+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

INLAND spousal sponsorship application withdrawl

Oct 4, 2014
What happens after you receive a notification letter from CIC informing you that your file has been closed because your sponsor withdrew his sponsorship application?

Here's my story:
I came to Canada on a visitor's visa three years ago and continually extended my stay to help an aunt of mine that was ill. During this time I met a "seemingly" decent, lovable man and we fell for each other. We shared the common goals of going back to school, getting our careers on track and starting a family so as you imagine we moved in together and got married. Everything seemed fine until a few months ago when my money ran out. Where did I get money you might ask...I had a great profession in my home country so I migrated with quite a bit of savings and my family DIDN'T hesitate to ensure I was financially stable at all times. That being said I'm the kind of person that believes each partner should contribute to the growth and happiness of the union and therefore stupidly made him aware of my savings. He was seasonally employed at the time so I volunteered to cover all wedding related expenses, paid the bills and only recently paid for a diploma course while awaiting my open work permit...that will never come. I have exhausted all my savings and he's now deserted me and halted the sponsorship process. He has exploited me financially and I'm now left to fend for myself...over $20,000 cash just gone in the blink of an eye. Had the processing time been the 6-8 months that was expected perhaps none of this would have happened (it's been 12 months since our application was received by CIC).

Then again, I should have seen it coming but like many I was blindfolded by what seemed to be that stupid thing called love. A few months ago he threatened to go on Welfare and ruin everything if I didn't give him money. I took the form away and obliged with hopes that he would come around once I was able to work and travel as he hoped but of course that was not enough. It soon became a habit and as expected I started running low on cash. Once I wasn't able to give anymore he started neglecting me as I had feared. Now, after months of belittling me because I chose to go to college instead of allowing him to impregnate me and become a stay at home mom he just decided to cancel everything without my knowledge. He's gone weeks without speaking to me, he doesn't answer my calls, he doesn't respond to my messages. I now have absolutely no means of contacting him. I'm just screwed! I'm currently staying at a family friend but I don't know how long it'll be before I've overstayed my welcome. My family cut off all ties when I decided to move in with him because of religious differences so I can't go back there. I'm confused, depressed, disappointed and lost.

Does anyone know what happens next?
Any advice would be appreciated at this time, please and thanks in advance.

truesmile

Champion Member
Jun 7, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
MNL
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-05-2012
AOR Received.
18-07-2012
File Transfer...
24-07-2012
Med's Done....
18-05-2012
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
05-12-2012
VISA ISSUED...
08-01-2013
LANDED..........
02-02-2013
Assuming getting back together is out of the question . . . After one year of separation one of you, or both can file for divorce.

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
What's your status now? Are you able to renew your visitor visa (if it has expired)? You may need to seek some legal advice (hopefully you can find a lawyer willing to give a free consultaiton).

Are you able to speak to/live with your aunt? This is where you swallow your ego/muster courage and call your family for help. They may be more receptive now that you are not with him. Otherwise, what will you do when you run out of money totally? As a visitor, you can't access welfare.

Search google for free legal aid in your community. They can guide you on how to file for spousal support from your husband. Normally, it goes to a Judge who decides the amount. If he does not pay it, they will simply garnish the said amount from any money he makes or receives.

If getting back together is out of the question... and you can proof he was cruel to you, you may be able to get a divorce sooner than 1 year. Otherwise, it will be as truesmile mentioned.

Hope it all works out well.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Unfortunately he doesn't require your approval or consent to cancel the spousal sponsorship application. As the sponsor, he is perfectly within his rights to cancel if he wishes to.

If you want to remain in Canada, you should start exploring alternate options that will allow you to do so (e.g. finding an employer and getting a work permit).

Awesomeg

Mar 2, 2014
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb. 13/2014
Doc's Request.
24-07-2014
AOR Received.
19-03-2014
Med's Done....
27-01-2014....Remeds 13-03-15
Interview........
"Waived" In Process August 19-2014
Passport Req..
July 24-2014.
VISA ISSUED...
DM after almost 15 months of waiting, April 20/15
LANDED..........
15-05-2015 Finally... together...
Emotionallydistraught said:
What happens after you receive a notification letter from CIC informing you that your file has been closed because your sponsor withdrew his sponsorship application?

