+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Inbound vs Outbound OWP OHIP Help

kkdishin

Jun 15, 2014
Hello,

I am a Canadian (born and raised) and am married to a Japanese. My wife has been in Canada, Ontario since January 2015 on a visitor visa. We have had lengthy talks about the spousal sponsorship and have used this forum lots. I have a few questions that I hope can be answered. I thank you all in advance. We are leaning towards the Inbound route for a few reasons.

We are both in our mid 20's and would like to have kids sooner than later. We are aware that the outbound route is considerably faster but we do not like the idea of possibly having my wife travel back to Japan for an interview. Also using the Inbound route will make my wife eligible for the Open Work Permit.
1. Where do I find the application form for the Open Work Permit? :p
2. Is the OWP given to all new applicants or just certain applicants? On the CIC Website http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/updates/2014/2014-12-22.asp it states it is only a 1 year pilot program. We are planning on applying before the 1 year is up (December 22, 2015). Do you think there will be a problem with getting the OWP?
3. I have read that the OWPs are usually processed within 4 months. Is this 4 months after we apply or after sponsor/applicant approval?
4. Using the Inbound route, my wife wont be able to leave Canada. Will we have to continue renewing her visitor visa or will she have "implied status"?

As a visitor my wife does not have any medical coverage. Giving birth is very costly and we would like OHIP coverage if possible. The following website http://settlement.org/ontario/health/ohip-and-health-insurance/ontario-health-insurance-plan-ohip/who-is-eligible-for-ohip/ is about OHIP eligibility.

1. It states that Ontario has to be "your principal home" and other stuff about staying in Ontario. How is this proved? We have lived together in Ontario since January but we have no way of proving she has stayed in Ontario.
2. In Part B what stage does "Approval-in-Principle" refer to?

We had applied for a visitor visa extension less than 30 days before her visa expired. Before getting an answer she traveled to Japan for 3 weeks for family commitments. Her 3 weeks will end this week.

1. Is applying less than 30 before the expiry going to be a problem to get back into Canada? Should we be worried about getting denied entry? We have also not purchased a return ticket (back to Japan). Will this be a problem?
2. We still have not gotten an answer for her visa extension. Can we just ignore that as it is considered void because she left Canada? I'm assuming if she is allowed back in she will get another 6 month visitor visa.

Thank you all for your help.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. You need form IMM 5710, which is available on the CIC website. Be sure to pay the proper amount ($255) to avoid having your application returned to you.

2. The OWP is only available to an Inland applicant that still has legal status. Those without status will only be eligible to apply for an OWP once they reach the AIP stage (~ 17 months).

3. The time starts from when CIC has received the application.

4. If you send the Inland application and the OWP at the same time (in the same envelope), prior to her status expiring, she will be covered under implied status throughout the process. Even though the OWP goes to a different facility (and Province), CIC will route it internally. It's also worth noting that your wife is free to leave Canada, even with an Inland application submitted, but...the caveat is that if she is denied re-entry, her application will likely be terminated. That's the risk that she needs to be aware of.

I'll defer to others that are in Ontario to answer your medical questions.

Since she has left Canada, the visitor extension is null and void. When she arrives at the POE, she will be assessed by the CBSA officer. It would be good if you could at least pay the fees for the PR application, so that she can present the receipt to the officer, proving that she has started the PR process. If not, having a refundable return ticket would be a very good idea.

She needs to read this information on Dual Intent:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/visa/dual.asp

Good luck!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
kkdishin said:
As a visitor my wife does not have any medical coverage. Giving birth is very costly and we would like OHIP coverage if possible. The following website http://settlement.org/ontario/health/ohip-and-health-insurance/ontario-health-insurance-plan-ohip/who-is-eligible-for-ohip/ is about OHIP eligibility.

1. It states that Ontario has to be "your principal home" and other stuff about staying in Ontario. How is this proved? We have lived together in Ontario since January but we have no way of proving she has stayed in Ontario.
2. In Part B what stage does "Approval-in-Principle" refer to?
Visitors do not qualify for OHIP. Also, the OWP issued for inland PR applicants will not qualify your wife for OHIP. I believe that *some* people with the pilot OWPs have been able to get OHIP with proof of a full time job but pretty much everyone else has been refused coverage. Have a read of a few threads

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/problems-attempting-to-apply-for-ohip-while-waiting-on-inland-pr-visa-t284981.0.html

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/oneyear-pilot-owp-for-spouses-and-commonlaw-partners-t260580.1095.html (lots of info in the May posts).

