+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Indian passport surrender

somak2001

Mar 13, 2017
Canada
Same for me too.
Status changed to 'Surrender certificate has been printed. ' today.
I got my wife's SC today via post.

Shipped to BLS via Purolator on Sep 6.
BLS site said 'processing at consulate' on Sep 16.

This ends the Indian passport surrender journey for all 3 family members. lol.
Next up - OCI for wife and kid.

Anand2021

Star Member
Feb 26, 2021
I got my wife's SC today via post.

Shipped to BLS via Purolator on Sep 6.
BLS site said 'processing at consulate' on Sep 16.

This ends the Indian passport surrender journey for all 3 family members. lol.
Next up - OCI for wife and kid.
Congratulation @somak2001 . By any chance do you remember, when you were able to first track the status on Embassy site? (after BLS status processing at consulate).

FMeg

Star Member
Oct 2, 2018
Consulate General of India, Toronto, Canada : FAQs (cgitoronto.gov.in)
If you look at this, there is no mention of address proof that's required.

However if you look at this,
Surrender-Certificate–How_to_Apply.pdf (blsindia-canada.com)
It says address proof is required.

I am planning to do a postal application as I was not able to get an appointment.

I have 3 questions:
1) If the address proof is required, do I need to send my original driver's license along with a self attested copy?
2) The photo instructions mention OCI in several locations even though this is a surrender certificate application. There's also a line where it says a photo needs to be uploaded. I have a temp application saved and it didn't give me an option to upload the photo anywhere. Am I missing a step?
3) Is a copy of the checklist needed? Its mentioned in the Ottawa checklist but not the Toronto one. I only ask this because if you google "BLS Toronto" it defaults to the Ottawa page. But the search result still has Toronto in the title for the top result. Its an absolute mess.

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Consulate General of India, Toronto, Canada : FAQs (cgitoronto.gov.in)
If you look at this, there is no mention of address proof that's required.

However if you look at this,
Surrender-Certificate–How_to_Apply.pdf (blsindia-canada.com)
It says address proof is required.

I am planning to do a postal application as I was not able to get an appointment.

I have 3 questions:
1) If the address proof is required, do I need to send my original driver's license along with a self attested copy?
2) The photo instructions mention OCI in several locations even though this is a surrender certificate application. There's also a line where it says a photo needs to be uploaded. I have a temp application saved and it didn't give me an option to upload the photo anywhere. Am I missing a step?
3) Is a copy of the checklist needed? Its mentioned in the Ottawa checklist but not the Toronto one. I only ask this because if you google "BLS Toronto" it defaults to the Ottawa page. But the search result still has Toronto in the title for the top result. Its an absolute mess.
1) Don't send original, only self attested copy
2) Upload is for OCI not for surrender.
3) It was needed before but not sure about the latest rules. Someone shared in the forum that the checklist is not available for Toronto location.

FMeg

Star Member
Oct 2, 2018
Thank you for the response. The second link I have shared is the checklist for the Toronto location.
Surrender Of India Citizenship (blsindia-canada.com)
This is where I got that pdf from.

If you google BLS, it'll take you to the main BLS page. After that you have to pick Toronto (Option 1) from the 3 options.
Once there, you can select "Surrender of Indian Citizenship" from the Passport services dropdown.

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Thank you for the response. The second link I have shared is the checklist for the Toronto location.
Surrender Of India Citizenship (blsindia-canada.com)
This is where I got that pdf from.

If you google BLS, it'll take you to the main BLS page. After that you have to pick Toronto (Option 1) from the 3 options.
Once there, you can select "Surrender of Indian Citizenship" from the Passport services dropdown.
Yes that's not the checklist. Choose Ottawa and download the checklist you will understand the difference.

rupindershergill

Sep 1, 2017
Hi! I am filling out the form for surrender certificate and it is not letting me type full birth place (as per passport). How do I go about this as I don’t want BLS to send me back for this?
Do I just fill up to whatever letters I can or can I handwrite anything?

sri_pri

Sep 16, 2020
Hi! I am filling out the form for surrender certificate and it is not letting me type full birth place (as per passport). How do I go about this as I don’t want BLS to send me back for this?
Do I just fill up to whatever letters I can or can I handwrite anything?
You should NOT hand write anything. As per passport, if your place of birth is "PLACE, STATE" just enter PLACE in the application. I did the same and my application was accepted.

Sultan.Can

Oct 16, 2024
Hello,

Is Surrender Certificate pickup not available currently at Toronto BLS Center?

I submitted my application on 12th Oct, the employee told me that pickup is not available and sold me their overpriced Courier drop off!