+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

ICAS: Wrong Assessment? (German Vocational Training)

Monoman

Feb 1, 2019
Hi guys,

I'm in a bit of a bind. I got my education credentials assessed about 4 years ago. Due to different circumstances, I was only able to file for Express Entry recently.

In Germany I underwent a vocational training (German: Ausbildung) as a Specialized Computer Scientist (3 year course: dual vocational training part-time school / part-time company). Before that I went to a vocational-technical school (German: Fachoberschule) (2 year course) for electrical engineering. And before that elementary and middle school of course. So, all lined up, I have about 15 years of school education/training behind me.

ICAS assessed my credentials as follows:
- Vocational-technical school (2 years): comparable to Secondary School Education
- Vocational training (Computer Scientist - 3 years): comparable to Vocational Study at the Secondary School Level

With this in mind, I would've selected "Bachelor's degree (three or more year program at a university, college, trade or technical school, or other institute)" in the CRS. In my opinion, my highest level of education was a 3 year program at a trade/technical school: check.
However, my immigration lawyer said I can only select "Secondary diploma (high school graduation)" since this is what ICAS assessed me with.

I'm losing out on points big time, and I find it highly unfair since the type of education/training I went through is reputable and high quality. I don't think my vocational training is just a "high school" type of education.

What do I do now? Can I still select "Bachelor's degree (3 year program...)" as this is the logical choice? Or do I have to get a new assessment? Or is ICAS actually right and this is the highest I can get?

Thanks!

sailee94

May 23, 2019
Ausbildung zum Computer Scientist?
Sollte dass eine Ausbildung zum Fachinformatiker für Anwendungsentwicklug gewesen sein? Und die ICAS hat es als Specialized Computer Scientist bewerted??<
Aber trotzdem nur ein High School Assessment.... Hat sich bei dir was geändert?

ralphr777

Aug 22, 2018
Same question here. I have a Ausbildung on Mediengestalter in Germany. Anyone knows how would be this classified as and how many points would I expect to get for this?

sailee94

May 23, 2019
So... OP is not active anymore and nobody else has the answer to that question? I just finished my Fachinformatiker fuer Anwendungsentwicklung and I want to gain 2 years worth of work experience before I try to do my ECA, but still, I was wondering if I am still fracked or not. Since the only way I will get enough points, is if its assessed higher than a simply a High School Diploma.

Jul 19, 2022
Hi everybody, I just went through with my vocational training in Germany and the evaluation of ECA.
So I did a 3 year vocational training (kaufm. Ausbildung) as well as the further training for fachkauffrau / Meister. In Europe it’s equivalent to a bachelor degree, but it isn’t a degree in itself. IQAS evaluated a college diploma of 2 years. Just the first vocational training would have been a Highschool equivalent.
I hope this will help for anybody who is interested.