+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Information: Living expenses in Toronto/Canada

jinal parmar

Star Member
Jan 10, 2012
Hii
your post is really very helpful. I would like to ask you some question regarding toronto. Some of my friends are staying in regina, they completed their PG in toronto & migrated to regina for getting PR.

Right now i am about to complete my M.com & applying for one year PG program. My friends suggested me to take admission in REGINA only. There is scarcity of jobs in toronto. I consultant many migration experts every one pushing me for toronto & no one is helping me to get into regina :(

Is it worth taking admission in toronto ?? I am so confused... Its my biggest dream...

account77

Star Member
Oct 28, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
GS_Stud said:
Think about your course first, and then Uni or college. Google for college and look for publicly funded colleges or Uni.

GS
Thanks for the info :)

GS_Stud

Apr 6, 2011
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jinal parmar said:
Hii

Right now i am about to complete my M.com & applying for one year PG program. My friends suggested me to take admission in REGINA only. There is scarcity of jobs in toronto. I consultant many migration experts every one pushing me for toronto & no one is helping me to get into regina :(

Is it worth taking admission in toronto ?? I am so confused... Its my biggest dream...
Quality of public colleges/Universities across Canada is similar (and not drastic like in India). Of course, some college are better than others.

Finding job is a combination of destiny + hard work + previous Education + Skills + Economic situation. Some people land a job in 2 weeks in Toronto and some people have to wait for 2 years. It all... depends.

My advise: make you decision based on your academic interest and/or Uni/college and not on the place. If you love what you are studying then you will definitely find something suitable to your skills after you graduate and will not regret later.

GS

jinal parmar

Star Member
Jan 10, 2012
:) thank u so much GS. It ll help me taking a decision. As you are already there you can definitely give right information to me.

I was working with bajaj capital for almost 8 month & i have experience in the field of finance. Being a commerce student i have knowledge on management, marketing etc. Till date my academic career is first class.

I am looking for one year pg diploma in international business management or marketing.

Unfortunately i could not do well in the IELTS & I scored overall band 6.
in listening 6.5,reading 6,writing 6,speaking 6.

will i be able to get admission in this band score or should i re appear.

Regards
jinal

vaishnavgowni

Oct 27, 2011
Calgary
GS_Stud said:
All,

I'm an International student from New Delhi who received a lot of information from this forum when I was applying for my visa/College. I got admission, then Visa and am currently in Canada doing my pg studies.

I will be providing some information that might be useful for you guys. Starting with living cost in Canada.

Of course, it really depends upon individual to individual and some areas are expensive than others. I will be providing data for Toronto since I'm here for past 6 months.

Let's categorise the major expense in groups:
Rent [250-600]
Transportation [100]
Food [150-300]
Entertainment [0-150]
Phone: 55

Total Monthly Expense [550-1100]

RENT
This is what I've seen in the area:
Single room in a house (Sharing Kitchen, personal bathroom): 600-750/month
Single room in a house (Sharing Kitchen, Sharing bathroom): 500-550 [Can also find small room as low as 450]
Basement: 700-800 [2 people can easily stay]
College/University Hostel: usually around 800/month. Have to give 8 month rent in advance. For some college you also have to buy a meal plan. Room is very small, and bathroom is shared. Usually no kitchen and only microwave and a fridge is provided.
1 BHK : about 800-900 (3 people can easily stay, even 4 can be managed]
Rent Conditions: You have to sign a 1 year contract [Can't leave accommodation before 1 year but can sublet]. Two months notice period. First and last required (two month rent in first go, then monthly rent)

Transportation
Car: Forget about car. car is cheap (can even buy in just 3000) but insurance is costly (usually 400/month, yes!)
Cab: usually $8-10/km
Public Transport: Excellent service, very comfortable: Subway or Streetcar (Tram) or Buses. Monthly pass of $99 for students, 120 for general public.

Food
Grocery is cheap and you get all Indian stuff here, even maggy. I once saw a prestige 5 L cooker in Walmart in just 35 bucks (dollars), a price similar to Indian market price. Eating out is very expensive, usually 7-10 times expensive than cooking yourself.

For example, you can cook pasta at home and the grocery/oil cost etc would be less than $1 [may be just 40-50 cents]. One single time pasta in college cafeteria would be $6-$8. Try to learn cooking before you arrive. This will save hundreds of dollars a month for you.

If you cook regularly at home, and eat out occasionally, then you are estimating about 150-200 a month.

Entertainment
Movies {English, and even Hindi/Punjabi} DVD is available free in Toronto Public Library. Library membership is free. You can rent upto 50 book.DVD at a time.

