+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I want to bring my fiancee to Canada, from Russia... but how?

Kalimar

Jul 20, 2011
Hello... My problem is very common. The relationship with my girl is genuine, though born on the internet. We can document the history of the relationship, more than a year long now, that's not a problem. Now she is ready to come and live with me here in Canada. We face a common problem: How do I bring her here so that she can actually get in?

We have thought of a travel agency tour, where she comes as part of a group of Russian tourists, then once she's here, she gets away from the group and marries me. But I'm told that there is a waiting period before even being allowed to get married in Canada. Does anyone know how does this work? The supposed strength of the case would be that once she's here, we can start living together, and I can apply to sponsor her, inland. And her application would go on even if she becomes out of status at some point, because of the waiver for spousal or common law relationships, correct? But I wonder if suddenly abandoning the tour could be a serious problem. Is it a viable option?

I just had another idea. Since I am a Mexican citizen, I thought of making her go to Mexico first, because getting a tourist visa for Mexico is usually easy. Meet her there, get married in Mexico, and then we both take an airplane to Canada, and she comes as my wife, Mexican marriage paper in hand. Would this be a stronger option for us? And if so, would she need to get a visa to come to Canada (in this case at some Canadian consulate in Mexico), even when she'd be coming as my wife already? And if so, would it be easy for her to get a visa, or would the officers be difficult anyway? And what kind of a visa would that be? Given that she'd be my wife already?

We don't want to apply outland, because we want to be together, as we love each other. She's aware that if we apply inland, she won't be able to go out of Canada for a long time, as this could be very risky. She doesn't mind this limitation.

Russian citizens have trouble getting any kind of visas anyhow, so I will appreciate any useful input on my doubts and questions.

Thank you.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
If you marry her in Mexico, she still needs a visa to enter Canada. It will be no easier for her to get a visitor visa after marrying you in Mexico than it would be for her to get one in Russia - in fact it might be harder. She can try applying for a visitor visa - she has to show ties to Russia, and has to show proof she will come back. So a letter from her boss giving her a couple of weeks off from her job might help.
If she comes on a tour, then leaves to stay with you, this could work. There is no real waiting period to get married in Canada.
Have you met in real life already? If not, then go visit her first. Getting married the first time a couple meets is a very bad sign for spousal sponsorship. I would go visit her a couple of times at least before marrying.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I agree.

If you have yet to even meet in person, this will be an enormous red flag when it comes to your (eventual) application, unless you spend some time together before getting married.

Nobody has the right to tell you that your relationship isn't genuine, but you have to see it from the perspective of an immigration officer.

Good luck!

Kalimar

Jul 20, 2011
Not thinking of going to Russia. She wants to come as soon as possible.

So, the tour adventure might be the way to go, then. According to the wording of the waiver for spousal or common law relationship, we can apply while we already live together, even if she goes out of status. If I make her pregnant in the meantime (she already agreed to this), that should make for a stronger case to prove that the relationship is genuine.

Thanks very much to both of you for your responses! :)

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Kalimar said:
Not thinking of going to Russia. She wants to come as soon as possible.

So, the tour adventure might be the way to go, then. According to the wording of the waiver for spousal or common law relationship, we can apply while we already live together, even if she goes out of status. If I make her pregnant in the meantime (she already agreed to this), that should make for a stronger case to prove that the relationship is genuine.

Thanks very much to both of you for your responses! :)
1. You can apply as soon as you are married, but unless you can prove that you did NOT get married as soon as you met each other the very first time...you should expect to have your relationship scrutinized heavily by CIC (Citizenship and Immigration Canada). They will likely see this as a marriage of convenience and you will have the burden of proving them wrong. I'm not saying it can't be done, but...it will be difficult for sure!

2. Please do not `make her pregnant' simply because you think it should `make for a stronger case'...because it won't!
Having a child together does NOT prove that the relationship is genuine and, unless you both really want a child...it's not fair to the child!

Sounds like you're determined to get her to Canada and get married ASAP, so...I wish you all the best!

