+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Inland : leave country, then get visa or re-apply outland (Mexico VO)

oxolodo

Mar 1, 2019
Hi all! First post. This forum is awesome.

---QUICK QUESTIONS
1. If getting a TRV (from Peru) was not a problem before, would being married make it any more difficult to get?
2. Is there a huge delay if we want to cancel an inland application to switch to outland?
3. It seems like the Mexico VO was very slow before, but is now about 12 months process time, same as inland application? Can someone confirm?

---COMPLICATED PLAN (answered! but further advise is welcome)
I just started to plan the immigration of my peruvian wife-to-be. Big constraint: She wants to go back to Peru for about 4 months soon, before being "stuck" here during the process. She also needs to re-apply for a TRV since her passport is expiring soon.

We are trying to figure out the best way to apply, and when we should get married to avoid any problem. What do you guys think about Plan C?

Plan A (safe) : Wait until she's ready to spend a whole year here (in about 4 months). Then, get married and apply inland.

Plan B (not ideal) : Get married now and apply outland = no OWT = we'll be separated during most of the process.

Plan C (C for cocky?) :
a) Get married now and apply inland
b) She leaves to Peru for a few months
c) She applies for a new TRV while in Peru (something that wouldn't be a problem if it wasn't for the spouse or pending application status)
d) She comes back before OWT is delivered.
- If granted entry, she's "safe", we saved a lot of time.
- If refused (why would that happen?), we go back to plan A or B (possible?), and haven't lost much?

I know everybody suggest not to leave while on inland application, but what is it that would bother immigration when she comes back? There are conflicting information : She'll need to prove that we are well into the process and she has every intention to stay in Canada, or at the contrary that she has a lot of ties to her country and plan to leave at the end of her TRV? Even if she is refused, in our case we don't lose much, since Plan A would have us waiting 4 months anyway... right?

Thanks a lot for those who read the whole thing!

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Plan C is a no-go from the start. One of the very basic requirements of the inland process is that the sponsor and applicant live together in Canada. Leaving for four months means she doesn't meet the basic requirements to qualify. It also likely won't be a fast refusal - IRCC tends to drag things out for many months with evidence requests and then time to review the evidence - and you'll end up wasting more time than it would have taken to do things by the book. Always best not to try to cheat the system when it comes to immigration - it has a way of catching up with people in ways they regret later. Go with A or B.

oxolodo

Mar 1, 2019
I guess I kind of knew it but needed some confirmation. Thank you!!

The first questions are still unanswered, if somebody knows...

oxolodo

Mar 1, 2019
If someone reads this... After some research, my own answers are:
1) Definitely yes: Being married to a canadian makes it much harder to get a TRV.
2) I also considered beginning with outland, than switching to inland when she comes back here, to keep all options open. But I figured it's best not to think about switching because it will be more complicated and we'll lose money.
3) Looking at the few cases in the recent spreadsheet, it seems outland application by Mexico VO takes about a year indeed
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1WXmKcCOlbciwCa33-vKs8LqbKxOIar2PzSN7j4xBxEg/edit#gid=2079961909

We will probably go with plan A. Also, from all the cases i've read on this forum, it seems that it's never a problem when people leave for 1-2 weeks during their inland application (after getting OWT). We will consider it (to plan a wedding ceremony next year in Peru).