+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Inland or Outland Sponsorship

candi7777

Aug 3, 2018
I'm an American citizen who married a Canadian Citizen. We met online. We married 2.5 years ago, I have been extending my stay to remain in Canada under the temporary resident status, as a visitor.

I prefer to do outland sponsorship. We haven't had a child and I am not on the lease agreement, but do have a cellular phone and joint bank account. So I have to give further evidence of the relationship which isn't hard, but my sponsor didn't visit (I visited Canada 7 times prior), so I have to present other information.

If I was stating that I live in Canada, I'd have to give proof of my temporary status but doesn't ask for it if I put outside Canada. I'd have to give them proof of lease agreement, utilities (we don't have) or other bills. So I have to give more information with Outland. I visited 7 times prior to our marriage. But my spouse didn't visit me because he was trying to keep his job and where as, I was just a waitress and could have found another job that way. So with him not visiting, I have to give other evidence..

I want to do outland, but if I'm here during the waiting period, my temporary resident status just needs to be maintained? right?

Is there an advantage of the Inland???

sylvain1

Champion Member
Nov 2, 2016
Quebec
Visa Office......
Montreal
App. Filed.......
12-08-2015
AOR Received.
07-11-2015
Med's Request
07-12-2016
Med's Done....
21-12-2016
LANDED..........
26-05-2017
I'm an American citizen who married a Canadian Citizen. We met online. We married 2.5 years ago, I have been extending my stay to remain in Canada under the temporary resident status, as a visitor.

I prefer to do outland sponsorship. We haven't had a child and I am not on the lease agreement, but do have a cellular phone and joint bank account. So I have to give further evidence of the relationship which isn't hard, but my sponsor didn't visit (I visited Canada 7 times prior), so I have to present other information.

If I was stating that I live in Canada, I'd have to give proof of my temporary status but doesn't ask for it if I put outside Canada. I'd have to give them proof of lease agreement, utilities (we don't have) or other bills. So I have to give more information with Outland. I visited 7 times prior to our marriage. But my spouse didn't visit me because he was trying to keep his job and where as, I was just a waitress and could have found another job that way. So with him not visiting, I have to give other evidence..

I want to do outland, but if I'm here during the waiting period, my temporary resident status just needs to be maintained? right?

Is there an advantage of the Inland???
The advantage of an inland application would be that you could apply for an OWP. This would maintain your status in Canada and also allow you to work (if this is something you would like). The sponsorship application in itself, whether inland or outland, doesn't grant you any status, so you would need to apply for extension to maintain your status in Canada. The OWP application is not available for outland applicants. However, the total processing time might still be a bit faster for outland (especially for US citizens).

KBH

Champion Member
Sep 13, 2017
Toronto, ON
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
August 2nd, 2017
AOR Received.
September 22nd, 2017
File Transfer...
October 7th, 2017
Passport Req..
December 29th, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
January 23rd, 2018
LANDED..........
Feb 1st, 2018
To be clear, the proof you need to provide for an outland and inland application is exactly the same. You can apply outland while in Canada.

It sounds like you're trying to decide whether to be honest about where you've living on your application. If you have been living in Canada with your spouse, you must be honest about that. You can't "pretend" to be living in the US so that you don't have to provide the proof of cohabitation etc.

candi7777

Aug 3, 2018
To be clear, the proof you need to provide for an outland and inland application is exactly the same. You can apply outland while in Canada.

It sounds like you're trying to decide whether to be honest about where you've living on your application. If you have been living in Canada with your spouse, you must be honest about that. You can't "pretend" to be living in the US so that you don't have to provide the proof of cohabitation etc.
It's not about, not being honest, it's how do you fill out the form to show, living in Canada and applying from outside... without screwing that up. it's confusing, because it doesn't have boxes that say "are you living in but applying outside"... If someone knows how to do that, then great

The 2/2018 form, section 6, you have a choice of Spouse living outside, spouse living outside. But the checklist askes specifically: Page 2/10 section 5.. Class of Application.. it has a box to check.. I am currently living in Canada with my sponsor under spouse
also I am currently living outside Canada and I am applying under the family class
also I am currently living in Canada and am applying under the family class (not spouse)
So... do you see what I mean, if I'm applying outside from in...how do I show it

sylvain1

Champion Member
Nov 2, 2016
Quebec
Visa Office......
Montreal
App. Filed.......
12-08-2015
AOR Received.
07-11-2015
Med's Request
07-12-2016
Med's Done....
21-12-2016
LANDED..........
26-05-2017
It's not about, not being honest, it's how do you fill out the form to show, living in Canada and applying from outside... without screwing that up. it's confusing, because it doesn't have boxes that say "are you living in but applying outside"... If someone knows how to do that, then great

The 2/2018 form, section 6, you have a choice of Spouse living outside, spouse living outside. But the checklist askes specifically: Page 2/10 section 5.. Class of Application.. it has a box to check.. I am currently living in Canada with my sponsor under spouse
also I am currently living outside Canada and I am applying under the family class
also I am currently living in Canada and am applying under the family class (not spouse)
So... do you see what I mean, if I'm applying outside from in...how do I show it
Family class refers to what used to be called outland. You can apply as Outland (family class) even if you reside in Canada currently, this is still spousal sponsorship. So it's really up to you, inland or outland are both available for you.

Here is a copy/paste from ircc website and highlighted in red what could correspond to your situation.

