+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to make 1 year work experience in Canada to improve EE score?

ALTN

Star Member
May 16, 2016
I'm a 30 year old IT professional, single, have 18 months foreign work experience, my scores in IELTS and TEF cannot be improved, I have 2 degrees each obtained upon 3 years of post secondary education and my EE score still doesn't qualify for an EE invitation. However if I add to all the above 1 year of work experience in Canada my score will jump to 500+, which should qualify me without a hitch. Is it easy to find a temporary IT job sponsor in Canada?

After some research I found that the IEC work permit (young professional category for my specific case) does not require a LMIA, which makes sponsorship easier for employers, but I can't seem to find a legit online resource of temporary work sponsors in Canada, any suggestions?

Note that recognized organizations at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/iec/ros.asp are targeting students mostly, and all their opportunities are either working holidays, volunteer opportunities, or internships which to my knowledge do not qualify as work experience for EE.

I can provide further information if needed. Any help is appreciated.

Ioftenyell

Jun 29, 2016
ALTN said:
I'm a 30 year old IT professional, single, have 18 months foreign work experience, my scores in IELTS and TEF cannot be improved, I have 2 degrees each obtained upon 3 years of post secondary education and my EE score still doesn't qualify for an EE invitation. However if I add to all the above 1 year of work experience in Canada my score will jump to 500+, which should qualify me without a hitch. Is it easy to find a temporary IT job sponsor in Canada?

Not easy. Definitely possible. No longer known as sponsor, you will need a LMIA. Rather, a "positive LMIA". There are several guides in this forum thoroughly explaining what the process for LMIA entails.

After some research I found that the IEC work permit (young professional category for my specific case) does not require a LMIA, which makes sponsorship easier for employers, but I can't seem to find a legit online resource of temporary work sponsors in Canada, any suggestions?

Not quite sure about this point. However, finding job offers from outside Canada is like finding a needle in haystack unless you are quite prepared and experienced in a particular field. Sorry to say but if at this point in time if you are not qualified enough to even apply for EE without the year of canadian education, then you are not what they are looking for.

Note that recognized organizations at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/iec/ros.asp are targeting students mostly, and all their opportunities are either working holidays, volunteer opportunities, or internships which to my knowledge do not qualify as work experience for EE.

unfortuntely those opportunities do not qualify for EE purposes. It has to be a full time permanent job. I can't stress this enough. Full time permanent jobs are pretty scarce or non existent if you are not PR or citizen. Companies will most likely offer you a contract for less than 12 months to test the waters prior to offer you a full time position.

I can provide further information if needed. Any help is appreciated.
Hope this helps.

GoHaPPyCaN

May 16, 2016
Ottawa
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 19th
Doc's Request.
May 2nd
Nomination.....
Cancelled
AOR Received.
April 20th
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
No
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
May 10th
Interview........
No
Passport Req..
September 28th
VISA ISSUED...
October 6th
LANDED..........
Already in CaNaDa !
I've 2 years and a half of work experience in Canada with a working holiday visa and then with a young professional visa. My work was full-time.

So yes, it does count for EE.

Reactions: shivamtiwari93

ALTN

Star Member
May 16, 2016
@Ioftenyell

Thanks for replying, I'm not quite convinced about a couple things though:
1-
No longer known as sponsor, you will need a LMIA
from http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=935&top=25
IEC is part of the International Mobility Program, which means employers who hire IEC participants do not need to complete a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA)
which contradicts your statement, no?

2-
unfortunately those opportunities do not qualify for EE purposes. It has to be a full time permanent job.
cic requires the 1 year experience be full time (at least 35 hours/week), paid, and continuous, which if I'm not mistaken qualifies a 1 year full time contract as canadian work experience. Can you refer a link where cic requires Canadian work experience be permanent?

@GoHaPPyCaN

Thanks for replying, mind sharing where you got your sponsor from? also were you a student when you first applied?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
ALTN said:
Is it easy to find a temporary IT job sponsor in Canada?

Not easy but possible.

If you are eligible for the IEC work permit, go for it. The IEC work permit does not require an LMIA. Employers are employers, not "sponsors". The IEC permit is an open work permit, which means you do not have to have arranged employment before you arrive in Canada. Most people on IEC permits come to Canada and then find their jobs. Having an open work permit definitely makes it easier for employers.

Of course, if you come to Canada on a 1-year permit and do not start working on the day you arrive, you can understand that it is impossible to gain a full year of experience on a single IEC permit. You would have to be able to get a 2nd IEC permit (or find an employer willing to apply for the LMIA to keep you after your IEC permit expires).

"working holiday" is just a type of work permit (or an "attitude" toward the work), paid work experience is valid, as are paid internships (as long as the work is skilled). Unpaid experience (whether intern or just volunteer) is not eligible.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
ALTN said:
2- cic requires the 1 year experience be full time (at least 35 hours/week), paid, and continuous, which if I'm not mistaken qualifies a 1 year full time contract as canadian work experience. Can you refer a link where cic requires Canadian work experience be permanent?
"Full time" work is defined as "at least 30 hours per week" (not 35). To count as Canadian experience, "continuous" is not required. Permanent is not required.

