+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Inland or Outland? Advice

Jun 18, 2024
Hi, I am getting married to my Fiance early July. She is from New York State and I live in Niagara, Ontario Canada. We met on a Christian dating app and have been together for 1.5 years. We see each other almost every week, have vacationed together, have met families...etc. We are evidently and undoubtedly in a genuine relationship.

We have had some assessments with immigration lawyers, and everyone says different things. So I will explain our situation and am looking for guidance.

I (Canadian) want to sponsor my fiance (american once we are married). We could apply for Inland or Outland, it just depends on what is best. We are not so concerned about final PR times, but the option for my fiance to be able to work faster. She could stay in the country for the entire period so we could do inland, but she also could go home to visit, but it is not entirely necessary.

We have been told she can apply inland for outland sponsorship and could apply for an OWP once she has AOR, but we've heard conflicting opinions on this from lawyers.

We also are not sure what to do if she comes to Canada, applies for inland, and has to leave after 6 months as a visitor. Can we extend that time?

We get married in under 3 weeks and need help!

Edmegbc

Star Member
Oct 11, 2023
She can apply inland and apply for OWP once she has AOR - I dont know what conflicting information you would receive that has been policy for some time.
She can also apply outland if you are not living together once you are married, once she has AOR come to canada and then applyl for OWP (maximises time in the US while processing = more earned income for her if thats an issue)
Once you apply inland, you shouldnt leave canada, if she applies outland, she can come and go as she pleases (well with the usual screening CBSA does when she visits you, always a chance of entry refusal for non canadians) once you do get aor from an outland and she is in canada she should also remain

exactly what me and my husbad have done but we are from UK, applied outland moved back to canada and he applied OWP in april. no peep on that application and there is no standard processing time for this new public policy
you dont need a lawyer - waste of money for straightforward US/Canadian application.

Reactions: armoured