Kalimar

Jul 20, 2011
Thank you for good wishes! :)Well... We want to have a child anyway, so it's all good... ;) I have another question:

My girl just found out that a marriage can be arranged quickly in Prague... and these guys say that she can get a visa for Canada easily, right after the wedding. The waiting period is two days, so, not a problem. Well, this supposedly comes from the Czech government, I will paste the text below:

I found a way out
Exit
Czech Republic
Who will read and throw off
Marriage to a Canadian
Registration of marriage to a Canadian in two days!

You should know that

Czech Republic - a country in which foreigners enter into a marriage legally, quickly and easily. To register a marriage with a Canadian enough to come for 2 days.
Czech for ease of marriage wins the contest with Denmark. The documents from Russia, Ukraine, Moldova does not need to put Apostille. You marry the Schengen visa - You do not need a visa of the bride!
A marriage contracted in the Czech Republic, is recognized in all countries, without exception (including in Canada).
What do I need to register the marriage?

For a personal consultation email or call us here, our contacts
Send us e-mail scanned copies of your documents:
Passport (first page)
Birth certificate,
Certificate of divorce (if you or your groom are divorced).
Information on marital status. For the groom and the bride-Canadian (citizen of Russia or Ukraine) we make this help in Prague. Brides from other countries to advise how and where to get it fast, or will assist.
Fill desirable to inform you the date of registration of marriage.
We process your documents and reserve a date for your marriage. It is sufficient to 2-3 working days to prepare your wedding.
You are coming to the Czech Republic for the registration of marriage to two working days. The program of stay:
from 9:00 to 11:00 visit the Canadian Consulate,
then from 12:00 to 13:00 visit foreign police.
The next day - the wedding. The ceremony was accompanied by a sworn translator into Russian, English, French or another language (of your choice).
We translate and legalize the Czech marriage certificate for Canada. Thus, your marriage certificate is fully legalized for Kanda!
All - You wife is a Canadian citizen! Congratulations!

Note. There may be additional charges.

For those newlyweds who are going after the wedding, live in Canada, you must obtain an additional 2 copies of the original certificates of marriage, legalized by the Magistrate of Prague, Czech Republic Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Canadian consulate, and translated into English in the Canadian consulate in Prague.

Marriage certificates are prepared: one for the Canadian authorities, the second for the Canadian Embassy in the CIS for "spouse visa / ha." Thus, the "Canadian" couple should pay extra cost of the wedding package in excess of 4000 crowns (about 150 Euros).

If the birth certificate issued Brac Canadian citizen in Canada, it is necessary to superlegalization Canadian consulate in Prague and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Czech Republic, the cost of this procedure in 1600 CZK / page (about 60 euros).
If Brac Canadian citizen divorced, the divorce certificate must be legalized in the Canadian Consulate and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Czech Republic, the cost of this procedure in 1600 CZK / page (about 60 euros).
The above amounts include only the consular fees and state duties without our agency services and without transport costs (which are usually 30 euros).
Legalization of documents for the wedding at the Canadian consulate made in person Brac Canadian citizen, the visa fee is paid by yourself.

Legalization and translation of the marriage takes place without the presence of customers on the basis of power of attorney. The client must pass our company to pay 4000 crowns consular fee and state duty.

* The third copy of the marriage certificate in original, its legalization and translation into Russian for the passport service of the CIS included the wedding package.

Below is the information from the official website of the Canadian Embassy in the Czech Republic:

Marriage Formalities in Czech Republic in Prague

What do you think?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Kalimar said:
My girl just found out that a marriage can be arranged quickly in Prague... and these guys say that she can get a visa for Canada easily, right after the wedding.
Very misleading information.
In general it's usually much MORE difficult to get a TRV to Canada, AFTER you get married to a Canadian citizen or PR. Since Canada will feel the strongest ties are to Canada and not home country, so the person really intends to live in Canada permanently and not just "visit". Countless people have had their TRVs denied due to this reason.

In order to be approved for a TRV she will need to show extremely strong ties to her home country and convince CIC she will return after her TRV expires.

And as was already mentioned, if you get married and apply immediately for PR upon your very first meeting each other in person, you should expect a very strict processing of your app, an interview, and CIC suspicion of a marriage of convenience done only for immigration purposes.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
The agency is giving you bad information. Don't listen to them. If you follow their instructions - there's a very high chance of refusal.