Movies in hall: $10

Clubbing: Not as expensive as they are in India. Sometimes the entry is free, sometimes 5 or 10 bucks. For special events and in Desi club, the entry is 20. A beer (350 ml) is 6 inside a club (outside it is 2).

Museum: Entry fees differs and is in range between 6 to 28. However, you can get free museum pass in Library on Saturday @ 9 am.

Phone: No contract. Own handset. Base plan 25 (free Toronto/GTA calling) + 20 (Unlimited India calling} + 5 (Unlimited Internet on phone) + tax ~ 55/month

Depending upon your lifestyle, you can assume monthly living expenses from a mere 550 to as high as 1100. major saving point: shared accommodation and cooking at home.

Stay hungry, stay foolish and keep trying. Best of luck to you all for your admission and visa.

GS
Awesome post dude !! so you say that doing part time is difficult while studying ? I'm not financially strong, I got an admit from Humber in wireless and telecommunication course. a 1 Year course :)

GS_Stud

Apr 6, 2011
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes,

Working part time is a bit difficult. It really depends upon the area you live in.

GS

Dav1d0

Star Member
Mar 9, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
@GS-Stud so which area are more preferable when considering part time work?

Cheers

Oct 8, 2012
GS_Stud said:
All,

I'm an International student from New Delhi who received a lot of information from this forum when I was applying for my visa/College. I got admission, then Visa and am currently in Canada doing my pg studies.

I will be providing some information that might be useful for you guys. Starting with living cost in Canada.

Of course, it really depends upon individual to individual and some areas are expensive than others. I will be providing data for Toronto since I'm here for past 6 months.

Let's categorise the major expense in groups:
Rent [250-600]
Transportation [100]
Food [150-300]
Entertainment [0-150]
Phone: 55

Total Monthly Expense [550-1100]

RENT
This is what I've seen in the area:
Single room in a house (Sharing Kitchen, personal bathroom): 600-750/month
Single room in a house (Sharing Kitchen, Sharing bathroom): 500-550 [Can also find small room as low as 450]
Basement: 700-800 [2 people can easily stay]
College/University Hostel: usually around 800/month. Have to give 8 month rent in advance. For some college you also have to buy a meal plan. Room is very small, and bathroom is shared. Usually no kitchen and only microwave and a fridge is provided.
1 BHK : about 800-900 (3 people can easily stay, even 4 can be managed]
Rent Conditions: You have to sign a 1 year contract [Can't leave accommodation before 1 year but can sublet]. Two months notice period. First and last required (two month rent in first go, then monthly rent)

Transportation
Car: Forget about car. car is cheap (can even buy in just 3000) but insurance is costly (usually 400/month, yes!)
Cab: usually $8-10/km
Public Transport: Excellent service, very comfortable: Subway or Streetcar (Tram) or Buses. Monthly pass of $99 for students, 120 for general public.

Food
Grocery is cheap and you get all Indian stuff here, even maggy. I once saw a prestige 5 L cooker in Walmart in just 35 bucks (dollars), a price similar to Indian market price. Eating out is very expensive, usually 7-10 times expensive than cooking yourself.

For example, you can cook pasta at home and the grocery/oil cost etc would be less than $1 [may be just 40-50 cents]. One single time pasta in college cafeteria would be $6-$8. Try to learn cooking before you arrive. This will save hundreds of dollars a month for you.

If you cook regularly at home, and eat out occasionally, then you are estimating about 150-200 a month.

Entertainment
Movies {English, and even Hindi/Punjabi} DVD is available free in Toronto Public Library. Library membership is free. You can rent upto 50 book.DVD at a time.

Movies in hall: $10

Clubbing: Not as expensive as they are in India. Sometimes the entry is free, sometimes 5 or 10 bucks. For special events and in Desi club, the entry is 20. A beer (350 ml) is 6 inside a club (outside it is 2).

Museum: Entry fees differs and is in range between 6 to 28. However, you can get free museum pass in Library on Saturday @ 9 am.

Phone: No contract. Own handset. Base plan 25 (free Toronto/GTA calling) + 20 (Unlimited India calling} + 5 (Unlimited Internet on phone) + tax ~ 55/month

Depending upon your lifestyle, you can assume monthly living expenses from a mere 550 to as high as 1100. major saving point: shared accommodation and cooking at home.

Stay hungry, stay foolish and keep trying. Best of luck to you all for your admission and visa.

GS

Adhora_R

Oct 30, 2012
Hi,

GS_STUD,

I've posted one of my queries. Could you please reply me if possible.

Thanks in Advance

Adhora_R