+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IEC (WHP) How do I reapply from within Canada?

adriannat

Aug 22, 2013
Hi,
I am in Canada on a 2 year work permit through the International Experience Canada- Working Holiday. It expires in October and I have completed Stage 1 of the new process and gotten pre-approval. However, once I did the questionnaire on mycic, it has told me I am eligible to apply for IMM5710 (Application to change conditions, extend my stay or remain in Canada as a worker).
I am hearing conflicting things about whether I can actually go for this.
Can I extend my current work permit from within Canada under this type of permit?
If not, I have received pre-approval from whp that I am eligible to go for another whp. Do I need to leave Canada in order to complete stage 2 and get another work permit?
I have a job but it is retail and I am unable to get an LMO. Really, I just want to stay in Canada and enjoy it for another 2 years without having to quit my job, go home and reapply.
In all aspects of the WHP, I qualify (age, etc).
Anyone's speedy help would be very much appreciated!

iam_toby

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2013
IEC WHP visa can't be extended, so you can't use that form to extend a current work permit.
You already have the conditional acceptance letter from IEC? That's great!
Then go ahead and fire up the come to canada wizard: http://www.cic.gc.ca/ctc-vac/cometocanada.asp
Then answer the questions like this:
- what would you like to do: work
- temporary: more than 6 months
- nationality of your passport
- current country of residence: YOUR NATIONALITY OF PASSPORT ( YOUR HOMECOUNTRY ) that's important
Then go thru the rest of the questions. If you're asked for employer details or arranged
employment chose 'No' as you want another working holiday visa, hence open workpermit.

Let me know if you have any questions.

iam_toby

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2013
And no, you don't have to leave Canada 8) I was in the same situation earlier this year. Do as
I posted above and you'll be fine.

1hr 4mins, not speedy but hopefully quick enough :p

adriannat

Aug 22, 2013
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU..

Now, one last little thing... when I redo the 'Come to Canada' questionnaire, underneath the question of current residence, they say 'if you are presently in Canada, you should select Canada'. Are they trying to stress me out by complicating things?

iam_toby

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2013
adriannat said:
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU..

Now, one last little thing... when I redo the 'Come to Canada' questionnaire, underneath the question of current residence, they say 'if you are presently in Canada, you should select Canada'. Are they trying to stress me out by complicating things?
Yes. I have no idea why they say that. It's BS. If you select Canada as your current country of residence then
you'll never get the IEC option at the end.
I email and called IEC beginning of the year and they said to simply select your home country as current
country of residence.
Not only are they stressing you out, they're stressing out all applicants applying for a new IEC visa from within Canada. 8)

adriannat

Aug 22, 2013
One last little thing.
They want me resume. I have been working for the same employer in Canada since I arrived. If I note that down, won't they know I have a current offer within Canada? So, do I put it on or leave it off? but that's almost a 2 year gap on my CV.
Sorry for all the questions, I am very stressed and only have 6 weeks left of my current WHP.

iam_toby

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2013
adriannat said:
One last little thing.
They want me resume. I have been working for the same employer in Canada since I arrived. If I note that down, won't they know I have a current offer within Canada? So, do I put it on or leave it off? but that's almost a 2 year gap on my CV.
Sorry for all the questions, I am very stressed and only have 6 weeks left of my current WHP.
Put it in your resume. That's fine, I did the same. Started working for my current employer
on my first WHP and continued on my second WHP. Just don't put any employer information in the questionnaire, since
you want the working holiday visa ( open work permit and therefore not bound to a specific employer ).

iam_toby

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2013
Just checked my IEC application, and I also put my Canadian address in all the forms I filled out.
And I think the form you have to fill out for IEC is called IMM1295E. If I remember it right.

adriannat

Aug 22, 2013
Last questions (I hope). And thank you, you have been so helpful and stopped a few extra grey hairs from springing up!
But this is where it gets even more hairy for me.
Country of residence? Canada or Australia?
Previous countries of residence? (Do I answer Australia for the first, and then put Canada down for this, and the from and to, my WHP dates?)
Country where applying. Canada? This feels wrong because the application is titled 'work permit made outside of canada).

iam_toby

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2013
Form IMM1295E:

Q7
Current country of residence: Canada
Other: IEC 2012 Working Holiday
To: blank / ( or I read somewhere just put the date of when you apply in )

Q8
Previous country of residence: No
( Haven't lived in any other country than Canada and my country of Citizenship )

Q9
Country where applying: Same as current country of residence - Yes

Contact Information
I put my Canadian address in there

Let me know if you have more questions...

iam_toby

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2013
forgot something...

Details of intended work in Canada
Q1
International Experience Program

Q4
Working Holiday