Listen to what everyone else saying. If you get married the first time you meet - expect the Canadian immigration process to be long and very painful. You need to meet a few times and spend time together before you get married.

Kalimar

Jul 20, 2011
scylla said:
The agency is giving you bad information. Don't listen to them. If you follow their instructions - there's a very high chance of refusal.

Listen to what everyone else saying. If you get married the first time you meet - expect the Canadian immigration process to be long and very painful. You need to meet a few times and spend time together before you get married.
Yeah... We'll stick to the vacation tour, better. I realize that the scrutiny will be heavy-handed... I guess we'll run the risk.

Thank you guys, for your help! :)

DanSlh

Champion Member
Dec 24, 2014
Brazil
Category........
Visa Office......
Sao Paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-03-2015
AOR Received.
17-04-2015
File Transfer...
07-05-2015 AOR2............: 15-05-2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
19-02-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
22-06-2015
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
02-07-2015
Kalimar said:
Yeah... We'll stick to the vacation tour, better. I realize that the scrutiny will be heavy-handed... I guess we'll run the risk.

Thank you guys, for your help! :)
IMHO, it doesn't worth the risks.
You apply, get refused then what? Appeal and wait for 2 more years?

lleahdoll

Nov 12, 2012
USA
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
Sep 9th, 2014
Doc's Request.
May 5th, 2015 (CSQ requested)
AOR Received.
Oct 14th, 2014
File Transfer...
Nov 14th, 2014
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
July 29th, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
DM: Aug 1st, 2015 COPR: Aug 6th, 2015
LANDED..........
Sep 1st, 2015
DanSlh said:
IMHO, it doesn't worth the risks.
You apply, get refused then what? Appeal and wait for 2 more years?
Except he can't appeal if they do inland, correct?

truesmile

Champion Member
Jun 7, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
MNL
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-05-2012
AOR Received.
18-07-2012
File Transfer...
24-07-2012
Med's Done....
18-05-2012
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
05-12-2012
VISA ISSUED...
08-01-2013
LANDED..........
02-02-2013
That's correct. That's when he goes to Russia, and they re-apply outland.

DanSlh

Champion Member
Dec 24, 2014
Brazil
Category........
Visa Office......
Sao Paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-03-2015
AOR Received.
17-04-2015
File Transfer...
07-05-2015 AOR2............: 15-05-2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
19-02-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
22-06-2015
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
02-07-2015
truesmile said:
That's correct. That's when he goes to Russia, and they re-apply outland.
Exactly :D

Kalimar

Jul 20, 2011
I see... so what you guys are saying is that we should get married in her country, and then apply outland, and then wait for the result? And you think that there's a good chance of being approved this way? And do you have an idea of how long would we have to wait until she's allowed to come to Canada? And I suppose if she gets approved by applying outland, then she can come and stay with me, and then no more issues with CIC, correct?

I know, a lot of questions. I will appreciate some more good input. I just told her all this, and she says that maybe we should go the long way, if the odds are better. Maybe she's right.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
From CIC's website:
You have to stay in Canada for three out of the last four years to apply for citizenship. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/become-eligibility.asp
Your wife will not become a Canadian citizen right after she marries you.
The 'two days' they mention mean she can come to the Czech Republic for two days without a visa in order to get married; it does not mean she can come to Canada.
The Czech company is just scamming people. They will get paid whether the Russian wife gets a visa or not. One example of many mistakes in the ad: they talk of the Canadian Consulate in Prague. There is no such thing - there is a Canadian Embassy in Prague, however. In addition, embassy staff will not translate things for you.

And I repeat - if you marry her the first time you meet her in person, you will have endless problems with her PR application. It is much better to meet a few times first, or stay for an extended time together, and only then get married.
If you want to apply common-law, the couple must live together for 12 months before they can apply. Having a baby is just evidence of the genuineness of the relationship - but it does not mean you are automatically considered common-law. You still have to live together for a year first. And people who have had a baby together have had the foreign partner's PR application refused.