Here's my story:
I came to Canada on a visitor's visa three years ago and continually extended my stay to help an aunt of mine that was ill. During this time I met a "seemingly" decent, lovable man and we fell for each other. We shared the common goals of going back to school, getting our careers on track and starting a family so as you imagine we moved in together and got married. Everything seemed fine until a few months ago when my money ran out. Where did I get money you might ask...I had a great profession in my home country so I migrated with quite a bit of savings and my family DIDN'T hesitate to ensure I was financially stable at all times. That being said I'm the kind of person that believes each partner should contribute to the growth and happiness of the union and therefore stupidly made him aware of my savings. He was seasonally employed at the time so I volunteered to cover all wedding related expenses, paid the bills and only recently paid for a diploma course while awaiting my open work permit...that will never come. I have exhausted all my savings and he's now deserted me and halted the sponsorship process. He has exploited me financially and I'm now left to fend for myself...over $20,000 cash just gone in the blink of an eye. Had the processing time been the 6-8 months that was expected perhaps none of this would have happened (it's been 12 months since our application was received by CIC).

Then again, I should have seen it coming but like many I was blindfolded by what seemed to be that stupid thing called love. A few months ago he threatened to go on Welfare and ruin everything if I didn't give him money. I took the form away and obliged with hopes that he would come around once I was able to work and travel as he hoped but of course that was not enough. It soon became a habit and as expected I started running low on cash. Once I wasn't able to give anymore he started neglecting me as I had feared. Now, after months of belittling me because I chose to go to college instead of allowing him to impregnate me and become a stay at home mom he just decided to cancel everything without my knowledge. He's gone weeks without speaking to me, he doesn't answer my calls, he doesn't respond to my messages. I now have absolutely no means of contacting him. I'm just screwed! I'm currently staying at a family friend but I don't know how long it'll be before I've overstayed my welcome. My family cut off all ties when I decided to move in with him because of religious differences so I can't go back there. I'm confused, depressed, disappointed and lost.

Does anyone know what happens next?
Any advice would be appreciated at this time, please and thanks in advance.

Yours is a very sad story, I am sorry for you.... Be strong, you will be OK,
Talk to your parents and explain what happened and that you are not anymore with him,
now you can see that your parents had real reason when they didn't like him...
Your relation with him is over,
After one year of separation you can get the divorce,
you can ask for spousal support, that is in your legal rights... and he has to comply...

at least you will recover some money from all what you wasted in the relation....

As far as your application for residence, its over....
Nothing can be done about it....

Sorry, Be strong.... and talk to your parents, and as for forgiveness.....
they will forgive you....

God loves you, (and your parents also)

Oct 4, 2014
I sincerely appreciate your suggestions. Thank you! I will seek legal advice regarding the matter bright and early tomorrow morning.

To answer your question in relation to my current status Senoritabella, that I'm unsure of. I didn't extend my visitor's visa once we got married and commenced the spousal application status since I was granted implied status but now that this has happened I don't know where I stand. CIC didn't ask me to leave but I assume it's just a matter of time before they do.
As for seeking spousal support I'm not sure he'll comply. He's always threatened to tell immigration that I paid him to marry him and promised to have me deported if I ever got him entangled with the law. I'm just scared. Also, I can't get a hold of him now to discuss what has happened so how will I get him to show up in court? He works out of town and didn't really have a "home" before we started dating so I have a gut feeling he's back to living off the radar.
In all honesty, I don't even want to see him ever again. He has exploited me enough and I'm scared. I would much rather the opportunity to work and help myself. As I mentioned above I funded my own diploma (in the medical field) and am still in college. God forbid this is ruining my focus but I have been doing exceptionally well and I vow to continue. Afterall, I have only 3 weeks left.
As for the reference to welfare, I really don't need handouts. Welfare hasn't even crossed my mind. I don't intend to be a burden to the system. I would be happy if I could be granted an open work permit so I can be employed in my field of study and start my life all over again.
But how will I get a job letter? I'm not sure a Doctor would want to get involved in this saga :-(

This whole process is emotionally draining.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I sincerely appreciate your suggestions. Thank you! I will seek legal advice regarding the matter bright and early tomorrow morning.

To answer your question in relation to my current status Senoritabella, that I'm unsure of. I didn't extend my visitor's visa once we got married and commenced the spousal application status since I was granted implied status but now that this has happened I don't know where I stand. CIC didn't ask me to leave but I assume it's just a matter of time before they do.
As for seeking spousal support I'm not sure he'll comply. He's always threatened to tell immigration that I paid him to marry him and promised to have me deported if I ever got him entangled with the law. I'm just scared. Also, I can't get a hold of him now to discuss what has happened so how will I get him to show up in court? He works out of town and didn't really have a "home" before we started dating so I have a gut feeling he's back to living off the radar.
In all honesty, I don't even want to see him ever again. He has exploited me enough and I'm scared. I would much rather the opportunity to work and help myself. As I mentioned above I funded my own diploma (in the medical field) and am still in college. God forbid this is ruining my focus but I have been doing exceptionally well and I vow to continue. Afterall, I have only 3 weeks left.
As for the reference to welfare, I really don't need handouts. Welfare hasn't even crossed my mind. I don't intend to be a burden to the system. I would be happy if I could be granted an open work permit so I can be employed in my field of study and start my life all over again.
But how will I get a job letter? I'm not sure a Doctor would want to get involved in this saga :-(

This whole process is emotionally draining.
Since you did not extend your previous visitor status, you never had implied status, as an Inland application alone does not give a person implied status. You are now in Canada without status. If your Inland application were to continue to be processed, you would likely be ok (from a CBSA perspective), but without that, you may be asked to leave (or could be removed from) Canada.

