+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I am Still Eligible to Sponsor My Wife Even Though I am in Collections?

alemoo

Star Member
Dec 8, 2014
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
27-04-2017
Doc's Request.
06-09-2018
AOR Received.
28-05-2017
Med's Request
02-01-2018
Med's Done....
02-09-2018
Interview........
None
Hello all,

I discovered that shortly after I moved to Mexico to work and live with my wife, I went into collections for some small personal credit card debts, a small financial loan, and an internet company. I am hearing mixed responses of a sponsor's eligibility to sponsor someone if they have bad credit or if they have a low income. Can someone clarify this for me?

I can get a letter from a previous temp employment agency that says that they believe they would have no problem finding me full time employment again, when I return to Canada, and I can write a letter in my application explaining the situation that led to my financial problems, and how I plan on rebuilding my finances and paying off debs when the PR for my wife gets approved.

Of course I will also get a letter from my parents or close friends saying we can live with them while we wait for my first paycheck when I return to Canada - or some way to assure CIC that we will have no problems re-establishing ourselves when PR is granted. I moved to Mexico City for a job offer, and because my wife can't demonstrate strong ties to Mexico, we both feel it's highly unlikely she will get accepted for a visitor visa to Canada, and also, if she is denied the visa, perhaps it will look bad on our application (we don't want it to appear that she is desperate to enter Canada). And yes, I'm aware the Liberals claim they are going to remove Mexico's visitor visa requirement but we are not going to wait forever.

Also, my wife speaks fluent English but simply doesn't have any official papers to certify that (I think it's called IELTS?) Will this be a problem? Is it better that she writes the official English literacy test?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There is no minimum income requirement (or credit rating/score) to sponsor your wife. As long as you are not in bankruptcy proceedings, on Social Assistance, and can simply show CIC how you will support yourselves, you should be fine...at least with that portion of being approved as her sponsor.

Good luck!

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
CIC does not check credit reports so they will not be aware of any collections issue you have.

And CIC doesn't care about english literacy of the applicant. No section of the PR app asks for this so there is no need to have any papers regarding this.

alemoo

Star Member
Dec 8, 2014
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
27-04-2017
Doc's Request.
06-09-2018
AOR Received.
28-05-2017
Med's Request
02-01-2018
Med's Done....
02-09-2018
Interview........
None
Thanks, Rob and Ponga. You have both answered quite a lot of my previous posts. I may soon have to begin sending you consultation payments haha. Note to self: Fly to Mexico City next time; don't drive there from Canada.