+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to prove intent on moving to Canada??

jktokyo

Jun 27, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Manilla
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-11-12
File Transfer...
22-01-13
Does anyone have any ideas on how to prove you are planning a move back to Canada? I am applying for a Common Law sponsorship for my partner of 6-years. We have plenty of paperwork to prove our relationship but not sure how to prove our intent of moving to Canada. I am a Canadian citizen by birth and lived in Canada until I was 23-years old but have been living in Japan for the last 22-years. Our plan is to move to Calgary, find jobs and basically hope for the best. I haven't applied for any jobs since we have no idea when the visa will be ready. We are not renting or buying a place for the same reason. The only thing i could think to write is that I have been looking for jobs and apartments online.

Any other ideas???

truesmile

Champion Member
Jun 7, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
MNL
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-05-2012
AOR Received.
18-07-2012
File Transfer...
24-07-2012
Med's Done....
18-05-2012
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
05-12-2012
VISA ISSUED...
08-01-2013
LANDED..........
02-02-2013
I think the experts here are going to tell that it's not enough. Now I haven't seen this suggested here (what does everybody think)? Wouldn't it be easier to come for a visit, and then sort of change your mind and decide to stay? I realize that that may not work depending on how much you will move here, unless you can arrange that later.

meeshy

Star Member
May 31, 2012
Cancun, Mexico
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-07-2012
Doc's Request.
12-10-2012 (PGR and SSP) 5-02-2013
AOR Received.
12-10-2012
File Transfer...
26-08-2012
Med's Done....
20-06-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
1-03-2013
LANDED..........
10-04-2013
Your common law partner is able to visit Canada correct? Would it not be easier to go visit and find a job, and apply from there? As there is no other way to proof you will go back as you have been gone so long. Or if you can at least get some kind of offer from a company?

jktokyo

Jun 27, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Manilla
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-11-12
File Transfer...
22-01-13
There are two main reasons I am applying from here.

1) I have heard applying from outside the country is much faster than an inland application.
2) We want her to have her Visa when she arrives so she can look for work. I am sure she would not be happy sitting at home for over a year until her visa was approved.

We need to apply through the Manilla office and they are saying it will take around 9 months. This is way to far in advance for us to be thinking of renting a place or for applying for any jobs.

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05/11/12, received in Canada 19/11/12
LANDED..........
24/11/12, PR card received 30/01/12
jktokyo said:
Does anyone have any ideas on how to prove you are planning a move back to Canada? I am applying for a Common Law sponsorship for my partner of 6-years. We have plenty of paperwork to prove our relationship but not sure how to prove our intent of moving to Canada. I am a Canadian citizen by birth and lived in Canada until I was 23-years old but have been living in Japan for the last 22-years. Our plan is to move to Calgary, find jobs and basically hope for the best. I haven't applied for any jobs since we have no idea when the visa will be ready. We are not renting or buying a place for the same reason. The only thing i could think to write is that I have been looking for jobs and apartments online.

Any other ideas???
Hey!

there is quite a few things that you can do to prove. All in all, it should make a convincing picture to CIC that you are really intending to move there, and not just applying to have a status for your partner. I know it sounds obvious, but you "just" need to show CIC that you have a plan.

So here is what I suggest : start contacting moving companies and get quotes from moving to Japan back to Canada. even if you don't have a fixed date, you probably have already an "idea" of when you would want to move. Get the quotation, the exchanges of emails with the companies, and include that.
When you are coming to Canada, where will you stay? with friends, or family? if that's the case, at least for the first 2 weeks let's say, get whoever will host you to write a letter stating that they know of your intention to relocate to Canada, and that they are willing to let you stay with them until you get on your feet.
If you have been looking for jobs and apartment online - include that. Print your browser history if needed. Print any email contact you have had with a placement agency or a real estate agency... and also include details on where you plan to live, why it makes sense there, what type of savings will allow you to survive the first months etc. (I suppose you are including that already in the financial part, but it's always worth showing CIC that you have a plan).

If you have assets in Canada (bank account etc) - include that.

