+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I need to contact a Canadian immigration attorney please!

hemo293

Feb 22, 2017
Hello guys I hope all is well,
I am from Sudan and have been living in the US since the beginning of 2015. I have a pending asylum since July 2015 and still long way to my interview as the USCIS currently working on people who filed in January 2014. Long story short, I do have an aunt who lives in Canada( Her mother and my mother's mother are sisters ). What I wanna know is that an I going to be able to claim her as an aunt or it doesn't work that way? Any ideas or past experiences would be greatly appreciated. If that would make me legible to claim her I would definitely need an attorney because I don't want anything to go wrong.

Thank you.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

hemo293 said:
Hello guys I hope all is well,
I am from Sudan and have been living in the US since the beginning of 2015. I have a pending asylum since July 2015 and still long way to my interview as the USCIS currently working on people who filed in January 2014. Long story short, I do have an aunt who lives in Canada( Her mother and my mother's mother are sisters ). What I wanna know is that an I going to be able to claim her as an aunt or it doesn't work that way? Any ideas or past experiences would be greatly appreciated. If that would make me legible to claim her I would definitely need an attorney because I don't want anything to go wrong.

Thank you.
1. She isn't your Aunt. To be an Aunt, she would have to be either your mother or your father's sister.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
HI

Buletruck said:
Good catch. So she would be a cousin (first). Does that fall under the exception?
1, No she is not a first cousin, A first cousin is the son or daughter of a brother or sister of your mother or father.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
She's actually a "first cousin once removed". http://www.stevemorse.org/relation/calculator.html

The Safe Third Country Agreement recognizes a family member as the following:

spouse
legal guardian
child
father or mother
sister or brother
grandfather or grandmother
grandchild
uncle or aunt
nephew or niece
common-law partner
same-sex spouse
So, no go.

hemo293

Feb 22, 2017
zardoz said:
She's actually a "first cousin once removed".
So, no go.
do you recommend an immigration attorney? If so, could you please give me a suggestion of a reasonable attorney. that would be greatly appreciated

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
hemo293 said:
do you recommend an immigration attorney? If so, could you please give me a suggestion of a reasonable attorney. that would be greatly appreciated
I'm not sure what you would need an Canadian immigration lawyer for.. It's already been identified that you don't have an eligible family member in Canada. If you are seeking an American immigration lawyer to assist in your US claim, I can't answer that question. Sorry.

hemo293

Feb 22, 2017
zardoz said:
I'm not sure what you would need an Canadian immigration lawyer for.. It's already been identified that you don't have an eligible family member in Canada. If you are seeking an American immigration lawyer to assist in your US claim, I can't answer that question. Sorry.
I don't see anywhere in my question that I said I need a US attorney to help me with my claim because I already do have one ,but thank you anyway.