+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Inland vs Outland Common law sponsorship.

AngieG

Nov 5, 2015
Hi all,
I am so glad to come across with this forum. It's been really helpful. I should say I'm impressed by all these knowledgeable people, plus with experiences, willing to help others!

So, I have a couple questions if someone could give some advice on that I'll extremely be appreciate!

I've been working on Common law sponsorship INLAND documents so far and I'm almost done. Just need to organize them all. (Thanks to this forum for amazing helps!)
However, I figured I can actually apply for OUTLAND even though I'm residing in Canada with my sponsor(my common law partner; Canadian Citizen).

So, here is my situation.
I've been in Canada since April, 2010 with legal status the whole time. I came here with a student visa and then extended my student visa to do my 2 years of college, then I got 3 years of Post graduate work permit (Open work permit). This Post graduate open work permit will expire next year, June 2016. I am currently working for a permanent part time position and would love to keep working while I'm waiting for my PR.

With the new Pilot program for Open work permit, I'm eligible to apply and hopefully it will be processed before my current work permit expires. (So, I've got about 6months left with the current work permit.)
But then again, this pilot program is only for INLAND applicants which I understand, however, I'll have to wait for the PR process for .. pretty much like forever-!
My concern on that is, I know you can only get 4 years maximum of work permit(correct me if I'm wrong please), does this count my 3 years of Post graduate work permit too? Then, I'll only be eligible for 1 year of Open work permit anyways, and if my PR doesn't get processed in a year (DUH), I'll end up with no status after that 1 year of open work permit expires till I get my PR.
But on the bright side, Inland application with applying for Open work permit under the pilot program sounds "safe" to me in my situation other than taking long time to get PR and 1year of no status(in case 4years maximum of work permit thing if I'm correct). Also, the downside about possible 1 year of no status is delaying our wedding since we're planning to have our wedding both in Canada and Korea in the next 2years. If I can't leave the country, it'll make things harder..

However, I understand if I apply for OUTLAND application, it'll be much more faster but I won't be able to get any open work permit. (again, about the OWP for Outland applicants-correct me if I'm wrong please.)
BUT, IF Outland application gets processed before my open work permit expires(June 5th, 2016), everything will just be fine. I can work(extremely important that I can make income too at this stage of our life planning on wedding together), I'll have legal status without any gap. But, Outland application in my situation sounds a little bit risky to me, just in case processing time in visa office takes longer than expected.

Also, which visa office my application would go if I do OUTLAND in Canada..? I know I need to send everything to Mississauga, Ontario, Canada first, then it'll go to visa office. In my case, is it Ottawa or Manila(because I'm Korean)?
Which one do you think it's the best way for me to apply my PR in this situation, Inland or Outland?

I sincerely appreciate all the helps and your precious time.
I hope everyone gets what they need/want!

Thanks

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
I would apply outland, since South Koreans can enter Canada without a visa. This means you can travel if you want to.
Your application would probably be processed in Manila, but this is not for sure.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Considering you've been here with valid status for 5 years now, there's a good chance CIC will process the app in Ottawa. However this decision is entirely up to CIC. You can write a letter though in your outland app on preference of visa office and your reasons, and CIC may or may not consider it.

Both choices have pros and cons, With the OUTLAND app you can come and go from Canada with no worries and overall process will be quicker, but I would still budget around 1 year in total to get the PR approved (may be quicker or slower). So realistically I wouldn't expect an outland app to be completed before your PGWP expires next June, and I would plan for a period of approx 5 months (again could be more or less) or so when you will just be here as a visitor so won't be able to work.

With the INLAND app you will get an OWP, but as you know it's a minimum 2 years until your PR is approved. Even after you get your OWP it's recommended not to travel, although in reality being visa-exempt and with an OWP in hand there is very little chance you'll have problems re-entering Canada if you did decide to travel for a couple weeks. I have a few Korean friends that traveled to and from Korea/Canada during their inland process, and none had any issues (of course all situations and entries to Canada are unique).

Whether you apply inland or outland should really come down to how badly you need to continue working after June, and if you are willing to gamble your app will be one of the quicker ones through Ottawa/Manila if you apply outland.

AngieG

Nov 5, 2015
THANK YOU SO MUCH, I mean it.

Do you have any idea how long the OWP will be? Is it 2years?
My PGWP was for 3years if that matters..
and if that new OWP expires before my PR is approved, is there any way I can extend that? - this might be too further of a question since this is still a pilot program.
Just knowing how long OWP will be for would be a big help too.

Also, It might not be the right question but do you know if I can go on EI with visitor status?

and one more question was about the form of application, I mean, can I put all the papers in paper protector sheets and put them in a binder?

thank you in advance again!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
AngieG said:
Do you have any idea how long the OWP will be? Is it 2years?
My PGWP was for 3years if that matters..
and if that new OWP expires before my PR is approved, is there any way I can extend that? - this might be too further of a question since this is still a pilot program.
Just knowing how long OWP will be for would be a big help too.

Also, It might not be the right question but do you know if I can go on EI with visitor status?

and one more question was about the form of application, I mean, can I put all the papers in paper protector sheets and put them in a binder?
OWP can be valid for 1-2 years. No one can tell you for sure how long it will be granted for.

Doesn't matter how long your PGWP is valid for.

The OWP can be extended until you get PR.

Requirements for claiming EI: you " are ready, willing, and capable of working each day; and are actively looking for work (you must keep a written record of employers you contact, including when you contacted them)". As a visitor, you cannot meet those requirements.

The application needs to be loose, no binders.

