+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Information: Living expenses in Toronto/Canada

rockford

Star Member
Jan 8, 2012
I had created a new post for my query but now noticed this post which is relevant to my question. First of all, thanks a lot for all the valuable information.
Here's my question: I'm going for a 2 year program (ending in April'2014) at Sheridan Davis campus. I'm not financially strong and could only arrange living expenses for 1 year. The tuition fee will be covered by education loan but I can't arrange more funds for living expenses in the 2nd year. Will it be too much of a risk to depend on part time jobs in the 2nd year?

chaitnay7777

Star Member
Nov 2, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ur post was very informative bro.as u are living there u will know better which college is better george brown or conestoga ,as conestoga is in waterloo so job opportunities are better as compared to torronto????

vimalind

Aug 2, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
GS_Stud said:
Yes,

Working part time is a bit difficult. It really depends upon the area you live in.

GS
Very informative... thanks a lot ;)

but working in part time and earning money.. will it affect our regular studies... in the sense most of them working part time and studying na.. not only in CANADA ... most of the countries....

ashwanineomed

Dec 30, 2012
i was thinking to apply for humber college(toronto) for global business mgmt, i have a work ex. of little over 2 and half years aftr my graduation(currently working as a marketing comm. manager in small pharma firm), i am thinking to apply under spp, do you think gap year would cause problem?
if i work part time wat cn i expect in terms of pay ( how much i cn yearn) ? is it realistic to yearn 1000 dollars(part time along with the course) based on my background (BBA +work ex.)
pls suggest sir

baigameerali

Star Member
Jan 30, 2013
GS_Stud said:
All,

I'm an International student from New Delhi who received a lot of information from this forum when I was applying for my visa/College. I got admission, then Visa and am currently in Canada doing my pg studies.

I will be providing some information that might be useful for you guys. Starting with living cost in Canada.

Of course, it really depends upon individual to individual and some areas are expensive than others. I will be providing data for Toronto since I'm here for past 6 months.

Let's categorise the major expense in groups:
Rent [250-600]
Transportation [100]
Food [150-300]
Entertainment [0-150]
Phone: 55

Total Monthly Expense [550-1100]

RENT
This is what I've seen in the area:
Single room in a house (Sharing Kitchen, personal bathroom): 600-750/month
Single room in a house (Sharing Kitchen, Sharing bathroom): 500-550 [Can also find small room as low as 450]
Basement: 700-800 [2 people can easily stay]
College/University Hostel: usually around 800/month. Have to give 8 month rent in advance. For some college you also have to buy a meal plan. Room is very small, and bathroom is shared. Usually no kitchen and only microwave and a fridge is provided.
1 BHK : about 800-900 (3 people can easily stay, even 4 can be managed]
Rent Conditions: You have to sign a 1 year contract [Can't leave accommodation before 1 year but can sublet]. Two months notice period. First and last required (two month rent in first go, then monthly rent)

Transportation
Car: Forget about car. car is cheap (can even buy in just 3000) but insurance is costly (usually 400/month, yes!)
Cab: usually $8-10/km
Public Transport: Excellent service, very comfortable: Subway or Streetcar (Tram) or Buses. Monthly pass of $99 for students, 120 for general public.

Food
Grocery is cheap and you get all Indian stuff here, even maggy. I once saw a prestige 5 L cooker in Walmart in just 35 bucks (dollars), a price similar to Indian market price. Eating out is very expensive, usually 7-10 times expensive than cooking yourself.

For example, you can cook pasta at home and the grocery/oil cost etc would be less than $1 [may be just 40-50 cents]. One single time pasta in college cafeteria would be $6-$8. Try to learn cooking before you arrive. This will save hundreds of dollars a month for you.

If you cook regularly at home, and eat out occasionally, then you are estimating about 150-200 a month.

Entertainment
Movies {English, and even Hindi/Punjabi} DVD is available free in Toronto Public Library. Library membership is free. You can rent upto 50 book.DVD at a time.

Movies in hall: $10

Clubbing: Not as expensive as they are in India. Sometimes the entry is free, sometimes 5 or 10 bucks. For special events and in Desi club, the entry is 20. A beer (350 ml) is 6 inside a club (outside it is 2).

Museum: Entry fees differs and is in range between 6 to 28. However, you can get free museum pass in Library on Saturday @ 9 am.

Phone: No contract. Own handset. Base plan 25 (free Toronto/GTA calling) + 20 (Unlimited India calling} + 5 (Unlimited Internet on phone) + tax ~ 55/month

Depending upon your lifestyle, you can assume monthly living expenses from a mere 550 to as high as 1100. major saving point: shared accommodation and cooking at home.

Stay hungry, stay foolish and keep trying. Best of luck to you all for your admission and visa.

GS
Hi friend. I heard that people in ontario are living with as less as $300 per month.Is that possible?

atul.twri

Feb 18, 2013
hi bro...as i am currently planning for sept intake at either Humber college or Niagara College...if u can just tell me that if me and my friend rent a 1BHK and share the accommodation what will be the rent???