One way to also do it is to include the "plan to move out of Japan". I imagine that moving out of Japan, you will have a fair amount of administrative things to take care of... sell your own place if you own one, the car, cancel your residency, close your bank account, file taxes etc... so show CIC that you have that in mind, and that you are serious about moving to Canada and leaving Japan... one way to do it is to write a timeline... pick a "possible date" for you to move back to Canada (let's say, for the purpose of the exercise, june 2013).

create a timeline (any format you want) with at the end: June 2013 - move to Canada. and work backwards from there - if you have one month notice to resign from your work, include a line in May 2013 "resign from work". Include as many practical details as possible... (see the list before).

We did that - and my partner has been approved as a sponsor...which doesn't mean that it's enough in your case, as of course each case is individual, but there isn't "one way" to prove that you are going back (unless you have a job offer of course), but all the little details (that you have probably started discussing with your wife) that can "prove" that you are going back. Also - as your partner is from a country where the living standards are similar to Canada, you will less likely be suspected to apply for a PR and not actually move to Canada. It might not be fair to applicants coming from other countries, but it does play a part in the assessment from what I understand ( I don't work for CIC, so of course, I can't guarantee anything!).

Good luck,
Sweden

jktokyo

Jun 27, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Manilla
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-11-12
File Transfer...
22-01-13
Thank you for your suggestions Sweden.

A time line ect. hopefully will help. I will start working on that now.

Actually leaving Japan isn't all that complicated for me. I sold my motorcycle a few months back and we just rent our apartment. We are not planning on bringing anything to Canada except for a few suitcases and hopefully a Hokkaido dog (I hate to do things the easy way :)). We may ship a few bits and pieces by seamail but that is it.

meeshy

Star Member
May 31, 2012
Cancun, Mexico
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-07-2012
Doc's Request.
12-10-2012 (PGR and SSP) 5-02-2013
AOR Received.
12-10-2012
File Transfer...
26-08-2012
Med's Done....
20-06-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
1-03-2013
LANDED..........
10-04-2013
jktokyo said:
There are two main reasons I am applying from here.

1) I have heard applying from outside the country is much faster than an inland application.
2) We want her to have her Visa when she arrives so she can look for work. I am sure she would not be happy sitting at home for over a year until her visa was approved.

We need to apply through the Manilla office and they are saying it will take around 9 months. This is way to far in advance for us to be thinking of renting a place or for applying for any jobs.
It is faster to apply for an outland application but you can send your application for outland processing even if you are living in Canada.

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05/11/12, received in Canada 19/11/12
LANDED..........
24/11/12, PR card received 30/01/12
jktokyo said:
Thank you for your suggestions Sweden.

A time line ect. hopefully will help. I will start working on that now.

Actually leaving Japan isn't all that complicated for me. I sold my motorcycle a few months back and we just rent our apartment. We are not planning on bringing anything to Canada except for a few suitcases and hopefully a Hokkaido dog (I hate to do things the easy way :)). We may ship a few bits and pieces by seamail but that is it.
Well - bringing a dog will probably require a bit of paperwork (quarantine, vaccination, checking which airlines is the best, etc!) so that's definitely a good proof... you'll probably have to cancel some type of residency in Japan, and a few other administrative details (they tend to add up at the end!)...

Good luck with your application,
Sweden

jktokyo

Jun 27, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Manilla
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-11-12
File Transfer...
22-01-13
It is faster to apply for an outland application but you can send your application for outland processing even if you are living in Canada

Really? I had no idea you could do that.

tavora

Star Member
May 18, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-07-2012
AOR Received.
N/A
File Transfer...
20-09-2012
Med's Done....
02-07-2012
Interview........
Waived!
Passport Req..
07-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
10-05-2013
LANDED..........
31-05-2013
jktokyo said:
It is faster to apply for an outland application but you can send your application for outland processing even if you are living in Canada

Really? I had no idea you could do that.
Yes, many spouses/partners from visa-exempt countries come to Canada as visitors to wait out their PR processing -- outland or inland is in relation to where it is processed, not necessarily where the applicant physically is. So yes, you wife could come to Canada as a visitor and you could apply outland.