+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I need help. Any ideas on how we can get/migrate to Canada?

jepoyserveg

Apr 11, 2012
Hi, me and my wife are currently working in Singapore for almost 4 years now.
Both from Philippines. No children yet. Ages 28 and 29.
Husband - Systems administrator, 4 years relevant experience. Total IT experiences is 6 years.
Wife - Customer Support, 6 years experience.

We want to migrate in Canada.
Our Aunt is already in Ontario for more than 2 years now.
She migrated using skilled migration.

Our problem is, our Skill is not within the 29 skills Canada is looking for.

We seek help from an Agency based in the Philippines.
They suggested AEO and we need to shell out more than Ca$10,000.
Our Aunt suggested Student Visa, tuition fee is still around Ca$10,000 right?
These approaches are very expensive :( and unsure.

Worst case was my wife will study as a Caregiver and work for 2 years there.
I can't go with her and I can only follow after 2 years right? I don't want her to go there alone :(

What are our possible options?
Please if anyone can share their ideas and enlighten us on how we can reach our Canada Dream.

kavya

Champion Member
Sep 30, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
ND VO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10//06/2010
Doc's Request.
30/10/2010
AOR Received.
15/01/2011
Tell me your wife's background qualification as well what she intended to study there at? If she get hold to PhD offer then your dreams get true. So, depends on what she is planning to study there. I mean PhD students get a lot of benifits there which can direct u for easy processing for PR.

God Bless,
Kavya

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Studying is a pretty good way to get your foot in the door to immigrate. You can look for a PhD program if you qualify or otherwise see if you can find a Masters program where you work as a TA or an RA. Then you will not be paying for it.

If one of you is on a study visa, the spouse can apply for an open work permit and can be separately working on your immigration as the other one is studying, say if you have a skilled job, your employer may be able to sponsor you under PNP or you may be able to apply under CEC after 2 years of work.

saahil

Mar 22, 2012
Brother,

check out the 29 occupation list.... see any job listed one is close related to your job
try to get a job in that... work for 1 full yr .. get reference letters pay stubs every possible thing
and the other 3 yrs of exp show it in your own field... i think you will be awarded with full 21 points this way...
i yr full time work exp listed in NOC
other 3 yrs of your previous exp....
i think this is the best way.... i hope this helps..
seniors correct me if im wrong
thanks

Saahil

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Problem with the FSW and 29 occupations is that there are caps and the caps fill up very fast plus they can change the list of occupations at any time. If you get a job that is close, work for one year and then want to apply, the job may not be on the list any more.

The live in caregiver option is not really the best. If you both have the relevant course or caregiver experience, you could both go as live in caregivers but keep in mind that a live in caregiver lives with their employer so unless you manage to get a job for the same employer (unlikely) you can not live together.

saahil

Mar 22, 2012
Oh yess.... more likely it will not be in the list as it keeps changing...
but this can be one of the possibility, if you want to do it, you will
have to take a chance.. And also, i think there are most of the NOC's
which are in the list for yrs.... not sure though.. you gotta do some research on it..
never give up.....
All the Very best :)

Saahil

jepoyserveg

Apr 11, 2012
kavya said:
Tell me your wife's background qualification as well what she intended to study there at? If she get hold to PhD offer then your dreams get true. So, depends on what she is planning to study there. I mean PhD students get a lot of benifits there which can direct u for easy processing for PR.

God Bless,
Kavya
My wife and I , only have Bachelor's degree :( so PhD is hard to get, we have to take Masteral etc.
We plan to study some graduate studies related to our current occupation.

Leon said:
Studying is a pretty good way to get your foot in the door to immigrate. You can look for a PhD program if you qualify or otherwise see if you can find a Masters program where you work as a TA or an RA. Then you will not be paying for it.

If one of you is on a study visa, the spouse can apply for an open work permit and can be separately working on your immigration as the other one is studying, say if you have a skilled job, your employer may be able to sponsor you under PNP or you may be able to apply under CEC after 2 years of work.
Sorry for asking, what is a TA or RA?
This was our initial plan, to save more money enough to support the studies.
Then my wife will get a work permit so she can look for a job.
Am I allowed to study and work part time?

jepoyserveg

Apr 11, 2012
saahil said:
Oh yess.... more likely it will not be in the list as it keeps changing...
but this can be one of the possibility, if you want to do it, you will
have to take a chance.. And also, i think there are most of the NOC's
which are in the list for yrs.... not sure though.. you gotta do some research on it..
never give up.....
All the Very best :)

Saahil
I will never give up Brother! Thank you for the encouragement.
I will have to do a lot more research and see which possible occupation will help me get into the NOC list.

Leon said:
Problem with the FSW and 29 occupations is that there are caps and the caps fill up very fast plus they can change the list of occupations at any time. If you get a job that is close, work for one year and then want to apply, the job may not be on the list any more.

The live in caregiver option is not really the best. If you both have the relevant course or caregiver experience, you could both go as live in caregivers but keep in mind that a live in caregiver lives with their employer so unless you manage to get a job for the same employer (unlikely) you can not live together.
We plan to have her work as a caregiver of her Aunt once they have a baby already.
But I can't stand to be away from my wife for 2 years :(
And you are right, it is quite impossible to have the same employer :(

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jepoyserveg said:
Sorry for asking, what is a TA or RA?
This was our initial plan, to save more money enough to support the studies.
Then my wife will get a work permit so she can look for a job.
TA = Teaching assistant, RA = Research assistant. I am not sure you can find positions like that in every field or every university but I knew some people in the past who got positions like that and came off having to pay nothing, even for top universities in the US. Look into if you find something like that.

If you are working as a TA or RA, you probably will not have extra time to work alongside with it but a student may after 6 months of studies apply for an off campus work permit. This permit would allow you to work up to 20 hours a week during the semester and full time on holidays.

nano24482

Champion Member
Jan 30, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28/02/2010
Doc's Request.
20/04/2010
AOR Received.
27/08/2010
File Transfer...
27/04/2010
While I agree that getting a TA/RA is a very good option, please note you may need recommendations from academic fields.
i.e. your professor or someone who knows what you do needs to write a reference for you and your future college prof(in canada) would only consider the reference if he/she knows the credibility of that person.

My husband is currently in Canada on a student visa as a research assistant doing his PhD. The pay will not be more than 15 to 16 thousand per annum..

Start by researching Canadian Universities.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
jepoyserveg said:
It depends...

If you are here on a study permit, then you may qualify to work part time. All students are allowed to take on campus jobs (i.e. jobs at the university or college). However these are extremely difficult to get so don't count on one. Once you have completed six months of full-time studies, you will qualify for an off campus work permit that will allow you to work up to 20 hours a week part time (as long as you continue to attend school full time and as long as you attend a school that qualifies for the off campus work permit).

To qualify for a study permit, you also have to be able to prove that you have strong ties to your home country and have no plans to remain in Canada long term. So this is something you should also keep in mind if you plan on applying.

From a bank account standpoint, you must be able to show funds to cover first year tuition, an extra $10K in living expenses and a few more thousand for travel expenses. If your spouse is accompanying you, you will have to show an even higher amount of funds.

saahil

Mar 22, 2012
Good Spirit...

Remember there are so many people out there who have made it to canada just
with the help of these forums and few experienced people over here....
have faith ...

thanks