Good luck!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Based on the information you have provided you no longer qualify for an open work permit (the possibility of getting an open work permit was attached to the inland spousal application). To get a closed work permit, you'll first have to find an employer in Canada who is willing to give you a job offer. That employer will then have to obtain an approved LMIA. Once the LMIA is approved, you will then be able to apply for a closed work permit tied to that specific employer.

Oct 4, 2014
Thank you for your input but I'm not sure if what you've stated is indeed true. That is not what we were told upon submitting the application and the information on CIC website points in the direction of implied status upon receipt of any application be it for extensions, work permit, sponsorship etc.
Thank you regardless.

As I mentioned, I'll be meeting with a lawyer tomorrow to explore my options. Had I not lost my way because of what seemed to be love I certainly would not be in this position right now. Sometimes it's best to just remain single and hold on to your independence. I made an honest mistake and I'll have to suffer the consequences.
It just hurts.

Oct 4, 2014
scylla said:
Based on the information you have provided you no longer qualify for an open work permit (the possibility of getting an open work permit was attached to the inland spousal application). To get a closed work permit, you'll first have to find an employer in Canada who is willing to give you a job offer. That employer will then have to obtain an approved LMIA. Once the LMIA is approved, you will then be able to apply for a closed work permit tied to that specific employer.

That seems like my best option Scylla. There's just the question as to whether a Doctor would be willing to vouch for me. It's just a sad position to be in.
Thank you for your thoughts on the matter. A little uplifting.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
That seems like my best option Scylla. There's just the question as to whether a Doctor would be willing to vouch for me. It's just a sad position to be in.
Thank you for your thoughts on the matter. A little uplifting.
Sorry - I have no idea what you mean by "a doctor would be willing to vouch for me". I don't understand what this has to do with the work permit.

Oct 4, 2014
Scylla...Forgive me, I'll paraphrase for clarity. I was simply wondering if a Doctor would be willing to offer me employment (ie. a job letter) considering I would have only just graduated and therefore lack experience.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Scylla...Forgive me, I'll paraphrase for clarity. I was simply wondering if a Doctor would be willing to offer me employment (ie. a job letter) considering I would have only just graduated and therefore lack experience.
Ah - OK - now it makes sense.

Just so you're aware, a job letter isn't enough to secure a work permit. Your employer will also have to advertise the job for at least a month to prove that no Canadian could be hired for the role. They will then have to submit an application for something called an LMIA which gives them approval to hire a foreign worker. They will have to pay a $1K fee when submitting the application. Processing for the LMIA application can take anywhere from 6 to 16+ weeks. Once the LMIA is approved, you then qualify to apply for a work permit.

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
Is your diploma program less than 6 months in duration? If yes, then you do not need a study permit. Otherwise, a study permit is required for courses that are over 6 months. Studying without authorization is also grounds to be asked to leave Canada.

Immigration allows a grace period of 90-days after expiration of your status, during which you can apply for restoration of your status. Has it been over 90 days since your visitor status expired?

a) If yes, then even if an employer obtains a LMIA for you, you can no longer apply for immigration services within Canada. You will have to apply for your work permit from outside Canada. That will entail going to apply in your home country or check if you can mail the application to a visa office in the US. If this is possible and you are called for an interview, you will have to find a way to go to the US and there is a risk of being denied entry into Canada since you will have overstayed your visa.

b) If not, then if an employer can get you the LMIA before the 90-day period is over, you can apply for restoration of your status ($200) and a new work permit ($125 or $150). Both applications must be submitted together.

You may want to make note of these points and ask the lawyer tomorrow.

Oct 4, 2014
Thanks again guys. I appreciate your insight.

The course is indeed less than 6 months SenoritaBella, I knew it was illegal to study for a longer duration without a study permit. Also, I'm afraid my 90 day grace period has long elapsed since CIC received my application in December of 2013. It's been 11 months to be exact. Dunno where I stand at all.
I tried to reach the man I call my husband today through an acquaintance of his but he claims he hasn't seen him in months. I'm so torn.
I have made notes and will seek the lawyer's advice tomorrow.
Thanks again. I'll keep you posted.
Thanks wholeheartedly.