+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IMM 5406 - Additional Family Information.

StephanH

Feb 20, 2019
Category........
Hello Members,

I'm not sure if anyone could answer my questions, but here ya go;)

A little info about me... I'm the main sponsor (Born in Canada) and I'll be sponsoring my common-law partner that his the applicant, it will be an outbound application. We have been living (cohabiting) together since 2015 in the Philippines. We have 1 daughter together, she was born in 2015 in the Philippines. Our child is also a Canadian Citizen, she got her citizenship in 2018.

Now, I'm a little confused about form IMM 5406. I know that the applicant (the person who will be sponsored) needs to fill out this form.

Section A

Applicant: My common-law partner's information?
Spouse, Common-Law partner or conjugal: This is me (the sponsor) information, common-law?
Mother: The applicant's Mom?
Father: The applicant's Dad?

Why would they ask for information about her parents when they have nothing to do with this application process?

Section B

Now, this is where I'm a bit confused;( Does she (the applicant) need to put our daughter's name in that section, our daughter is only 3 years old. Our daughter is already Canadian Citizen. Why would they put the option "Marital Status" if a child's info goes there? We can't put "single" from the drop down menu for a 3 year old. Maybe, I'm thinking only children that are 18+ would go in that section B?

Section C

I would presume this is all of her (the applicant's) siblings ?

Any kind of help would be appreciated;) Thx to everyone and good luck.

Last edited:

shalenabennie

Champion Member
Jan 17, 2017
Visa Office......
London
Yes the application requires information regarding the PA s family Patents abd brothers and sisters. Even though they are not being sponsored.

Reactions: paint.thinner

StephanH

Feb 20, 2019
Category........
You child is not a dependent, as she is already Canadian.
Ok, this form is basically only for dependents, parents and siblings of the PA... Because I've read somewhere even if the child is already Canadian citizen, you'll need to put your child's name in Section B.

paint.thinner

Star Member
Jan 16, 2015
Dhaka, Bangladesh
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 2014
Nomination.....
November 2014
AOR Received.
January 2015
Med's Request
November 2015
Med's Done....
November 2015
Passport Req..
December 2015
VISA ISSUED...
December 2015
Additional Family Information (IMM 5406)

Who needs to fill out this form?
This form must be filled out and signed by:
  • The principal applicant,
  • All dependent children aged 18 or over (whether coming with you to Canada or not).
  • Note: if your dependent child is the principal applicant on a sponsorship application, you should complete this form on their behalf regardless of their age.
SECTION A
Write the personal details for:
  • Yourself (the person being sponsored),
    • If you are married and you were physically present at the marriage, write “married – physically present” in the marital status box
    • If you are married and you were not physically present at the marriage, write “married – not physically present” in the marital status box. Note that we do not recognize marriages by proxy.
  • your spouse or common-law partner, (if this applies to you)
    • If you are married and your spouse was physically present at the marriage, write “married – physically present” in the marital status box
    • If you are married and your spouse wasn’t physically present at the marriage, write “married – not physically present” in the marital status box. Note that we do not recognize marriages by proxy.
  • your mother, and
  • your father.
SECTION B
Write the personal details for your children. It is very important that you list all of your children (even if they are already permanent residents or citizens of Canada). This includes:
  • married children,
  • adopted children,
  • children of your spouse(step-children) or common-law partner,
  • any of your children who have been adopted by others,
  • any of your children who are in the custody of an ex-spouse, former common-law partner or other guardian.
You must answer all questions. If any sections do not apply to you, answer “N/A”.

SECTION C
Write personal details about your:
  • brothers,
  • sisters,
  • half-brothers and half-sisters,
  • step-brothers and step-sisters.
SECTION D
After carefully reading the statements in this section, sign and date the declaration.

paint.thinner

Star Member
Jan 16, 2015
Dhaka, Bangladesh
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 2014
Nomination.....
November 2014
AOR Received.
January 2015
Med's Request
November 2015
Med's Done....
November 2015
Passport Req..
December 2015
VISA ISSUED...
December 2015
I just copied and pasted the instructions from the Complete Guide.

