+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Information need for EI

deepika saini

Apr 29, 2018
Hi All,

I have recently moved to Canada on work permit and joined a firm on January first week. Before completing three months i have been temporarily laid off cause of COVID -19 and i am on EI now. I wanted to apply for PR after one year and for that we need one year full time job, since am on EI does my hours count while being on EI?

Also, my employer may keep me on pay roll if i will stay close to my office and suppose if my employer lay off me again..will I be eligible for EI again?

Looking forward for response.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi All,

I have recently moved to Canada on work permit and joined a firm on January first week. Before completing three months i have been temporarily laid off cause of COVID -19 and i am on EI now. I wanted to apply for PR after one year and for that we need one year full time job, since am on EI does my hours count while being on EI?

Also, my employer may keep me on pay roll if i will stay close to my office and suppose if my employer lay off me again..will I be eligible for EI again?

no hours on EI don’t count. Have you checked to see if you qualify for EI in your province?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
3 months work will not necessarily qualify you for EI. Depends on work hours per week and the province you live in,

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Hi All,

You need anywhere from 420-700 insurable hours contingent where you are in the country
420 hrs = highest unemployment rate
700 hrs. = lowest unemployment rate

deepika saini

Apr 29, 2018
3 months work will not necessarily qualify you for EI. Depends on work hours per week and the province you live in,
Thanks for reply. Due to Covid 19 my EI has been approved. However, if i will start working on pay roll and my employer put me on lay off again..will i be able to apply for EI again?
Also, my husband is in India. Can I apply for his open work permit right now? Is it recommended?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks for reply. Due to Covid 19 my EI has been approved. However, if i will start working on pay roll and my employer put me on lay off again..will i be able to apply for EI again?
Also, my husband is in India. Can I apply for his open work permit right now? Is it recommended?
You would need to requalify for EI. You don’t qualify to sponsor your spouse for SOWP since you aren’t working.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
No, not according to the rules . Once you apply and use EI, you’ve used up your hours in the preceding qualifying period for that claim
Are you on EI or CERB ?