People with an LMIA and a "valid job offer" (defined as a written offer of non-seasonal, permanent, full-time skilled employment upon your obtaining PR status) are eligible for a bonus 600 pts.

ALTN

Star Member
May 16, 2016
Thanks for all the info jes_ON! didn't know paid internships in Canada count as work experience for EE. That makes IEC recognized organizations a perfect option!

ALTN

Star Member
May 16, 2016
One more question @jes_ON if you don't mind:

Of course, if you come to Canada on a 1-year permit and do not start working on the day you arrive, you can understand that it is impossible to gain a full year of experience on a single IEC permit.
Some of the recognized organizations arrange internship deals before the candidate travels to Canada, I understand however that I need to arrive to Canada a few days before the internship start date to settle myself. Is-it possible to get a visa for longer than a year under IEC? I'm thinking AIESEC organization specifically, which I used in the past to join an internship opportunity in the US.

GoHaPPyCaN

May 16, 2016
Ottawa
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 19th
Doc's Request.
May 2nd
Nomination.....
Cancelled
AOR Received.
April 20th
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
No
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
May 10th
Interview........
No
Passport Req..
September 28th
VISA ISSUED...
October 6th
LANDED..........
Already in CaNaDa !
I first applied for a WHV, came to Canada, got a job. After few months, I asked my employer to sponsor me for the Young Professional Visa.
I was not a student.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
ALTN said:
Some of the recognized organizations arrange internship deals before the candidate travels to Canada, I understand however that I need to arrive to Canada a few days before the internship start date to settle myself. Is-it possible to get a visa for longer than a year under IEC? I'm thinking AIESEC organization specifically, which I used in the past to join an internship opportunity in the US.
IEC program rules are (usually) country specific, so you'd have to state your country of citizenship.

But no, IEC visas are not 'extendable,' and were not developed with the goal of helping people become permanent residents. Generally you will need to find a way to get a 2nd visa/work permit to qualify under the CEC program.

ALTN

Star Member
May 16, 2016
IEC program rules are (usually) country specific, so you'd have to state your country of citizenship.
My country of citizenship is Tunisia.

But no, IEC visas are not 'extendable,' and were not developed with the goal of helping people become permanent residents.
Understood, I'm just trying to find a "legal hack" to be honest, since there doesn't seem another reachable pathway towards Canadian work experience.

That said, I remember having read somewhere in cic website, that after the IEC work permit expires, the permit holder has the right to stay sometime as a tourist but not allowed to work. I'm wondering if same applies to the period prior to work permit start date... in other words, is it possible for an IEC work permit holder to arrive to Canada a few days prior to the work permit start date? if not is it possible to get a work permit valid for longer than a year in the first place (like @GoHaPPyCaN) and lift away any need of extension/renewal?

Last and not least, thanks a lot, I appreciate your help!

devnill

Dec 5, 2015
dan_and said:
I don't think you can participate in any IEC program if you're from Tunisia. There is no bilateral agreement between the two countries.

The typical pathway to Canadian work experience is studying in Canada and then applying for a PGWP.
Actually you can if you use an accredited organisation

International Experience Canada (IEC) provides youth with the opportunity to travel and work in Canada.

To participate:

your country of citizenship must have an agreement with Canada that allows you to apply for an IEC work permit, or
you may be able to use a Recognized Organization.

ALTN

Star Member
May 16, 2016
Thank you guys!

One more question: when you go through a recognized organization, and your country does not have any bilateral agreement with Canada, does that enforce restrictions on the IEP work permit duration? I need a work permit that's valid for longer than one year (maybe 18 months?) so that I can effectively make at least 1 year of canadian work experience, is that possible in my case? and if not would it be possible to switch to another type of work visa once my IEP permit expires? if so what is it?

@GoHaPPyCaN hope you see this, did your country have a bilateral agreement with Canada when you applied for a working holiday visa or did you use a recognized organization?

GoHaPPyCaN

May 16, 2016
Ottawa
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 19th
Doc's Request.
May 2nd
Nomination.....
Cancelled
AOR Received.
April 20th
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
No
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
May 10th
Interview........
No
Passport Req..
September 28th
VISA ISSUED...
October 6th
LANDED..........
Already in CaNaDa !
ALTN said:
I'm wondering if same applies to the period prior to work permit start date... in other words, is it possible for an IEC work permit holder to arrive to Canada a few days prior to the work permit start date? if not is it possible to get a work permit valid for longer than a year in the first place (like @GoHaPPyCaN) and lift away any need of extension/renewal?

Last and not least, thanks a lot, I appreciate your help!
No, you can't arrive before your work permit starts because the day you arrive in Canada will be the starting date of your work permit. You are given a work permit that will be issued at the Border Agency, when you arrive.

My first work permit was for 1 year (WHV). My second one was for 18 months (Young Professional Visa). Both of them are not renewable.