The Document Checklist (the one that I used) states "The following person(s) must fill out their own copy of this form: You (the principal applicant), and any of your family members 18 years of age or older (who are not already Canadian citizens or permanent residents)." That means that in your case, the Principal Applicant should fill out his/her copy of this form. The Sponsor (@StephanH) and the 3-year old daughter do not need to fill out their copy of the form.

So when the Principal Applicant is filling out his/her form
  • Under Section A, "Applicant" refers to the Principal Applicant, "Spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner" refers to the Sponsor aka @StephanH, "Mother" refers to the Principal Applicant's mother and "Father" refers to the Principal Applicant's father.
  • Under Section B, the Principal Applicant should definitely mention the 3-year old daughter (and any other children/step-children/adopted children, etc he/she might have, if applicable) since the Complete Guide states: "It is very important that you list all of your children (even if they are already permanent residents or citizens of Canada)."
  • Under Section C, the Principal Applicant should list all of his/her siblings including all half-siblings and step-siblings.

Hey @StephanH, it is also very important to note that all names mentioned in this form must be mentioned in English and also in the native language of the Principal Applicant (which could be Filipino or any other language). If it is Filipino, use the Filipino alphabet.

Jazzercise

Sep 25, 2018
Canada
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
26-10-2018
AOR Received.
10-11-2018
Med's Request
07-01-2019
Med's Done....
17-01-2019
Hello Members,

I'm not sure if anyone could answer my questions, but here ya go;)

A little info about me... I'm the main sponsor (Born in Canada) and I'll be sponsoring my common-law partner that his the applicant, it will be an outbound application. We have been living (cohabiting) together since 2015 in the Philippines. We have 1 daughter together, she was born in 2015 in the Philippines. Our child is also a Canadian Citizen, she got her citizenship in 2018.

Now, I'm a little confused about form IMM 5406. I know that the applicant (the person who will be sponsored) needs to fill out this form.

Section A

Applicant: My common-law partner's information?
Spouse, Common-Law partner or conjugal: This is me (the sponsor) information, common-law?
Mother: The applicant's Mom?
Father: The applicant's Dad?

Why would they ask for information about her parents when they have nothing to do with this application process?

Section B

Now, this is where I'm a bit confused;( Does she (the applicant) need to put our daughter's name in that section, our daughter is only 3 years old. Our daughter is already Canadian Citizen. Why would they put the option "Marital Status" if a child's info goes there? We can't put "single" from the drop down menu for a 3 year old. Maybe, I'm thinking only children that are 18+ would go in that section B?

Section C

I would presume this is all of her (the applicant's) siblings ?

Any kind of help would be appreciated;) Thx to everyone and good luck.
The principal applicant (PA) will fill this out. This sheet is important for a few reasons, perhaps most importantly for any future sponsorships that might be undertaken. Thus, the PA should make sure to include as accurate as information as possible.

In Section A, the PA does in fact need to include their parents. If certain information doesn't pertain to them -- such as not having an email address -- simply write "N/A" or "Not Applicable." (This holds true for all other sections on this form, as you'll see below.)

In Section B, the PA will identify their daughter even though she is already a Canadian citizen. You can note this fact on the form. You should be able to point out that she is single. Since she's three, she probably doesn't have a phone, email, etc., so write "N/A" in the appropriate fields.

You are correct about Section C. The PA needs to list all siblings and include as much information as possible.

If you and the PA feel as though certain sections have not been filled out clearly, or you need to explain a bit further, you are allowed to attach an extra sheet explaining whatever it is you want to clear up. (I had to do this since I had one piece of information about a parent which I did not know, and I wanted to give a brief explanation.) Just make sure that on this extra sheet of paper, at the top you identify both yourself and the PA (full legal name, date of birth), the form number it corresponds to, and the section you are addressing.