AngieG

Nov 5, 2015
Thank you so much, I really appreciate it!

I kinda thought I saw somewhere that you can get maximum 4 years of work permit in a row something like that, that's why I was wondering if PGWP matters at all for how long OWP will be for.. (anybody knows?)

But that you very much for your answer. It absolutely gives us more direction between Inland and Outland considering our circumstances.

Thank you for taking your time to answer, it's a great big help for us!

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
AngieG said:
Thank you so much, I really appreciate it!

I kinda thought I saw somewhere that you can get maximum 4 years of work permit in a row something like that, that's why I was wondering if PGWP matters at all for how long OWP will be for.. (anybody knows?)

But that you very much for your answer. It absolutely gives us more direction between Inland and Outland considering our circumstances.

Thank you for taking your time to answer, it's a great big help for us!
The OWP with Inland PR app, has nothing to do with your PGWP. I would go under the assumption that OWP would be valid for as long as you are waiting for your inland PR to be approved, so if it expires during the process you should be able to renew it. The whole point of the pilot program is to ensure the applicant can work during the time they are waiting in Canada for their PR.

fruitball4u

Star Member
Dec 6, 2014
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-05-2015
Doc's Request.
23-11-2015
AOR Received.
23-06-2015
File Transfer...
31-07-2015
Med's Done....
20-04-2015
Interview........
DM: 21-12-2015
VISA ISSUED...
COPR: 17-12-2015
LANDED..........
03-01-2016
AngieG said:
As someone else mentioned, it is mandatory that everything is loose (CIC officials have to photocopy everything and want the least amount of work possible for themselves). What I did (and what many others do) is used a HUGE binder clip to clip each section together (all paperwork for the sponsor, all paperwork for the person being sponsored, all supporting documents for sponsor, all supporting documents for person being sponsored). Then in each of those subgroups, I used paper clips to hold each section together (each IMM form and any supporting documents) and smaller binder clips for any major sections (where there were lots of papers being clipped together). THEN, I went through and used those little sticky side post its and labelled where each IMM form started down the side of the application, so they could easily find everything. I then put each major section (all paperwork for the sponsor, all paperwork for the person being sponsored, all supporting documents for sponsor, all supporting documents for person being sponsored) in a separate manilla envelope, with each one labelled with exactly what documents were in it and with both of our names on them. My "supporting documents" portion was too thick for a manilla envelope so I used a clear folder that had straps that you can wrap around it to keep everything inside) I left the document checklist on the very top, and then put everything in order of the document checklist in a large expanding folder (think those brown legal accordion folders). I labelled the outside with both of our names, and the class that we were applying through (Outland Common Law Sponsorship).

Hope that helps a bit. It seems overwhelming, but once you get going and start organizing things, it is pretty easy and self explanatory.

AngieG

Nov 5, 2015
Thank you all for the kind answers, please know that the time you took for a stranger is actually a huge help for someone!

I see where I'm going with it more clearly as I get hear all of you.

This will be the last possible question that I can think of, if anybody has an idea.
So, if we get married while we're waiting on my PR to be approved, do I need to send more evidence related to marriage and does it effect processing time at all?
Or I don't need to do anything and just keep waiting?

Thank you very much!!!

fruitball4u

Star Member
Dec 6, 2014
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-05-2015
Doc's Request.
23-11-2015
AOR Received.
23-06-2015
File Transfer...
31-07-2015
Med's Done....
20-04-2015
Interview........
DM: 21-12-2015
VISA ISSUED...
COPR: 17-12-2015
LANDED..........
03-01-2016
AngieG said:
Thank you all for the kind answers, please know that the time you took for a stranger is actually a huge help for someone!

I see where I'm going with it more clearly as I get hear all of you.

This will be the last possible question that I can think of, if anybody has an idea.
So, if we get married while we're waiting on my PR to be approved, do I need to send more evidence related to marriage and does it effect processing time at all?
Or I don't need to do anything and just keep waiting?

Thank you very much!!!
Yes, you will need to update your status if anything changes between filing and receiving PR. Once you file, CIC will give you instructions on who and how to message any changes to things like marriage status, address, etc. It is very important that you notify them of anything that has changed - not doing so could result in having your application denied.

Woona

Sep 5, 2015
Boisbriand, Québec, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-10-2014
AOR Received.
03-12-2014
VISA ISSUED...
Soon!
LANDED..........
Soon!
Honestly... it depends on which visa office is treating your demand for the second step... I've been through the INLAND application in about 10 months. Yes, 10 months, everything was done and my husband just got his PR on October 20th. If you are looking to the delay from the office that will take care of your file for the second step, it can takes forever too. With the new government taking place and everything, a lot of things can change in so short time.

I would do it inland instead of outland... but if you are doing it outland, you have the advantage to leave the country anytime you want. If you do it Inland, well... you have the advantage to have an implicite status during the process of your application. But in your case, since you already had a work permit, ... I don't really know what kind of visa you could have to keep your legal status here, since you have to keep your legal status during the process of your Outland application, ... thing that you don't need to do if you do it Inland, because you actually don't need a legal status in Canada to sponsor someone Inland.

Well... I will wish you luck with everything and I will keep an eye on your processing times. :)

Good luck

AngieG

Nov 5, 2015
Thank you very much!
We decided to go for INLAND application with OWP under the pilot program so I can keep working while we wait for my PR to be approved.
As long as I can keep working and we keep having stable double income, we can do the waiting game after all! But sure, the faster, the better ;D

Thank you all for the help and the kindness!