

Nov 15, 2015
hi_canada said:
@Fatani,
Just wait and see. The siblings would be given more than 200 points, I guess, and 30 - 50 points to international students. Still you will have international students 10 times more than siblings.
If they will give this many points then they should make it a seprate stream with some kind of CAP. Otherwise all of old age will move to canada.

Elrud

Jun 9, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
fatani said:
Newzealand is newzealand not canada. If they have this system its their choice and newzealand have this system from the start. If canada is going to change it like nzl then the system now is wrong or the system they will change to will be wrong. Thats why I said scrap the FSW category make only 3 categories PNP, CEC, International students. Because now a person with no canadian connection will not stand a chance.
Wrong; Express Entry was copied from the Oceania region. FSWP applicants will still stand a chance without connection if they have French, Canadian education but with only foreign work experience which allows them to apply straightaway after graduation or with high language test scores.