+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to handle this...

Kurisuti

Nov 2, 2011
My situation is probably nothing all that special, but I am so lost as to how I'm supposed to go about this.

I'd really like to stay for a long time in Canada to be with my fiance, but the IOs really seem to be against us. (been turned away twice now) I know that is their job to turn away people who look like they might look to live in Canada illegally, and I respect that, but how else am I supposed to get a PR card via Family Class? A requirement is that we have to have lived together for a set amount of time.

How do people manage to live together without breaking the rules and apply for family class visa? Can I actually apply for a visitor's visa, even if I don't technically -need- one since I'm from the States? Might that work better and keep me from having to lie to the IOs?

I really would like to do things legally yet doing such seems impossible. I don't have bunches of money to just spend on visits every month, (I work temp jobs and such) and my fiance isn't really that well enough to travel.

Any help would be appreciated. :c

YorkFactory

Oct 18, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
When are you getting married? You should be able to apply after that.

Kurisuti

Nov 2, 2011
Next time I'm in Canada, we are getting married. It will be in January. And yes, I'm aware we can apply for PRV after we get married, but isn't there a requirement where you have to have lived together for a certain time?

I was under the impression that if my sweetie allowed me to live with her, I'd still be living illegally in Canada. Or does being her spouse grant a little leeway with staying in the country?

I have already been able to visit her once, but that was it. I haven't been able to since then. It's got me very concerned. :c

angelbrat

Oct 31, 2009
If you are married, there is no time limit. The 'live together for 12 month rule', only applies to common law applications.

Kurisuti

Nov 2, 2011
Ah thank you very much, angelbrat, YorkFactory. :)

That is good to know that there is no time limit required for marriages. I will obviously want to spend a lot of time with her anyway, but that's a huge financial pressure off us lol.