With an inland app, she will most likely not be able to get OHIP until after AIP, which takes 16 months right now. With an outland app, she would be a PR and get coverage in less time.

I seriously suggest you rethink your plan and look at applying outland.

kkdishin

Jun 15, 2014
Thank you Ponga and canuck_in_uk! Your answers helped a lot!

I'll have to buy a refundable ticket as we'll most likely still put some more thought into this process... As stated by canuck_in_uk we'll have to rethink which route to take. I am so very torn between which route to take... Being able to work after 4 months with the OWP with the inbound app would definitely help but having to wait ~26 months ridiculously long! But having to wait ~18 months to work with the outbound app sounds tough as well. The outbound route definitely sounds like the better choice in terms of getting health coverage. Decisions decisions...

1. Cost wise, are both routes generally the same?
2. Any other advice to help me decide? XD

At the POE what other things should we prepare to be certain that she will be allowed back into Canada? Should she state that we will be applying for the spousal sponsorship? Am I being too paranoid? :p

Thanks again!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
If you want OHIP coverage as soon as possible - go outland.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
kkdishin said:
But having to wait ~18 months to work with the outbound app sounds tough as well.
Don't go by outland times on the CIC site, they are NOT averages they are more worst-case times.

Check the Manila thread for actual times people are seeing through that VO, though I would expect an approx 1 year processing time (some are faster and some slower).

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
kkdishin said:
But having to wait ~18 months to work with the outbound app sounds tough as well.

1. Cost wise, are both routes generally the same?
2. Any other advice to help me decide? XD

At the POE what other things should we prepare to be certain that she will be allowed back into Canada? Should she state that we will be applying for the spousal sponsorship? Am I being too paranoid? :p
As Rob said, it won't be 18 months. You're looking at about 1 year for outland.

1. The application costs are exactly the same, $1040. You also need to factor in several hundred dollars for the medical, PCCs etc.

2. It's really up to you guys. You will find the majority of forum members will advise outland for the simple fact that the timeline is SO much shorter.

Pay the $1040 fees now. When she re-enters, she can say she is coming to visit her spouse while going through the PR process. With the PR fee receipt, a return ticket and proof of funds, she should have no issues.

kkdishin

Jun 15, 2014
canuck_in_uk said:
Pay the $1040 fees now. When she re-enters, she can say she is coming to visit her spouse while going through the PR process. With the PR fee receipt, a return ticket and proof of funds, she should have no issues.
Awesome thanks everyone for the answers!!! Outland it is!

Just read the fees section on the CIC website and I wasn't aware that I had to pay the fees before submitting the application! As canuck_in_uk stated above I will pay my fees now!!

1. Is there a time frame limit from when I pay the fees to when I submit the application? Or can I take my time to fill out the application once I pay my fees?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
kkdishin said:
Awesome thanks everyone for the answers!!! Outland it is!

Just read the fees section on the CIC website and I wasn't aware that I had to pay the fees before submitting the application! As canuck_in_uk stated above I will pay my fees now!!

1. Is there a time frame limit from when I pay the fees to when I submit the application? Or can I take my time to fill out the application once I pay my fees?
There is no time limit. You could pay the fees and take a few years to actually file the app, as long as the fees are still the same.

kkdishin

Jun 15, 2014
canuck_in_uk said:
There is no time limit. You could pay the fees and take a few years to actually file the app, as long as the fees are still the same.
Awesome thanks for the answer canuck_in_uk

I just payed the $1040 fee and got my receipt. The receipt doesn't really show anything important other than the amount and the receipt number. Is it normal that it doesn't show what the payment was for? It also does not have my wife's name on the receipt as I guess it used the cardholders name. Will this be sufficient at the POE?

Thanks again

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
kkdishin said:
I just payed the $1040 fee and got my receipt. The receipt doesn't really show anything important other than the amount and the receipt number. Is it normal that it doesn't show what the payment was for? It also does not have my wife's name on the receipt as I guess it used the cardholders name. Will this be sufficient at the POE?
That's fine. It's the amount that is important.

cookiebiskit

Oct 9, 2015
PLEASE HELP! I'm new here.

I'm really in need of some help.

My husband is a PR. We've been together since 2006. We're both Filipinos by birth. Married last May 2014. We plan to apply for INLAND SPONSORSHIP but we don't know what to do first. Should I get a tourist visa?