+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I need to send my passport away for renewal. Would that cause issues if I get invited to write the citizenship test in the meantime?

LeCalgarien

Apr 21, 2022
I applied for citizenship a couple of months ago. My passport is expiring and I have a trip coming up, so I intend to renew my passport. The issue is that the renewal process takes up to two months and during this time I wouldn't have any passports, neither the current one I have provided copies for in the application nor the new one that is to be issued. My question is, what happens if I get the invite to write the test during this passport-less time?

First, how long is it from the test invitation to the actual test date? Can I expect to be able to wait 6-8 weeks from the moment I receive the invitation before I have to write the test?

Second, what are the required documents on the test day? Do I even need to present a passport?

Finally, are there any steps other than the test that I am missing that may require a passports? For example, what happens if I get an invitation for interview or fingerprinting? How long will I have to attend and do I need to present a passport?

Thank you all.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
I applied for citizenship a couple of months ago. My passport is expiring and I have a trip coming up, so I intend to renew my passport. The issue is that the renewal process takes up to two months and during this time I wouldn't have any passports, neither the current one I have provided copies for in the application nor the new one that is to be issued. My question is, what happens if I get the invite to write the test during this passport-less time?

First, how long is it from the test invitation to the actual test date? Can I expect to be able to wait 6-8 weeks from the moment I receive the invitation before I have to write the test?

Second, what are the required documents on the test day? Do I even need to present a passport?

Finally, are there any steps other than the test that I am missing that may require a passports? For example, what happens if I get an invitation for interview or fingerprinting? How long will I have to attend and do I need to present a passport?

Thank you all.
Go through https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/become-canadian-citizen/citizenship-test/access.html#photo-id
You just need only one ID hence can renew your passport without waiting. I assume you have PR card or other local govt issued ID such as driving license or health card with photo which is enough.
You can attend test from outside Canada.