+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

In distress - please help

helloworldall

Apr 1, 2009
I am waiting in my home country (India) and I have received my permanent immigrant visa.
My husband has been in Canada. He left after our marriage and filed my papers from Canada.
Here is my problem; please help.

Something has changed with my husband (either loss of his job or some other circumstance which
he is not telling me) in recent months. When I ask him about when I can come to Canada to join
him, he gets very upset. He is behaving very rudely. He says that if I come to Canada, he will
"physically assault me and hand me over to social services". I am deeply distressed and do not
know what to do. My parents and whole family is suffering.

I understand that I can not wait until my visa expires. Can Canadian immigration laws create trouble
for me if I land within the validity period of my visa. What should I expect at the port of entry?

Thank you for your help/comment

maruti81

Mar 13, 2009
helloworldall said:
I am waiting in my home country (India) and I have received my permanent immigrant visa.
My husband has been in Canada. He left after our marriage and filed my papers from Canada.

Something has changed with my husband (either loss of his job or some other circumstance which
he is not telling me) in recent months. When I ask him about when I can come to Canada to join
him, he gets very upset. He is behaving very rudely. He says that if I come to Canada, he will
"physically assault me and hand me over to social services". I am deeply distressed and do not

I understand that I can not wait until my visa expires. Can Canadian immigration laws create trouble
for me if I land within the validity period of my visa. What should I expect at the port of entry?

I am sorry to hear your situation. Check with any experienced attorney. Take care.

rimpy

Mar 21, 2009
helloworldall said:

hi.. sorry to hear that but as per me if u will not enter canada before the expiry of your visa thn Canadian immigration laws will create trouble otherwise not. If your husband has sponsored you, thn its his responsibility to take care of you for minimum 3years aftr your landing.. if im not mistaken.

May be seniors can give some good advise.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can land in Canada within the validity of your visa to activate your PR status. You do not need your husbands permission, maybe better if you do not even tell him when you are coming so he will not try to make trouble for you. If you want to stay in Canada nobody will stop you but if you go to social services and collect welfare or other assistance, they will send the bill to your husband because he sponsored you. This may be why he doesn't want you to come. He may have found somebody else and knows that if you come and go on welfare, he will have to pay.

If you are not sure about moving to Canada at the moment, you can go and activate your PR status within the validity of your visa and then go back to India. You can be outside Canada for up to 3 out of 5 years and still keep your PR so say you get your PR status, go back to India and in a year or two want to go live in Canada, you can do it.

nguyentu2001

Champion Member
Mar 19, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
helloworldall said:
he will
know what to do.

What should I expect at the port of entry?
If your visa is valid then you can enter Canada without any problem. They will ask for an address to send a PR card to you.

Does your husband have any metal problem or is he having an affair? Once you arrive in Canada, you can contact family services or family assault center........i am sure they will take care of your problem with your husband. If he ever harms you, he will be questions by policed and may face with a sentence in jail. It will not affect your PR status.

Good luck,

nguyentu2001

Champion Member
Mar 19, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Leon said:
You can land in Canada within the validity of your visa to activate your PR status. You do not need your husbands permission, maybe better if you do not even tell him when you are coming so he will not try to make trouble for you. If you want to stay in Canada nobody will stop you but if you go to social services and collect welfare or other assistance, they will send the bill to your husband because he sponsored you. This may be why he doesn't want you to come. He may have found somebody else and knows that if you come and go on welfare, he will have to pay.

If you are not sure about moving to Canada at the moment, you can go and activate your PR status within the validity of your visa and then go back to India. You can be outside Canada for up to 3 out of 5 years and still keep your PR so say you get your PR status, go back to India and in a year or two want to go live in Canada, you can do it.
she can not go back to India right away though. She will need to get her PR card first in Canada then leave and come back during 3 year period

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
nguyentu2001 said:
she can not go back to India right away though. She will need to get her PR card first in Canada then leave and come back during 3 year period
This is partly true. If she has no relatives or friends in Canada (I would not trust the husband to do it) who she can give the address of to get the PR card mailed to and who will then mail it to her, she might want to wait for it. It takes around 30 days.

If she however, can not wait for it, there are ways of coming back to Canada without one. People do this all the time when they need to land but can only stay a couple of weeks. PR's whose PR card is lost, stolen or expired can apply for a PR travel document to get back for example. She would have to ask when she lands if she can use the same document to get back.

sonimal

Star Member
Mar 16, 2009
hey
so sorry to hear about it, I can feel your pain..but ur husband has no rights to treat you this way...u have to be very strong and come to canada to activate your PR. there are so many Women agencies and programs here to help you find a job and start a career,,,you have nothing to fear and you absolutely dont need your husband's support to get established here..you can do it own your own...and DO NOT let go of this opportunity of coming to canada...its your husband's loss n not yours

Where exactly in canada will you be landing??? if in Toronto, make sure yo send me a Private message..and I will be more than happy to help you the most i can

Take care

soni

BCguy

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2008
Vancouver British Columbia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
16-03-1976
I work with the BC Goverment and I can tell you,He cannot do anything to stop you from becoming a PR,As a a PR you have rights and there are lots of agencies to help,This is Canada and not a third world country,If He physically assaults you,He goes to jail or is fined and he HAS TO SUPPORT YOU FOR 3 years after you arrive,If he refuses,The Goverment just removes his money from the bank or just garnishes his salary.,If you choose to come to BC,Contact me by PM

graham

Star Member
Jan 11, 2008
My dear,this does not sound like the kind of man you should planning your life with,he was fully aware of his sponsorship reqirements when he signed-if he is not giving you an explination why you cannot come and is threatening you I would seriously re-asses your situation. In your position I would first try to find a place of residence you can stay at in canada so there is an address to send the pr card to,I would set yourself up on social assistance if you need to(your husbands responsibility but since he is a dead beet-go for it) find work in canada if you can and start over- I know it is not my buisness but I would seriously not stay married to this type of individual-you deserve a man who knows how to treat a lady.Good luck to you (go befor the visa expires ;) )

lbw

Nov 26, 2008
While this is not a pleasant situation, why should the resources in Canada be used to try and rehabilitate this man if he is abusive to his wife. The man is abusing his rights to live here and should be investigated. The wife would be wise to stay in the arms of her family and after ridding herself of this beast, try to move forward. Having been in an abusive relationship (as a British/Canadian), I know these men can never change.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
lbw said:
While this is not a pleasant situation, why should the resources in Canada be used to try and rehabilitate this man if he is abusive to his wife. The man is abusing his rights to live here and should be investigated. The wife would be wise to stay in the arms of her family and after ridding herself of this beast, try to move forward. Having been in an abusive relationship (as a British/Canadian), I know these men can never change.
I don't think anybody is advicing her to go back to him but she has the chance to immigrate to Canada through him so why not keep that door open? If he can give her nothing other than Canada PR for her troubles, then she can take it if she wants it.

lbw

Nov 26, 2008
Leon, So you are saying that it is okay for her to be given a PR when the relationship is abusive and will not last ? Does that not go against all the criteria for common law / marriage applications ?

Boncuk

Nov 15, 2008
He's saying that she should take the PR and have nothing to do with her husband!!! Don't you guys get it.. why should she suffer and she could have a chance for PR in Canada. He made the commitment.. She doesn't have to live with him even. She could land, stay for a month and get her card and go back to India. Then she has the choice to come and go as she chooses and can live in Canada as well. No one is saying go live with your abusive husband!!! Leon has made some very valid points... But seeing as the OP hasn't written anything since I don't know why everyone is bothering :)