Lastly, make sure the form is signed. The application will be returned to if any signatures are missing.

Minor edit: The PA can probably put her phone number for the daughter. At the end of the day, this is pretty minor. The agent will see it's a three-year-old kid living with its parents...

Reactions: StephanH

StephanH

Feb 20, 2019
Category........
The principal applicant (PA) will fill this out. This sheet is important for a few reasons, perhaps most importantly for any future sponsorships that might be undertaken. Thus, the PA should make sure to include as accurate as information as possible.

In Section A, the PA does in fact need to include their parents. If certain information doesn't pertain to them -- such as not having an email address -- simply write "N/A" or "Not Applicable." (This holds true for all other sections on this form, as you'll see below.)

In Section B, the PA will identify their daughter even though she is already a Canadian citizen. You can note this fact on the form. You should be able to point out that she is single. Since she's three, she probably doesn't have a phone, email, etc., so write "N/A" in the appropriate fields.

You are correct about Section C. The PA needs to list all siblings and include as much information as possible.

If you and the PA feel as though certain sections have not been filled out clearly, or you need to explain a bit further, you are allowed to attach an extra sheet explaining whatever it is you want to clear up. (I had to do this since I had one piece of information about a parent which I did not know, and I wanted to give a brief explanation.) Just make sure that on this extra sheet of paper, at the top you identify both yourself and the PA (full legal name, date of birth), the form number it corresponds to, and the section you are addressing.

Lastly, make sure the form is signed. The application will be returned to if any signatures are missing.

Minor edit: The PA can probably put her phone number for the daughter. At the end of the day, this is pretty minor. The agent will see it's a three-year-old kid living with its parents...
Thanks for the detailed information.... This is what I've thought in regard to my daughter. Thx for clearing this up.

YB2020

Aug 9, 2019
Good day everyone,

I kindly want to ask if anyone knew/experienced a returned application because of imm5406 for a reason that they forgot to indicate/type Brother or Sister under Relationship section, but the rest of the information such as brother’/sister’s name, DOB, country&territory of birth, Marital status, E-mail addres and present address are all been provided. It’s just that Relationship info that they forgot to type.
Thank you.

olufisayo77

Star Member
Nov 4, 2017
Please need to send additional document in my application under form imm 5406 I included the names of my spouse siblings ircc is asking me to send new document do i leave this out and just put the siblings of the myself alone the PA pls help out

anhit07

Oct 26, 2019
Hello,

I am applying for Express Entry and CIC requested me the form IMM 5406
Do I need to fill my parents information when they are not coming with me to Canada now?

I may apply for them PR later, is there any impacts on my future application if I leave them out of the form

Thank you in advance

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello,

I am applying for Express Entry and CIC requested me the form IMM 5406
Do I need to fill my parents information when they are not coming with me to Canada now?

I may apply for them PR later, is there any impacts on my future application if I leave them out of the form

Thank you in advance
If it was optional whether to include them or not, that would be stated.

If you leave them off, your app will be rejected as incomplete.

BIJITIN.P.C

Star Member
Jul 8, 2015
Hello friends
Recently i got martied on jan 23 . My pr application is on processing. October 2 i submitted my application . I just send information about my marriage and got reply that to upload imm 5406 form. So my doubt is i just need to upload only imm 5406 form that is what they requested in email or along with other supporting documents like marriage certigicate , pcc , medical other imm 008 form
Plz reply

zc7746561

Aug 12, 2020
Good day everyone,

I kindly want to ask if anyone knew/experienced a returned application because of imm5406 for a reason that they forgot to indicate/type Brother or Sister under Relationship section, but the rest of the information such as brother’/sister’s name, DOB, country&territory of birth, Marital status, E-mail addres and present address are all been provided. It’s just that Relationship info that they forgot to type.
Thank you.
Hello,
I forgot to indicate Brother or Sister under relationship section, I am wondering is it will lead the application return? I submit my application based on PNP Paper.

Could you advise?

Thanks