+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IELTS reading help!

Inahy

Aug 29, 2012
Hello everyone,

This is my first post here.recently, I have attempted ielts GM and below is my result.
L:6.5,S:7,w:7 and R:5 :-[

I know I am not fast or regular English reader ,but I am looking forward to improving my reading skills and really appreciate your help experts!. Also, I am wondering whether reading in general will improve my reading pace and skills or not.

Thank you all.

flossiebebe

Jun 12, 2012
I suggest you do more focused reading. There are very good reading tips in ielts blog on the internet. Also exam english has good practice tests.

Inahy

Aug 29, 2012
Thank you,flossiebebe, for advice.I understand focused-reading is to understand what you read.However, this process requires a lot of time,which I do not have during the exam.Also, I have read many tips about reading, like skimming, searching for keyword and so on,but in fact every time i want to search for keyword i read the whole passage then underline the keyword and i could not figure out the right way.
currently I am using an ebook "improve your IELTS Reading Skills" from "MACMILLAN" and hopefully this will help me, if anyone has a better source I will be grateful.

Shayma Arif

Sep 13, 2012
Good Evening,

please can u help me to improve my skills in reading??? to register to IELTS exam.

with my regards
shayma'a

rockers2012

May 8, 2012
yes, you will raise your band quickly if you follow these tips properly.

1. acclimatize yourself with question types.
2. read the passage first and then answer the questions.
3. When at home, while your practicing reading passages, go back to your questions and then to the passage again, and see why you have committed a mistake etc...it will give you a sense of how to avoid falling into traps and read the wording of your questions correctly and carefully.
4. Underline first/middle/end part of your question quickly first thing before u start reading ur passage....rewording/synonyms will be used in the passage so it will help you to locate answers easily.

Also, you can underline whatever you want on your original question paper so do not worry about that.
Most important tip is, take your time and check your answers thoroughly while practicing at home instead of solving questions blindly but not checking your answers etc

Inahy

Aug 29, 2012
Thank you rockers2010! for your valuable tips.I will use them and hopefully I can achieve 8 in reading test next time.