+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to sever ties with home country

statusq

Oct 25, 2014
Hello, sorry if this question's been answered before. If so, can you please direct me to the answer? I couldn't find it!

After about a year of non-communication, immigration has now requested additional documents from me and my Chinese wife (I am sponsoring her to get PR). On thing they want to see is proof that both of us are severing ties with China, and making long term plans for Canada.

We have no car or house to sell. I assume that all we can do to fulfil this criteria is to send a bunch of money to my Canadian bank. I was thinking $10,000 CDN would suffice. Does anybody know exactly what Canada Immigration wants to see in this respect?

Thanks for your help!
William

o6ocpaka

Sep 19, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-02-2015
AOR Received.
none
File Transfer...
20-04-2015
Med's Done....
07-12-2014
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
visa exempt
VISA ISSUED...
08-10-2015
LANDED..........
11-11-2015
statusq said:
Hello, sorry if this question's been answered before. If so, can you please direct me to the answer? I couldn't find it!

After about a year of non-communication, immigration has now requested additional documents from me and my Chinese wife (I am sponsoring her to get PR). On thing they want to see is proof that both of us are severing ties with China, and making long term plans for Canada.

We have no car or house to sell. I assume that all we can do to fulfil this criteria is to send a bunch of money to my Canadian bank. I was thinking $10,000 CDN would suffice. Does anybody know exactly what Canada Immigration wants to see in this respect?

Thanks for your help!
William
If its one of those *intent* to return emails, then we also got it and as a sponsor I did not even leave Canada! I had to provide employment letter, pay stubs, my T4, bills etc. They are pretty picky, basically anything that proves that I live in Canada. For you I guess something like lease agreements, mortgage payments, employment letter should work. They won't let you sponsor from the outside the country.

rugrat907

Feb 3, 2015
California
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2015
AOR Received.
25-04-2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
21-11-2014, remeds on 04-12-2015
VISA ISSUED...
COPR issued 21-12-2015
statusq said:

Thanks for your help!
William
From everything I've seen on here, that's probably not enough. You should put together documents that show any contact with prospective employers, or if you are staying with your current one, a letter from them stating that you will be returning to Canada. Also any efforts that show you are looking for housing. If you are going to be staying with friends or relatives, get a letter from them stating that, or any correspondence (for instance, emails with friends or relatives) you have that states you are returning to Canada. I'm assuming you sent some of this with your original application, but resend it, plus anything new you can come up with.

Someone more senior than me will probably come along and verify too...but I'd say this is one area where you don't want to be skimpy with information since they will want to see concrete plans.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
o6ocpaka said:
If its one of those *intent* to return emails, then we also got it and as a sponsor I did not even leave Canada! I had to provide employment letter, pay stubs, my T4, bills etc. They are pretty picky, basically anything that proves that I live in Canada. For you I guess something like lease agreements, mortgage payments, employment letter should work. They won't let you sponsor from the outside the country.
If the sponsor is a Canadian citizen, they are perfectly entitled to sponsor from outside Canada. All the sponsor needs to do is demonstrate the "intent to return", which is why this thread is here.

o6ocpaka

Sep 19, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-02-2015
AOR Received.
none
File Transfer...
20-04-2015
Med's Done....
07-12-2014
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
visa exempt
VISA ISSUED...
08-10-2015
LANDED..........
11-11-2015
zardoz said:
If the sponsor is a Canadian citizen, they are perfectly entitled to sponsor from outside Canada. All the sponsor needs to do is demonstrate the "intent to return", which is why this thread is here.
Sorry, maybe I was not clear. Yes, you can start the sponsorship process while outside and get approved, but you would have to convince CIC that you are returning to Canada once the spouse gets their PR. This is what sponsoring to me really is :)

statusq

Oct 25, 2014
Thanks for the responses. Unfortunately, the best I have is some records that I've applied for a few jobs, though haven't secured one yet.

So then, is the idea of sending money to Canada off the mark? I was thinking of sending $10,000 CDN total from my wife and my bank accounts to my Canadian bank account. Is that useful, or is it enough money?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
statusq said:
Thanks for the responses. Unfortunately, the best I have is some records that I've applied for a few jobs, though haven't secured one yet.

So then, is the idea of sending money to Canada off the mark? I was thinking of sending $10,000 CDN total from my wife and my bank accounts to my Canadian bank account. Is that useful, or is it enough money?
In all honesty, it's a meaningless gesture. Start looking for jobs and somewhere to live. Contact realtors for information. All the sort of thing that you actually need to be doing in order to return..