Choose the class of application
  • If you’re sponsoring your conjugal partner or dependent child, you must submit an application under the Family Class. These applications are processed outside Canada.
  • If you’re sponsoring your spouse or common-law partner, you may sponsor them under the Family Class or under the Spouse or Common-Law Partner in Canada Class.
  • When you sponsor a spouse or common-law partner, you must specify the “Class of Application” on the checklist you’ll submit as the covering page for your application package.
Apply under the Family Class if:

• the person you want to sponsor lives outside Canada
  • the person you want to sponsor currently lives with you in Canada but doesn’t plan to stay in Canada while the application is being processed
  • you plan to appeal if the application is refused
  • you’re sponsoring your conjugal partner or dependent child
Apply under the Spouse or Common-Law Partner in Canada Class if your spouse or common-law partner:

• lives with you in Canada
  • has valid immigration status in Canada
  • would like to apply for, and qualifies for, an Open Work Permit so that they can work while the application is being processed

candi7777

Aug 3, 2018
Family class refers to what used to be called outland. You can apply as Outland (family class) even if you reside in Canada currently, this is still spousal sponsorship. So it's really up to you, inland or outland are both available for you.

Here is a copy/paste from ircc website and highlighted in red what could correspond to your situation.

• If you’re sponsoring your conjugal partner or dependent child, you must submit an application under the Family Class. These applications are processed outside Canada.
  • If you’re sponsoring your spouse or common-law partner, you may sponsor them under the Family Class or under the Spouse or Common-Law Partner in Canada Class.
  • When you sponsor a spouse or common-law partner, you must specify the “Class of Application” on the checklist you’ll submit as the covering page for your application package.

• the person you want to sponsor currently lives with you in Canada but doesn’t plan to stay in Canada while the application is being processed
Apply under the Spouse or Common-Law Partner in Canada Class if your spouse or common-law partner:

• would like to apply for, and qualifies for, an Open Work Permit so that they can work while the application is being processed
Thank you SOOOO much!! LOL, my brain is hurting....I've been looking everywhere for this!!!

Reactions: sylvain1

candi7777

Aug 3, 2018

So if I choose to apply outward (family class while in Canada) my sponsor's form 1344 (2/2018)

The choices are
Spouse Living in Canada
Spouse Living outside Canada
other relative

On the check off list IMM 5533 (06/2018)
options
...I am currently living outside Canada and I am applying under the family class
...I am currently living in Canada and I am applying under the family class (not under spouse or common law partner in Canada. It says that I understand that I may be conoked to attend an interview at a visa office outside Canada

So On form 1344, (If I am wanting to do it from outside Canada) my husband would choose Spouse living in Canada
and on the check off list I would choose the second choice... Correct??

sylvain1

Champion Member
Nov 2, 2016
Quebec
Visa Office......
Montreal
App. Filed.......
12-08-2015
AOR Received.
07-11-2015
Med's Request
07-12-2016
Med's Done....
21-12-2016
LANDED..........
26-05-2017
So if I choose to apply outward (family class while in Canada) my sponsor's form 1344 (2/2018)

The choices are
Spouse Living in Canada
Spouse Living outside Canada
other relative

On the check off list IMM 5533 (06/2018)
options
...I am currently living outside Canada and I am applying under the family class
...I am currently living in Canada and I am applying under the family class (not under spouse or common law partner in Canada. It says that I understand that I may be conoked to attend an interview at a visa office outside Canada

So On form 1344, (If I am wanting to do it from outside Canada) my husband would choose Spouse living in Canada
and on the check off list I would choose the second choice... Correct??
I'm with my cell phone so not very convenient to download forms and we did inland application, so I'm not the best to tell you exactly how to fill these forms. I just know it's definitely possible. Hopefully, someone with this specific knowledge will answer you more adequately.

candi7777

Aug 3, 2018
I'm with my cell phone so not very convenient to download forms and we did inland application, so I'm not the best to tell you exactly how to fill these forms. I just know it's definitely possible. Hopefully, someone with this specific knowledge will answer you more adequately.

thank you

IPreferCats

Nov 30, 2017
If you do want to apply inland (for the OWP), you don't need joint utilities to prove you live with your husband. I'm going to use a photo ID with our address as well as mailed bank statements.

candi7777

Aug 3, 2018
If you do want to apply inland (for the OWP), you don't need joint utilities to prove you live with your husband. I'm going to use a photo ID with our address as well as mailed bank statements.
I finally figured it all out and corrected thank goodness. We have cell phone, bank account and now the lease agreement (getting with the landlady soon).

Reactions: IPreferCats
Jan 31, 2020
Respected experts!

I have applied for spouse sponsorship under family sponsorship program. I Mistakenly selected wrong program in document checklist. I checked "I am currently living in Canada, and I am applying under the Family Class" instead of "I am currently living outside Canada, and I am applying under the Family Class". I just get to know this mistake.

I applied online and I already got updated COPR detail in my tracking account. Did anyone gone through the same mistake? Can someone please guide me, do I need to inform them about it?

Thanks in advance

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Respected experts!

I have applied for spouse sponsorship under family sponsorship program. I Mistakenly selected wrong program in document checklist. I checked "I am currently living in Canada, and I am applying under the Family Class" instead of "I am currently living outside Canada, and I am applying under the Family Class". I just get to know this mistake.

I applied online and I already got updated COPR detail in my tracking account. Did anyone gone through the same mistake? Can someone please guide me, do I need to inform them about it?

Thanks in advance
Are you a PR? If so, you cannot sponsor your spouse from abroad.