Sweetalker

Sep 4, 2013
Toronto, Canada.
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa, Ontario.
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-05-2014
Doc's Request.
PER: 20th August 2014
IELTS Request
8.0 Overall (7.5 Minimum)
File Transfer...
15-09-2014
Med's Request
06-11-2014
Med's Done....
15-11-2014
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
20-02-2015
VISA ISSUED...
25-03-2015
LANDED..........
10-04-2015
GS_Stud said:
All,

I'm an International student from New Delhi who received a lot of information from this forum when I was applying for my visa/College. I got admission, then Visa and am currently in Canada doing my pg studies.

I will be providing some information that might be useful for you guys. Starting with living cost in Canada.

Of course, it really depends upon individual to individual and some areas are expensive than others. I will be providing data for Toronto since I'm here for past 6 months.

Let's categorise the major expense in groups:
Rent [250-600]
Transportation [100]
Food [150-300]
Entertainment [0-150]
Phone: 55

Total Monthly Expense [550-1100]

RENT
This is what I've seen in the area:
Single room in a house (Sharing Kitchen, personal bathroom): 600-750/month
Single room in a house (Sharing Kitchen, Sharing bathroom): 500-550 [Can also find small room as low as 450]
Basement: 700-800 [2 people can easily stay]
College/University Hostel: usually around 800/month. Have to give 8 month rent in advance. For some college you also have to buy a meal plan. Room is very small, and bathroom is shared. Usually no kitchen and only microwave and a fridge is provided.
1 BHK : about 800-900 (3 people can easily stay, even 4 can be managed]
Rent Conditions: You have to sign a 1 year contract [Can't leave accommodation before 1 year but can sublet]. Two months notice period. First and last required (two month rent in first go, then monthly rent)

Transportation
Car: Forget about car. car is cheap (can even buy in just 3000) but insurance is costly (usually 400/month, yes!)
Cab: usually $8-10/km
Public Transport: Excellent service, very comfortable: Subway or Streetcar (Tram) or Buses. Monthly pass of $99 for students, 120 for general public.

Food
Grocery is cheap and you get all Indian stuff here, even maggy. I once saw a prestige 5 L cooker in Walmart in just 35 bucks (dollars), a price similar to Indian market price. Eating out is very expensive, usually 7-10 times expensive than cooking yourself.

For example, you can cook pasta at home and the grocery/oil cost etc would be less than $1 [may be just 40-50 cents]. One single time pasta in college cafeteria would be $6-$8. Try to learn cooking before you arrive. This will save hundreds of dollars a month for you.

If you cook regularly at home, and eat out occasionally, then you are estimating about 150-200 a month.

Entertainment
Movies {English, and even Hindi/Punjabi} DVD is available free in Toronto Public Library. Library membership is free. You can rent upto 50 book.DVD at a time.

Movies in hall: $10

Clubbing: Not as expensive as they are in India. Sometimes the entry is free, sometimes 5 or 10 bucks. For special events and in Desi club, the entry is 20. A beer (350 ml) is 6 inside a club (outside it is 2).

Museum: Entry fees differs and is in range between 6 to 28. However, you can get free museum pass in Library on Saturday @ 9 am.

Phone: No contract. Own handset. Base plan 25 (free Toronto/GTA calling) + 20 (Unlimited India calling} + 5 (Unlimited Internet on phone) + tax ~ 55/month

Depending upon your lifestyle, you can assume monthly living expenses from a mere 550 to as high as 1100. major saving point: shared accommodation and cooking at home.

Stay hungry, stay foolish and keep trying. Best of luck to you all for your admission and visa.

GS
Thanks for the vital info brother..
this shall help a lot..

Hope i get my VISA.. :p :p
Jan 2014 intake.. Centennial..

elokuu

Jun 22, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-07-2015
AOR Received.
27-08-2015
File Transfer...
28-09-2015
Med's Done....
24-06-2015
VISA ISSUED...
17-12-2015
LANDED..........
02-03-2016
manubali said:
can we work more than 20 hrs a week??????
Not during semesters. 20 hours per week during semesters and 40 hours per week during breaks.

reyhan649

Jun 25, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Delhi
NOC Code......
Student Visa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25th, November 2013
Doc's Request.
Student Visa
Nomination.....
Student Visa
AOR Received.
Student Visa
IELTS Request
7.5 (R-8.5; L-8; S-7.5 and W-6.5)
File Transfer...
26, November 2013
Med's Request
Student Visa
Med's Done....
7th, October 2013
Interview........
Student Visa
Passport Req..
Student Visa
VISA ISSUED...
2nd, December 2013
LANDED..........
24th of December 2013
Very informative topic. Posting just to keep it on the top!!

Sweetalker

Sep 4, 2013
Toronto, Canada.
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa, Ontario.
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-05-2014
Doc's Request.
PER: 20th August 2014
IELTS Request
8.0 Overall (7.5 Minimum)
File Transfer...
15-09-2014
Med's Request
06-11-2014
Med's Done....
15-11-2014
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
20-02-2015
VISA ISSUED...
25-03-2015
LANDED..........
10-04-2015
Very helpful indeed..

Hoping to see continuos answers from u fren..
:)

ck_aran

Nov 12, 2014
India
Category........
Visa Office......
chandigarh
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-11-2014
File Transfer...