+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IMM0008: A question about 'dependant children'

Jul 16, 2016
My wife is applying for PR status. The section DEPENDANTS indicates that details need to be filled out for those

"who are not already permanent residents or citizens of Canada".

Am I correct in assuming that my children, who are full citizens of Canada, do not need to have this section filled out?

A second question: Once our application has been tendered, is there another visa needed for my wife to enter Canada? Or is there something she needs added to her passport along the lines of "PR status applicant" which will allow her to avoid the necessity of getting a different visa?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Your Canadian children are not dependents.

There is no special visa. If she is not visa-exempt, she needs to apply for a TRV; with a spouse in Canada and a PR app submitted, chances of approval are low.

Jul 16, 2016
Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Neither of us is in Canada at the moment. Does that change things?

I've discovered that she will need an 'eTA' - Electronic Travel Authorization - to travel to Canada. However, Permanent Residents are not eligible to apply for same (not needing one as the PR grants them right of entry). Does being sponsored in an ongoing PR application count as holding PR status for the purpose of exempting one from needing an eTA, do you know?

MilesAway

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-09-2014
Doc's Request.
09-04-2015
AOR Received.
12-11-2014
File Transfer...
30-10-2014
Med's Done....
26-08-2014
Passport Req..
23-04-2015
VISA ISSUED...
07-05-2015
LANDED..........
04-06-2015
The eTA requirement only comes into effect in September. She will only have PR status once she has landed as a PR (after you send in the application, it's processed, and she is approved). Having a PR application in progress does not exempt you from the eTA requirement.

Sabsical

Jul 9, 2016
Hi guys, I have a related question that's really bugging me.
Some of the sponsorship forms mention that "all dependent children 18 years of age or older" must fill __ (ie. form IMM5406E). But in the guide document (guide 3900 on the canadian government website) "dependent children" are defined as children "under the age of 19"! Does this basically mean that only 18 year old children of the applicant+spouse need to fill in these forms?? :eek:

Also, if a form needs to be filled in by my step-mom's (principal applicant's) family members, does that include my dad and I, or just her family (children) from before she married my dad?

Thanks so much!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Sabsical said:
Does this basically mean that only 18 year old children of the applicant+spouse need to fill in these forms?? :eek:

Also, if a form needs to be filled in by my step-mom's (principal applicant's) family members, does that include my dad and I, or just her family (children) from before she married my dad?
Yes, only 18 year old dependent children must fill out their own forms.

Family members refers only to spouse and dependent children that are not already Canadian citizens or PRs.